New Tesla Battery (PowerWall) - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
New Tesla Battery (PowerWall)

Quote:
Powerwall comes in 10 kWh weekly cycle and 7 kWh daily cycle models. Both are guaranteed for ten years and are sufficient to power most homes during peak evening hours. Multiple batteries can be installed together for homes with greater energy needs.
Tesla
Quote:
Specs
  • Technology Wall mounted, rechargeable lithium ion battery with liquid thermal control.
  • Models 10 kWh $3,500 For backup applications 7 kWh $3,000 For daily cycle applications
  • Warranty Ten year warranty with an optional ten year extension.
  • Efficiency 92% round-trip DC efficiency
  • Power 2.0 kW continuous, 3.3 kW peak
  • Voltage 350 450 volts
  • Current 5 amp nominal, 8.5 amp peak output
  • Compatibility Single phase and three phase utility grid compatible.
  • Operating Temperature -4F to 110F / -20C to 43C
  • Enclosure Rated for indoor and outdoor installation.
  • Installation Requires installation by a trained electrician. AC-DC inverter not included.
  • Weight 220 lbs / 100 kg
  • Dimensions 52.1" x 33.9" x 7.1"
    130 cm x 86 cm x 18 cm
  • Certifications UL listed
A little big and a little heavy, but solar power ac may be an option at some point not too far in the future.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Neither of these batteries is capable of keeping a typical home running thru the night.

The average American home uses 30 kw-hrs a day.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #3

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Neither of these batteries is capable of keeping a typical home running thru the night.

But wouldn't 7 kWh be enough to run electricity including ac for a fiberglass RV?
Old 05-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
So add the cost and weight and space of large inverter to power your trailer AC needs. Plus the solar cost to recharge. I think you'd be up at $5K or more with less storage on board.

My Honda 2000i was $600, AND I get to use it on every trailer I have now and in the future.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014 V6 Jeep Cherokee
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Norm,
I don't believe it's meant to. The report I read said that one pack is enough to meet a typical homes energy needs for 4-5 hours. If you do not have solar then you recharge them during off peak hours to use during peak usage times.
If you do have solar then they estimate break even in 3 years.
That said I am still not quite interested just yet......
Sid
Old 05-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: casita 17 SD
Pennsylvania
average

Norm, you should contact the folks at Tesla and tell them to make sure they design everything for the AVERAGE household.. In my case, either one of them would run lights, refrigeration, the water pump, stereo and computers. The sun does the hot water and wood does the heat.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:23 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
So add the cost and weight and space of large inverter to power your trailer AC needs. Plus the solar cost to recharge. I think you'd be up at $5K or more with less storage on board. My Honda 2000i was $600, AND I get to use it on every trailer I have now and in the future. Charlie Y
A Honda 2000i genny is not $600 but a $1,000 today. A grand buys a lot of solar and you don't have to mess with fuel, etc. (although you do have to find sun and clean the panels, ain't no free lunch<_<). It is just a matter of time before a viable 12V (or 24, or 48, whatever makes sense with the battery and solar array) compressor A/C hits the market. A high capacity flat battery mounted down low under the floor of an egg with integrated solar above sounds like a great thing. And that brings up a concept that may be more workable, a large capacity battery, appropriately matched appliances, and a small genny for not so sunny days. Not much here they don't already have in Toyota Prius.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:16 AM   #8

Florida
Thoughts on Tesla

The following is an article about the Tesla Battery, basically a promotional piece.

For many peoples view of the reality of the battery and it's real cost read the comment section, a good mind stretching exercise.

Tesla announces low cost batteries for off grid homes | Watts Up With That?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-03-2015, 07:47 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: 30' jayco & 1974 Boler
Ontario
Registry
Norm , I am astonished that you use 35 kwh of electricity each day . I only consume 5-7 kwh in the summer (with a/c) and 11-12 in the winter with the furnace running when it's -30 to -50 (canadian winters) could tou explain ? regards John
Old 05-03-2015, 07:58 AM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
John, I don't know where your numbers came from, but don't tell the power company.
A window a/c, that draws about 1000 watts, will consume that much in a day and a 1000 watt space heater will draw even more trying to keep one room warm.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #11

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Jc :assuming you are not total electric, what is your fuel bill at -50?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
From the US Dept of Energy:

In 2013, the average annual electricity consumption for a U.S. residential utility customer was 10,908 kilowatthours (kWh), an average of 909 kWh per month. Louisiana had the highest annual consumption at 15,270 kWh, and Hawaii had the lowest at 6,176 kWh.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #13

Florida
John, As confirmed by Tom, I just posted the numbers. Here's the link if you're interested.

How much electricity does an American home use? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

It interests me that Hawaii had the lowest rate of usage where electric rates are 4 times LA. Price (and climate) can drive demand.

My electric bill in FL for March was $75 (about 15kw-hr/day) supporting an electric stove, washer, electric dryer, electric hot water,whole house air conditioning and electric heat. We do have LED lighting (24 bulbs) except for a couple of fluorescents in the kitchen. Of course we are a family of two.

My bill at the beach is higher where it's not unusual for us to be an extended family of six, a lot more dryer and hot water in that case.

For those interested, I bought the bulbs on Amazon, about $6 a piece. If the bulb runs four hours a day it pays for itself in power savings in about 200 days. As well they are available in bright white and warm yellow. We use both depending on the location.

None have failed and are expected to run for years, some may out live me.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Still dubious about the installed weight of the battery for a trailer. Wonder how much the shielding will be - lithium batteries burn really really well.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery