New tiny trailer blog - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #1

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
New tiny trailer blog

Check out livelaughroll.com

Quote from the author: "Elon Musk has disrupted the car industry - LiveLaughRoll can do it with tiny trailers. Lets reinvent Grandpa's trailer."

Picture from her post about tongue weight

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1805854696.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	62199
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Here is the link Live. Laugh. Roll.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #3

Name: Debbidear
Trailer: shopping
California
Thanks for the mention!

Hey thanks for mentioning the online magazine! I've been interested in these little lightweight trailers for a long time but only recently decided I was going to "just do it"! I was born in one apparently (but that was a while ago)!

I will be a solo traveler (except for when I get to bring my adorable granddaughter along!) so I don't want big - I want compact and efficient.

When I started looking for one last year, I really got a bit frustrated with what was out there. I started the online mag because I figured that if I was frustrated maybe others were too. As I started to talk about the idea of getting a tiny trailer to friends, I had some raised eyebrows and then ...interestingly, when I explained all the great things about them (and what they can do with them when they're not traveling), people started taking interest.

So, we'll see where this goes, but regardless...I continue my personal tiny trailer search! Saw the ParkLiner and Casita in person...so far.

Debbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
Check out livelaughroll.com

Quote from the author: "Elon Musk has disrupted the car industry - LiveLaughRoll can do it with tiny trailers. Lets reinvent Grandpa's trailer."

Picture from her post about tongue weight

Attachment 62199
Debbi Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Debbi,
Hopefully you will find what you are looking for and need, if not we will certainly give you some advice!!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Debbiedear...........

Thanks Denny and Jim for posting her link. Will check it out.

I almost did what is in that picture at the factory when I was checking
them out. I stepped into one they didn't put there jack under and the
tongue began to raise. You should have seen Alan and his son scurry
to hold the back end up..........LOL.

And the wife and daughter did it here at home once when both of them
got in the trailer before I got the support under it.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #6

California
Now you're making me nervous!!

Now you're making me nervous!! When I was posting that one about tongue weight I was thinking "seriously, people figure this out with a bathroom scale"!!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
Debbi,
Single axle trailers will tilt back if the rear stabilizers are not extended.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Debbi,
Single axle trailers will tilt back if the rear stabilizers are not extended.
A 13' trailer can be a carnival ride!

Hi Debbie, to FiberglassRV!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I had the water tanks in the scamp full, the gray tank full (doing leak checks on them), and I was in the back, and jumped on a piece…next thing I know, I hear the sound of the landing gear coming off the concrete blocks they were on. I scurried forward rather quickly. Luckily it was chocked, so it didnt go down the driveway and into the pickup.

I guess 78 gallons of water and me is ok, me jumping is not.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I had the water tanks in the scamp full, the gray tank full (doing leak checks on them), and I was in the back, and jumped on a piece…next thing I know, I hear the sound of the landing gear coming off the concrete blocks they were on. I scurried forward rather quickly. Luckily it was chocked, so it didnt go down the driveway and into the pickup.

I guess 78 gallons of water and me is ok, me jumping is not.

I'll remember not to do that!

Any advise on the hitch? I have a Ford Explorer Sport with a hitch on it now but I've heard conflicting ideas on putting on an anti-sway hitch.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A 13' trailer can be a carnival ride!

Hi Debbie, to FiberglassRV!!!
Thanks Donna! Good to know!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #12

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbi Lynn View Post

Any advise on the hitch? I have a Ford Explorer Sport with a hitch on it now but I've heard conflicting ideas on putting on an anti-sway hitch.
I would consult the manual. Some vehicles aren't rated for a weight distribution hitch, which is usually what sway control comes with, although I believe you can get them separately. I would think an explorer would be rated for it.

They certainly won't hurt, but depending on size/weight distribution of the trailer, it may not be needed, either.

I personally have never used one, and have mixed feelings about them. They have their purpose, but many people use them to overload a vehicle, or not load cargo for the correct tongue weight, and rely on the hitch to mask the problems. I'm of the opinion that if you NEED a wd hitch, then you should have a bigger tow vehicle, but you'll find the majority on here won't agree, and do it successfully. Weight distribution and sway control is never a bad idea (vehicle permitting) to combat weather/road conditions, but again, I feel it should tow ok without it under normal circumstances, or you're already pushing the envelope.

I know at least some of them need to be disconnected for backing up, or big dips also, I believe. I'm sure somebody that's used one will chime in.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #13

Michigan
Quote:

Debbi, the receiver on your Explorer is probably fine as long as its not all rusty and is class III or IV. That means it accepts a 2" square ball mount. Part of the WDH goes on the trailer and part slides into your 2" receiver.

Your vehicle is a 'traditional' SUV built on a pick-up truck frame. It should pull any of the smaller trailers without breaking a sweat. As always, consult the owners manual, but there are many people towing small FG trailers with smaller, much lighter uni-body SUVs.

My personal experience with a RAV4 and the Snoozy, 2850#, almost 400# tongue weight (both figures much higher than stock due to my modifications) a simple ball hitch, no WDH or anti-sway, over 9,000 miles last winter was zero problems, zero sway incidents.

The higher percent of trailer weight carried on the tongue, the less tendency to sway (good) but the more weight carried by the tow vehicles rear suspension and resultant rear end sag (bad). A rule of thumb is that around 10% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #14

California
Thanks for all that great advice Jared J and McDenny!

Someone told me the anti-sway can cause problems with turning, too. I have my manuals and will consult them and check on the class of hitch but it sounds like it will work.

I'm plan to take it easy on weather issues to start until I get used to towing... Fortunately, I'm out here in the west where there is a whole lot of "dry" going on.

thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
Debbi, the receiver on your Explorer is probably fine as long as its not all rusty and is class III or IV. That means it accepts a 2" square ball mount. Part of the WDH goes on the trailer and part slides into your 2" receiver.

Your vehicle is a 'traditional' SUV built on a pick-up truck frame. It should pull any of the smaller trailers without breaking a sweat. As always, consult the owners manual, but there are many people towing small FG trailers with smaller, much lighter uni-body SUVs.

My personal experience with a RAV4 and the Snoozy, 2850#, almost 400# tongue weight (both figures much higher than stock due to my modifications) a simple ball hitch, no WDH or anti-sway, over 9,000 miles last winter was zero problems, zero sway incidents.

The higher percent of trailer weight carried on the tongue, the less tendency to sway (good) but the more weight carried by the tow vehicles rear suspension and resultant rear end sag (bad). A rule of thumb is that around 10% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #15

California
Snoozy

McDenny - I know you have a Lil Snoozy. I am deciding between Casita, ParkLiner and the Snoozy. I like the headroom in the ParkLiner and the toilet/shower area. The whole trailer has a surprisingly roomy feel for a taller person

How is the bathroom/toilet/shower area and overall headroom for a taller guy (6' or so)? in the Snoozy? I'm only 5'4" but my 6'2" son was wondering...

I contacted Snoozy about the toilet but they didn't tell me the model so I could look it up.

Any other comments on the Snoozy?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Here's some pics of a stock Snoozy with options:

Backyard Photo Shoot

Thetford Cassette C200

http://www.thetford.com/home/product...2/default.aspx
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:

How is the bathroom/toilet/shower area and overall headroom for a taller guy (6' or so)? in the Snoozy? I'm only 5'4" but my 6'2" son was wondering...
?
Snoozy's interior height is listed at 6'4", compared to 6'5" for the Parkliner. The Parkliner cabin is a touch wider, but the Snoozy is longer. The Casita has a much longer history and a proven track record and customer service. It is a tough choice.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #18

Michigan
Quote:
McDenny - I know you have a Lil Snoozy. I am deciding between Casita, ParkLiner and the Snoozy. I like the headroom in the ParkLiner and the toilet/shower area. The whole trailer has a surprisingly roomy feel for a taller person

I contacted Snoozy about the toilet but they didn't tell me the model so I could look it up.

Any other comments on the Snoozy?
According to the website, the Snoozy headroom is 6'4". The bathroom is about 24" by 36", adequate room for comfortable reading. We have never used the shower, choose to leave the mess in the campground bathroom. Mostly only use the trailer bathroom at night. The Thetford cassette (C200CS) toilet is way better than a porta-potty, don't know if the others offer that option. Snoozy has surge disc brakes, others are electric, requiring more complexity and a brake controller in your tow vehicle. I like the Snoozy's rear door, I can easily load our two bikes in for traveling, much better than carrying them outside on a rack.

There are (relatively) lots of Casitas and Scamps around so you would be able to find used ones to look at not too far from home. In 5 months of Florida camping last winter I never saw a Parkliner or another Snoozy, you would probably have to travel to the East Coast to see them.

I think Snoozy's weakest point is the bed - one queen size is it. The sofa opens into a bed but its only long enough for a child. They may have a twin bed model now but I've not seen it. I believe the others have a bed at one end and a dinette and table that can be made into another bed on the other end. Casita has several differ models, Snoozy and Parkliner only have one.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #19

Kansas
I certainly wouldn't consider surge brakes to be an upgrade. Personally, I won't own a trailer with them.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #20

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I certainly wouldn't consider surge brakes to be an upgrade. Personally, I won't own a trailer with them.
I don't disagree that electric brakes give more control in that the trailer brakes can be operated independently of the tow vehicle.

Like everything, though, there are compromises. They are more complex, more prone to needing maintenance down the road and require a new skill on the driver's part to actuate them in a white-knuckle moment. Also, they don't work at all if the cheesy connectors we all use between the car and trailer don't make solid contact.

Every boat trailer and most contractors and industrial trailers use surge brakes.

Parkliner and Casita use electric brakes. Snoozy uses surge brakes. When I had a custom aluminum double axle trailer built for my boat the fab shop had a $250 up-charge for surge brakes vs their standard electric ones.