New to owning a trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
You mention that two windows need to be replaced.

If it's only the glass is broken, I suggest you replace the panes with polycarbonate plastic -- it's much lighter and tougher -- it won't shatter if you hit it. However the plastic scratches more easily than glass, and is significantly more expensive.

If you are talking about the sliders and both the glass and the sliding frames are missing, that's more of a challenge. Nobody makes windows like these anymore, but if you have a glass shop in town that has been around since the Flood they may well have the necessary parts in their "maybe useful junque" collection.

Good luck!

Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Trailer: Compact Jr
Thank you all for the kind words. I like it here because I feel like yall have all been where I am at one point or another lol. But the next time I am off I will definantly be back out on the trailer trying at least to have the window and door completley sealed up so it wont leak and will keep the mud dobbers out. I pulled up the linolum flooring that was there and the carpet squares someone put in the front of the trailer. Let me tell you it was a joy ripping out those carpet squares . I saw where you unbolt the floor from the fiberglass and now it does not seem so scary to fix. I would love to find an owners manuel on this thing or else I am just going to rip out all of the wires and make it up as I go. I have a friend that has a leather sewing machine so I am thinking that we might be able to sew together a new popup canvas. but that is still a ways away. Thank you Dana for your link, your trailer looks alot like mine. Down here in Texas we need more of an a/c unit than a heater, so if the heater does not work I am instaling a ac unit. I will be more than happy to keep everyone posted because yall have great so far with answering my questions...and there will be many more

Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Congratulations on rescuing your trailer. I didn't realize south Texas weather created black mold on vehicles like here in western Washington state

And it looks like barnacles on the pop-top.. wonder how that happened?

Your trailer looks pretty good inside. Plenty of help here for you. What do you tow with?

74 compact II

francene is offline   Reply With Quote