New to the molded world - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: In the market
Michigan
New to the molded world

Hi all,
DW and I are new to molded Fiberglass rigs and to this forum, but not to camping. We have been camping for almost 40 years.

I heard a rumor that Oliver Technologies is going to start production of the Oliver again soon. Any truth to this rumor? And the real question I have and don't mean to be disrespectful in any way,,,,,but so what? Is this a big deal? I hear lots of good things about them. What is the scoop on the Oliver? Should I break into my piggy bank to buy one?

Thanks,

Ray
ats1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Oliver makes a very nice, high end FG camper. Whether you want one is really a personal preference.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ume-56770.html
Old 05-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ray, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

WHEN Oliver ramps up to production, they will be the only 22' all molded trailer currently in production. There are other manufacturers making a bit smaller (Escape with the 19' and soon-to-be 21') and Bigfoot with the 21' and 25'.

What sets the Oliver apart, is it's a double-hull and the price per square foot is much higher than the other all moldeds. Some would say that is warranted, but that's up for discussion among buyers, etc.

There's a bunch of us waiting (im)patiently for the Escape 21' to hatch. Hopefully some of us attending gatherings on the WET coast will get to see it before Escape truly ramps up production in the fall.

So... what are YOU looking for in an all molded towable?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I would suggest shoppng for a decent used FGRV for your first one, use it for a season and find out the things you do and don't like about it. Then you will be better versed in looking at others and/or new ones.

Buying a new one, that isn't everything for you, can sour the sweetest of us (that's me!) and the lesson will be more expensive. And, if you buy used and smart, you can almost always break even or better when selling after one season.

Check our for sale listings as well as Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale for a huge selection. Bit don't dally, prices are headed up for the summer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
I think that Bob's advice is very good. You really need to live with one of these units for awhile to figure out what you really need and want in a unit. The nice thing about buying a used unit is that you can very likely sell it later for what you paid for it.

In the larger size range, Escape's are nice, Bigfoot's are nice, and Olivers are nice - but they are very different units with very different features. One isn't necessarily any better than the other, but they suit different folks and purposes.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Or do some research. Find out what you want and what you need, and go for it by buying new. Nothing wrong with used, but new is also very nice.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I made a list of [must haves] and then searched and searched and searched.
This forum is where I picked up most of the knowledge and learned so much of the FG terminology. We bought new. Was over our budget but we managed. I'm not capable of a rebuild so used wasn't as much an option for me. But even with new there are always little twirks. It's just part of the game.

Welcome to the Forum.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, for those that can afford the possibility of making a BIG mistake, buying new has it's advanages. But, for example, we KNEW that we wanted a 13' and it HAD to have a bathroom. One season in a 13' SCAMP was enough to convince us otherwise and, as suggested, we actually sold it at a profit after using it for a year

Maybe one should follow Yogi's advice given in post #6

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote