new to this, looking @ a burro-EDIT: we bought it - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 84 13 ft Sunline (stickbuilt)
EDIT: We bought it this evening. Thanks to everyone for the advice and wisdom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=burro.jpg Views: 90 Size: 34.0 KB ID: 5248" style="margin: 2px" />

Good morning everyone,

We are new to the world of egg campers and have finally spotted one close to home. We have been researching this for a little while now and for the last couple hours been using the search function on this site in different categories to gain some more knowlege.

It is a 1981 burro, 13', that has been sitting dormant for quite a few years. The outside has a few places of pitting where the origional finish has come off and you can see the fiberglass material below. There are two small areas like this and from what I have read on this site, marine epoxy, or some kind of gel coat is the best way to fix this (please let me know if Im wrong). The frame was breifly inspected and looked to be ok, but we are going back this evening to check out the front "a" to see what has been done, if anything. It looks like the rest of the camper looks to be in relitively fair shape other than just sitting outside for quite awhile. The cushions and upholstery look to be in pretty good shape yet. I have not talked to the owner yet, just the person who owns the property where the camper is sitting. The only thing mechanically this needs is a jack stand, as it is sitting on a cement block. He said the furnace works, but it has been sitting awhile. It does have the spare tire yet (laying inside on the floor).

I guess what I am asking is, from what we have been seeing on the web, ebay, and for sale listings, does this sound like a "ok" buy for the thousand dollar range the guy wants to get out of it? Remember we have limited knowlege of these trailers, but are trying to learn as much as we can before buying a money pit.

thanks in advance (and if this topic is in the wrong forum, I appologize)

Kevin & Georgetta
Kevin & Georgetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It sounds like you already knew what to look for in the major areas!

The price is good, even if some of the items don't work. The rest is easy stuff to fix.

When you go back, print out a copy of the buyers checklist.

leaky windows and vents are a possibilty if it's been sitting a long time. Check the door hinges and mounts. Take a screw driver and see if the hinge mounting hardware is stripped or loose. There is wood behind them and this is, as far as I can tell, one of the few areas that rot can happen in the structure.

If you have a battery, take it with you to test the electrical. The one in it (If it has one) is no doubt old and not charged/working. For just a test, a car battery will do to check the lights etc. inside and out.

Open the cubbies and cabinets. Thats where moisture holds if there is any.

You can't really go wrong with a Burro! They are pretty much bullet proof. No rivets to leak, and no wall carpet to rot. The insuation, if it has it, can be a moisture wick, sniff for mold.

Good luck!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:38 AM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
What Gina said and...

Sitting a long time, as you say, I would try to determine if the axle has lost some or most of its suspension. This too is fixable.

Good Luck, I hope this helps.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #4

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Go for it! It is all fixable and they go pretty quickly. If you decide too long, it will be gone and you will not see another for some time.

We bought a shell of a 17' widebody Burro two years ago. With the help of this forum we have rebuilt it. In it's state right now, it is camp-able but we have a lot more work to do. If you are handy, this is the way to go. Then if something should go wrong, you know exactly how to fix it. Which is a blessing if you are camping in the boondocks of the U.P. where skilled technicians are hours away.

Good Luck!

D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Congratulations on your new Burro! It is always fun to see another Burro find a good home. You will have a great time camping with your new trailer. Enjoy!
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
That's great!!! Congratulations. Now you can change your profile from none to 81 Burro 13' or something like that.

Happy days are here.....
Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We love our Burro, Li'l Jenny.
Here she is on Pine Ridge Reservation.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00111.JPG  
Old 10-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #8

Woo hoo! Another FBRV'er with a Burro AND in Michigan!

Glad you took the leap!
Old 10-20-2006, 03:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Congratulations!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 84 13 ft Sunline (stickbuilt)
We found out some more info on the burro.

It was bought by some farmers on the east side of the state (Michigan) and used basically as a hunting blind and never left the property. It was pulled out of the barn in late september and pulled out to a back field where someone would spend the night in it, then open the windows in the morning and use it as a deer blind (including shooting out of the windows). It was then towed back after deer season and tucked away in the barn.

A few years ago it was sold to the gentleman I purchased it from and was towed two hours to the west side of the state, where it was again parked. He attempted to clean it and the jack broke, where it was then towed a half hour to our neck of the woods where it was parked for another month.

So...this burro literally has 2 and a half hours of road use. The roof is in worse shape than we thought (alot of shell "holes" that have leaked and you can see the water run lines with possible mold ((?)) between the ceiling and outside shell). Luckily we got a burro with no insulation in the walls. Also around the roof vent leaks like a cheese cloth so that will come out and probably just be replaced. We got 99% of the black off of the outside of the shell with softscrub with bleach and a soft bristled brush. The inside is getting alot of the same cleaning.

Any advice on what to do about the possible mold between the roof and inner ceiling layer? Maybe just get some bleach in a spray bottle and try to spray up through the cabinet opening...

thanks,

Kevin & Georgetta
Kevin & Georgetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Any advice on what to do about the possible mold between the roof and inner ceiling layer? Maybe just get some bleach in a spray bottle and try to spray up through the cabinet opening...
Our vent leaked too. I tried pouring bleach water over it before I took it out and could not get the water to run the same path. We must have been leaning a different way. I took the vent out and will spray bleach water between the shell as much as possible while the vent is off. We do have insulation so it will be tough to get completely in/around. Hope the bleach water works along with a winter in the garage with multiple Dry-Ease (sp?) around to pull out moisture.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Congratulations, Kevin & Georgetta!!! Woo hoo!

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro