New tow option, Mercedes Metris - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #21

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
They are building a new plant in Carolinia and will build this vehicle there.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Just remember that everyone is free to do as they please, so long as no one else is directly affected by their choices and actions, whether they be frugal or spendthrift. Only they are the ones that have to deal with the consequence of their actions, while others are free to what they see fit for the situation.

I always negotiate for a deal when and where I can, but there are times when it is not possible, and if I want or need that item, I pay the listed price.
Price fixing obviates both the frugal and spendthrift.
When the majority accepts price fixing they coerce those who would negotiate.
Every consumer must then suffer the consequences.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: floyd... Is being responsible haggling the lowest price... then complaining about the quality of product you are getting?
When I bought my current tug I was able to negotiate a fair price but not at the expense of my self dignity. At 130,000km's I'm still glad I bought when I did as I did.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Price is an element of both quality and utility.
Perhaps being responsible only means negotiating a fair price as you did. At least you see the value in it.
If a car salesman can take a person's dignity, there are other issues to be resolved!

The complaining thing is a non-sequitur.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Price fixing obviates both the frugal and spendthrift.
When the majority accepts price fixing they coerce those who would negotiate. Every consumer must then suffer the consequences.
The majority rules, and drives the market.

I do custom building and renovations. I set my pricing for the work I do at a fair price, at a competitive level, and where I need be too make a living. If someone tried negotiating a better deal, I politely refuse. Almost always they go with what I propose anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We did not pay list for our CRV or Odyssey. There are a number of sites that suggest what you COULD pay.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #26

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The majority rules, and drives the market.

I do custom building and renovations. I set my pricing for the work I do at a fair price, at a competitive level, and where I need be too make a living. If someone tried negotiating a better deal, I politely refuse. Almost always they go with what I propose anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
----------------------
I would guess that you have a great reputation for doing quality work at a fair price.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #27

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Price is an element of both quality and utility.
Perhaps being responsible only means negotiating a fair price as you did. At least you see the value in it.
If a car salesman can take a person's dignity, there are other issues to be resolved!

The complaining thing is a non-sequitur.
Hi: floyd... I have looked at car sales from both sides of the bargaining table. Made many trips to the bosses office with a less than sincere offer.
How much of a negotiated price did your New Scamp command?
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: floyd... I have looked at car sales from both sides of the bargaining table. Made many trips to the bosses office with a less than sincere offer.
How much of a negotiated price did your New Scamp command?
Scamp has a completely different pricing and marketing structure from auto manufacturers and dealers. Understanding that, I got everything I wanted at a price we agreed upon....
10% off of the accumulated price of the options, a few minor and moderate concessions and favors,plus everything the dealer would have made. Plus a stipend for every sale which results from showing it.
Tangential as it is, I get your point.

I don't make less than sincere offers.
It took three years to get what I wanted when I bought my Ranger and at a 30% discount off retail. I never missed a ride in the mean time.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #29

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I've done a variety of things- negotiated hard and gotten a good deal, had a friend in the business get me a good price, and used online bids to find the cheapest price without haggling. (I did get a good deal though who knows if being there in person could have saved me a few hundred?) For me, it is worth it not have to haggle. I hate that part of car-buying. I wish everyone would just offer the best price and let me choose what I want.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I've done a variety of things- negotiated hard and gotten a good deal, had a friend in the business get me a good price, and used online bids to find the cheapest price without haggling. (I did get a good deal though who knows if being there in person could have saved me a few hundred?) For me, it is worth it not have to haggle. I hate that part of car-buying. I wish everyone would just offer the best price and let me choose what I want.
Given a complacent consumer, what do you think the odds are of your wish coming to fruition? Wish in one hand....
Old 11-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Lots of people feel the same, enough to make Costco the #2 "seller" of new cars, second only to the Auto Nation chain of dealers.

Whether or not that makes 400K people stupid will continue to be debated, I'm sure…
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Lots of people feel the same, enough to make Costco the #2 "seller" of new cars, second only to the Auto Nation chain of dealers.

Whether that makes 400K people stupid or not will continue to be debated, I'm sure…
Possibly stupid if they think it is the best possible deal. But quite likely happier than if they had to go haggle with a car dealer. Money isn't everything.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Possibly stupid if they think it is the best possible deal. But quite likely happier than if they had to go haggle with a car dealer. Money isn't everything.
Had too??? What could be more fun fully dressed??
Old 11-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #34

Arizona
Registry
What could be more fun than haggling with a car salesman?

Going to the dentist, washing and folding three weeks of kids' clothes, changing the rear bank of spark plugs on a transverse V6 engine in a minivan, unclogging a toilet, stomach flu, digging 50 post holes in hard packed clay,...

But perhaps you do all those things naked?

I'll give you this: I'd take the car dealer over a kidney stone.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #35

Registry
And maybe over childbirth...plus the car comes out cleaner.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #36

Arizona
Registry
Our second child was a projectile vomiter, especially in the car. I actually thought of mentioning that, too…
Old 11-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
What could be more fun than haggling with a car salesman?

Going to the dentist, washing and folding three weeks of kids' clothes, changing the rear bank of spark plugs on a transverse V6 engine in a minivan, unclogging a toilet, stomach flu, digging 50 post holes in hard packed clay,...

But perhaps you do all those things naked?

I'll give you this: I'd take the car dealer over a kidney stone.
I guess you have graphically explained why so many people gladly pay at least $4000 too much for a new car! (about a month's salary)

Truthfully, the No Haggle method will likely become universal.
My response will simply be to give them my No Haggle fair price in writing at the bottom of the build sheet with my phone number and an expiration date by which they must respond.
Lets face it, there is no vehicle so desirable that it can't be resisted,and none so unique that it can't be bought used.

I once worked in a refinery, most often outdoors, in all sorts of weather.

While negotiating, I got within a small amount of buying a new car.
The salesman said " c'mon,its only $xxx"
I took the salesman outdoors to the car, ostensibly to ask a question or two about it. It was 39 degrees outside and misting rain. After about five minutes, the shivering salesman begged to go back inside.
I turned to him and said...
"Five minutes? and you want to go back inside? I have to spend two days out in this weather to earn $xxx"...
He met my price.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:09 AM   #38

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...Lets face it, there is no vehicle so desirable that it can't be resisted,and none so unique that it can't be bought used....
Exactly!

I'm sure you understand that my previous post was intended as humorous hyperbole to express how distasteful many find the whole process.

I do not negotiate; I simply have a price in mind that I am willing to pay for a vehicle and I do not budge. The dealer tactics I have encountered are deliberately designed to prolong the process and wear down the buyer's resolve. At the end of the day, whether there is a car in my driveway or not, I always feel like I need to take a shower... or at least shake the dirt from my sandals.