New tow option, Mercedes Metris - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
New tow option, Mercedes Metris

I found this vehicle while checking out stealth camping Vans. 5K tow capacity and it will carry 4x8 sheets of plywood flat on the floor. Starts under $30K for a cargo van and $34K start for a passenger model. Go to You Tube and check out the videos on the Metris van. Looks like a great camping vehicle option.
Eddie
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...41&FORM=VRDGAR
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Metris camper van

We got to see one of those in the camper version when we visited the Mercedes Benz museum in Germany last year. Wish they had that version here.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20151206_13_30_10_Pro.jpg   WP_20151206_13_30_17_Pro.jpg  

WP_20151206_13_30_40_Pro.jpg  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
There are you tube videos on the Marco Polo camper. Too bad they don't have it in a diesel version in the US. yet.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:04 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Certainly nice to have a diesel. Our van also carries a 4x8 sheets of plywood flat on the floor, a rarely used feature but certainly a measure of usefulness.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Nice to see a minivan that isn't ashamed to look like one...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
No diesel listed. They list a high torque gas engine and an automatic transmission. The ground clearance is listed at 3.8". That would bottom out on my road. Since it is made outside the U.S. it's subject to the 25% chicken tax.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
No diesel listed. They list a high torque gas engine and an automatic transmission. The ground clearance is listed at 3.8". That would bottom out on my road. Since it is made outside the U.S. it's subject to the 25% chicken tax.
The price starts at $28000. The Chicken tax is not paid directly by the consumer. So in effect domestic built vehicles are subject to the chicken tax as well, being supported by the tariff.

The biggest tax of all on vehicles sold in the U.S. should be called the "stupid tax" which is gladly paid by consumers who buy from dealers who practice "no haggle" pricing.
"No haggle, just pay what you're told!"
Stupid buyers pay too much and erode the buying power of the wise
consumer.
Whatever... ultimately, price and policy will be driven by the bottom line.

I haven't studied this very well but couldn't they just finish them in Mexico and bring them in through NAFTA?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Eddie, big problem is this is not a molded Trailer it is a Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
I found this vehicle while checking out stealth camping Vans. 5K tow capacity and it will carry 4x8 sheets of plywood flat on the floor. Starts under $30K for a cargo van and $34K start for a passenger model. Go to You Tube and check out the videos on the Metris van. Looks like a great camping vehicle option.
Eddie
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...41&FORM=VRDGAR
: Van with a engine up front but might make a good tow vehicle?
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: Van with a engine up front but might make a good tow vehicle?
Stude
Most trucks have engines up front???
This van is rear wheel drive, unlike most minivans today.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #10
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I drive a hard bargain or I drive what I drove in, so I may never really buy another new car again.............

The biggest tax of all on vehicles sold in the U.S. should be called the "stupid tax" which is gladly paid by consumers who buy from dealers who practice "no haggle" pricing.
"No haggle, just pay what you're told!"
Stupid buyers pay too much and erode the buying power of the wise
consumer.
Sounds like negotiations are not going well. When I bought my CRV it was take it or leave it pricing. Driving a couple hundred miles would have saved me a couple hundred bucks. Popular vehicle, they had no trouble selling to someone else. In the end cost is proportional to need.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Rear wheel drive is a rare comodity these days and when I typed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Most trucks have engines up front???
This van is rear wheel drive, unlike most minivans today.
: this in the first place I did not put any drive in it someone else did that! I go for Rear wheel drive when I can and I'm always on the look out for good old Ford's, Chevy's, Dodge's and even International Pickups if all are in good shape, but I'm tough shape these days and right now I cannot even drive the MH which is also RWD.
We own to Suzuki's and both are front wheel drive 4wd vehicles great for towing behind a MH. Both are Automatics and the they go places that even a Quad cannot go.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Sounds like negotiations are not going well. When I bought my CRV it was take it or leave it pricing. Driving a couple hundred miles would have saved me a couple hundred bucks. Popular vehicle, they had no trouble selling to someone else. In the end cost is proportional to need.
Then I should get free cars, I'll never "need" a new vehicle, at least not bad enough to pay list.
Honda, inexplicably has commanded sometimes more than list even thirty years ago. This reflects on the buyer, and makes my point.

A couple of days ago some folks paid $13,000 and more for tickets to watch millionaires play a child's game, I guess "need" is a very subjective concept indeed!
Old 11-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #13
Raz

Quote:
This reflects on the buyer, and makes my point......... Stupid buyers pay too much and erode the buying power of the wise consumer.
Yea, stupid.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #14

Florida
Need is certainly related to what you have. Those with a lot can easily justify tickets behind the dugout to watch a historic game. It's all relative.

I once helped a friend with a formula vw race car. Timken of Timken Roller Bearing raced against him. We calculated that Timken spending $10,000 was equivalent to my friend spending $1. My friend towed his race car behind his VW bus. Timken flew his out in a 707.

It's all relative. I have a 25 year old Scamp and other's have new Olivers. We're both having fun.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Those who need not be frugal are less prone to take pride in personal frugality, than those whose means require frugality.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Those who need not be frugal are less prone to take pride in personal frugality, than those whose means require frugality.
Perhaps you confuse frugality with penury? The lack of the former will surely lead to the latter. Observe lottery winners three years later.
I don't see persistent frivolity as a virtue.
Frugality only really becomes a virtue in the face of plenty, otherwise it is only necessary.

Really though, my point was not to insult the frivolous, but rather to observe a trend...price fixing on the part of dealers, which can only exist when a critical mass of consumers begin to see it as acceptable.

Largess toward a car dealer strikes me as irresponsible, except in extenuating circumstances.(sometimes brought on by the aforementioned critical mass)

Frugality is not a need. It is a matter of responsibility.
Let's all please remember that on Tuesday.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:03 AM   #17

Florida
A key factor in life is about recognizing where you are and where you are heading and when the recognition results in the negative, making a choice to change. Hoping on Tuesday that the majority is alert.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-05-2016, 05:16 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Perhaps you confuse frugality with penury? The lack of the former will surely lead to the latter. Observe lottery winners three years later.
I don't see persistent frivolity as a virtue.
Frugality only really becomes a virtue in the face of plenty, otherwise it is only necessary.

Really though, my point was not to insult the frivolous, but rather to observe a trend...price fixing on the part of dealers, which can only exist when a critical mass of consumers begin to see it as acceptable.

Largess toward a car dealer strikes me as irresponsible, except in extenuating circumstances.(sometimes brought on by the aforementioned critical mass)

Frugality is not a need. It is a matter of responsibility.
Let's all please remember that on Tuesday.
Hi: floyd... Is being responsible haggling the lowest price... then complaining about the quality of product you are getting?
When I bought my current tug I was able to negotiate a fair price but not at the expense of my self dignity. At 130,000km's I'm still glad I bought when I did as I did.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:20 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Just remember that everyone is free to do as they please, so long as no one else is directly affected by their choices and actions, whether they be frugal or spendthrift. Only they are the ones that have to deal with the consequence of their actions, while others are free to what they see fit for the situation.

I always negotiate for a deal when and where I can, but there are times when it is not possible, and if I want or need that item, I pay the listed price.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: ventura 1300
Ontario
Exclamation New Tow

They say money is round to go round, My problem is that it does not go round far enough and I never have this to worry about. My tug is a old Volvo and I don't worry about NOTHING....
jvrayner is offline   Reply With Quote