New Trailer owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #1

Name: Nicole
Trailer: Traveleze
Washington
New Trailer owner

Well I have still had no luck if finding very much info on my new Trailer. It's kinda frustrating. The only info I have found has come from this site so that is greatly appreciated. The two old post on here and from one of you guys giving me the info for the Rv museum in IN. The guy at the museum couldn't find any info or literally anything at all on it. He thinks it was a prototype so some kind. I want to restore it back to original but I have no idea what that is. If you guys know any other ways to get information that I could try please please let me know.
tnyturtle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
In September, 5-10th this year, the Mt. Baker Vintage Trailer Rally in Lynden, WA, has all kinds of older trailers, many restored very much original...if nothing else, it'll give you lots of ideas!

You just drive up and have a look, it's free to walk around and even park your car, but it was $25 a night plus a $15 registration fee to camp in the wide open fairgrounds fields (with water and electric and restrooms and some picnic tables).

We were dazzled last year--and rather subdued when we realized how far from vintage we truly had gone with our 73 amerigo. Oh, well! If we'd gone to this rally first, who knows how vintage we might've tried to go!?

BEST to you!

Kai in Seattle
Old 07-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
You say you are frustrated...

I/we share your frustration. I read your post at least 3 times. Nowhere in it do I see where you name or describe the make, model, or year of your trailer. I can't see your post as I reply on my phone. I notice your nickname was tiny turtle something. Is that our clue? Thank you.
PS, I now see your trailer in your profile. That doesn't display when viewing on a cell phone. Good luck.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
I/we share your frustration. I read your post at least 3 times. Nowhere in it do I see where you name or describe the make, model, or year of your trailer....
I think that is because all that is in prior threads (see below). I do think its best to keep with one thread as it makes it simpler to keep up, assuming the subject is the same.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-79066.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-tt-80482.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ner-79069.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
This is a molded fiberglass forum. You might have better luck with a Traveleze forum like http://repairingyesterdaystrailers.yuku.com/1959-traveleze-model-24-t4654.htm
I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
This is a molded fiberglass forum. You might have better luck with a Traveleze forum like http://repairingyesterdaystrailers.yuku.com/1959-traveleze-model-24-t4654.htm
I hope you find what you're looking for.

Hi Byron thanks for the link. I will definitely look into it but I have been told or read somewhere that this trailer is a form of fiberglass but like I said I'm having a very hard time getting any info on it.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
I/we share your frustration. I read your post at least 3 times. Nowhere in it do I see where you name or describe the make, model, or year of your trailer. I can't see your post as I reply on my phone. I notice your nickname was tiny turtle something. Is that our clue? Thank you.

Tom I'm sorry your right I didn't put any of the info in the post. I'm not sure what I was thinking. It is a 66 Royal Traveleze.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Royalex was more like plastic than FG, at least that is my impression. Traveleze is still very interesting to us fiberglassers, I think, however I do not think anyone else here has one or has even seen one with the original interior. Sad to say!

A red one was for sale in MI some 8-10 years ago. I saw the ad. Yours is the second one I've heard of.

One way to look at it is, you can just redo it however you would most enjoy it, without historic constraints.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:59 PM   #9

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
From Wikipedia:

"Royalex* is a composite material, comprising an outer layer of vinyl and hard acrylonitrile butadiene styrene plastic (ABS) and an inner layer of ABS foam. The layers are bonded by heat treatment. It is used for manufacture of durable, mid-priced canoes."
Old 07-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
From Wikipedia:

"Royalex* is a composite material, comprising an outer layer of vinyl and hard acrylonitrile butadiene styrene plastic (ABS) and an inner layer of ABS foam. The layers are bonded by heat treatment. It is used for manufacture of durable, mid-priced canoes."
And those canoes are heavy. And, if you wrap one around a rock, the Royalex stretches and can't be returned to the shape it was. Oh, and when you wrap it around a rock, and break the gunnels, the whole canoe is floppy and can't be paddled.
Had one.
Attached Thumbnails
White water - Seymour .jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 12:14 AM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And those canoes are heavy. And, if you wrap one around a rock, the Royalex stretches and can't be returned to the shape it was. Oh, and when you wrap it around a rock, and break the gunnels, the whole canoe is floppy and can't be paddled.
Had one.
Was it an "Old Town" by any chance Glenn? That's all you can seem to find in the stores around here. And you're right, they're heavy.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:57 AM   #12

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
This may not be Royalex since this is a more recent invention since 1959. -- I see now that this is a 1966 so I guess it may be that material as it was in development in the mid 1960's - Maybe Donna D will pipe in with the info you seek on off the wall trailers.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:26 AM   #13

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I googled and found these pictures:https://www.google.com/search?q=trav...=1441&bih=1062
It looks like the top and bottom were vacuum molded in one form, then flipped and connected by a belly band.

Last year we sold our 1977(?) vintage Old Town tripper. Those things were indestructible, except the gunwales became brittle with time and I had to replace them at one point. Also sold two plastic kayaks and bought two Hornbecks 10', 15 pounds (!) each. They fit on my roof even with the Scamp hooked up. Expensive, but worth it - ease of handling is getting more and more important.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:31 AM   #14

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
This may not be Royalex since this is a more recent invention since 1959. -- I see now that this is a 1966 so I guess it may be that material as it was in development in the mid 1960's - Maybe Donna D will pipe in with the info you seek on off the wall trailers.
I found out last year that Royalex is no longer made for some reason. It was developed some time in the 60's, I think. It was great for the boats, they did not need flotation foam blocks (like fiberglass boats do) and the hull insulated you from cold water.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Was it an "Old Town" by any chance Glenn? That's all you can seem to find in the stores around here. And you're right, they're heavy.
My solo whitewater boat was an Old Town Otter. Sold it.
Also have a 16' Clipper Prospector in fibreglass.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #16

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Mike Magee said, "One way to look at it is, you can just redo it however you would most enjoy it, without historic constraints. "

This is another way to look at things, and makes your life and budget a whole lot easier! Could do so, anyway, unless being anachronistic with your décor would give you serious pangs.

We decided early on that we really did not even LIKE early 70's décor or fabrics. 20 years earlier, yes! 40 years earlier--yes! But not the 60's or 70's. So we were never going to really "do it right" no matter what.

Some, however, have restored trailers of your and our vintages and done a great job...ones we'd be happy to have. So it can be done.

BEST
Kai