New Trilliums - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

I looked up the Trillium Outback (Canada) and a Trillium in California. I emailed them with questions and the Trillium California wrote back saying they were not connected with the Outback folks in Canada but were starting a factory in California. I believe they are now making a 14' and will be making a 16'. They seem to be remake of the older original Trilliums while the Outback seem to be a new style, also 14' but that is just my take on them from afar. Any info on these?

the Canandian Outback: http://www.trilliumtrailers.com/outback.php

the Californian: http://www.trilliumrv.com/models.htm

the DesertHawk
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have had good feed back from the Calgary Plant.I have received good info from them.My concern at present time would be how two different companies can use the same name.They are either one company or two,depending on how you interpit their web sites.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The Trillium thang is confusing....Adrian, to the left of this window in the Nav Bar is the Helpful-Links page. Check it out, good info to be found. For instance, Trailer Brands: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/resources.html...un=fiberglassrv

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The Team Trillium Trailer Manufacturing operation is well-established, and has had their product (the Outback) in Edmonton-area RV dealerships for quite a while (years). The California operation is very new, still in the process of starting up.

I wouldn't describe the Outback as a "new" style. It has current-style round-cornered windows, and a slightly different frame structure than the old Trillium 1300, but seems otherwise quite traditional; perhaps owners of truly original 1300 Trilliums can provide a more informed comparison. The California operation has made the same window change (according to their web site, 1300 model page), but have been showing photos of classic Trillium models until their own is ready; the actual product is on their news page.

The California operation seems determined to identify themselves as the "original" Trillium, and I assume that they have in some way secured the legal right to the name. This reminds me of the auto industry, where valuable brand names are treasured, even though the current product is mechanically unrelated to the original, and is built by different people in a different factory, even in a different country. Aside from the marketing games, I think it would be nice to have suppliers of this product in both the U.S. and Canada.

I think that it is interesting that the California people would say that they were "not connected with the Outback folks in Canada", given this text on the About Us page of their website:
Quote:
The first production models are being built at the “Outback” trailer facility in Calgary, Alberta. They are currently manufacturing the Outback trailer with the old Trillium molds. It is a quality product, utilizing new technology. The early Trilliums built there will be finished with the new look, materials, and graphics. Final finish and 'Trillium' Brand upgrades, (see 1300 specs page), are being done in the San Francisco Bay Area, where finished trailers can be picked up. Beginning in 2007, the actual Trillium manufacturing will move to the San Francisco Bay Area.
I suppose the intention was to indicated that they are entirely separate companies. I have not heard what will happen to the Outback after the California plant is running, but I wish all the best for both companies.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...I believe they are now making a 14' and will be making a 16'...
I believe that the model name "1300" indicated that the trailer was 13' long overall, while the next model larger (in both the original and revived product lines) was the "4500", which would be 4.5 metres (14' 9") long overall.

Strangely, as Adrian has mentioned, both the 1300 specifications from TrilliumRV (the new California operation) and the Outback details show the overall length as 14' 2", so they I assume that have extended the tongue or rear bumper; similarly, the 4500 page shows a 16' length.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I thought this explained things pretty well.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:49 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
The owner of the California Trillium has posted on this site many times.

He is one of the original owners or execs from the original Trillium and is bringing the pure trill back as a US made unit.

I have been tempted to drive up there and have a look, but am askeered I would actually drive back with one!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:59 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Here is a thread from Tom Young, the guy running the California Trillium, this should add more explaination.

Onwer of New US Trillium speaks
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote