New Video For Happier Camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #15

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
"Never underestimate the real-life towing ability of your car."

Do you mean overestimate? We're having this issue now, as we begin to replace things in our 73 amerigo...what does everything weigh, what did we take out, how can we rebuild it with 43 year newer material and keep the weight similar...tongue weight was at 90 pounds when gutted. With a plywood floor and two deep-cell marine batteries on the tongue, it's up to 210 already, and we don't even have walls up yet! Our limit is 350...what if we exceed that? Do we forget about it and sell it where it sits? Or load the back end heavier and get to a scale and find out what our front to back to tongue to total ratios are? Or what?

It's darn good advice to not destroy your car trying to do more than it can.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbails View Post
This trailer is genius! If I had the cash and didn't have a Boler already, I'd buy it in heartbeat. I'd like to see one in person.

Love the big back door, especially for loading and bed making. I'd probably not move the cubes inside/out, not wanting to bring dirt inside, instead use camping chairs and small portable table. Love the front table that switches to a lounge. Love the overhead bins for storage and the lights all around. I would consider moving the kitchen area to the front of the trailer, leaving the sides for two twin beds/lounges, and the wide open back for cargo access. Love the jacks that lower in the back.

I do worry that it can really be pulled with a small car. Cute for the video, but highly unlikely on freeways and coming down over mountain passes. Never underestimate the real-life towing ability of your car.
Thanks Jamie and yes you are correct on on your concern for tow limits for the HC1 .although some will think we are towing with just any Mini Cooper that particular mc is the only one with the tow capacity to tow the HC1. I have towed with that mc personally through mountain passes and slick conditions and with the trailer brakes which I would recommend for any trailer it Tows as well or better than our fj cruiser or my ridgeline. One of the reasons we use that vehicle is we plan to sell many HC1 s overseas and it represents the average vehicle there .Our advice to any potential customers is to use good judgement on what they-expect to actually tow and use it for their tv capacity.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #17

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 pulled with a 2011 Subaru Outback 4cyl CVT
California
The HC1 and Towing with a 4cyl

Just finished towing the HC1 over about 1500 miles with a 4 cyl Subaru Outback with the the CVT. Up Highway 5 from Sacramento into Oregon over the Siskiyous. (To about 4500 ' elevation). Then up into the Columbia River Gorge and later into middle Oregon and back over the Cascades and out to Weed (back on Highway 5) near Mount Shasta. I had plenty of power. The downhills were fine, using the downshift mode of the CVT to use engine breaking on the steepest hills. (Trailer has brakes and I have the Prodigy 2 controller). I also believe the owners have done big mileage trips using the Mini Countryman. They also pull one quite a bit with a 4 cyl Subaru Forester. So far I think these are good tow combinations.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0016.jpg   IMG_0019.jpg  

IMG_0020.jpg   IMG_0039.jpg  

IMG_0068.jpg   IMG_0073.jpg  

Old 05-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #18

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 pulled with a 2011 Subaru Outback 4cyl CVT
California
Moving the HC1 and Cube Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Must be very light for that woman to just roll the whole thing along by herself...lifting the various cubes, though, would depend on what you put in them.
As most owners with a 13 footer probably do, when we are ready to hook up the trailer I just grab ahold of it and pull it too the car. This works well on pavement and hard packed gravel, but not so good on loose gravel. At home I use a tongue dolly, from Harbor Freight, so I can steer it more easily up the slightly sloped driveway and into my garage. There is hardly ever the need to back the car directly up to the tongue.

The cubes can get heavy as you say. To travel we take two cubes into the house and pack them like a suitcase. It is still manageable to take it back out to the trailer once it is full of clothing and personal items. The sink cube could get heavy since there is a 5 gallon water tank inside of it. I have not found the need to take it outside yet though. Now that we have used the trailer a few times we are going to pull everything out of it and fool around with other configurations. OHBOY, adult sized Leggos.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #19

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Impressive video, love it.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
It is cute, but can you actually register it as an RV, or must you register it as a Utility/Cargo Trailer?
Old 05-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #21

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It is cute, but can you actually register it as an RV, or must you register it as a Utility/Cargo Trailer?
Hmm... What is the difference?
Old 05-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #22

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Hmm... What is the difference?
Depends on the state.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #23

SW Florida
What is the difference in IllAnnoy?
Old 05-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #24

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
What is the difference in IllAnnoy?
The fees are similar, but the plates are not interchangeable here in IllAnnoy.
What's the difference in Florida?
Some states charge for one and not the other, or allow one and not the other on a boulevard, for example.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #25

SW Florida
The only difference in FL is title. Travel trailer needs title (like cars), utility trailer does not. Registration fee per year differs about $10-20. Licence pate fee (yearly) is the same.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #26
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Any trailer, utility or otherwise weighing 2,000 lbs or more (empty) is required to be titled in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #27

SW Florida
Oops, didn't know about.

[EDIT]
Wait. My 2014 Scamp has factory certificate paper mention dry weight 1750 lbs (sic :-). But the title was required to register the trailer in FL.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #28

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbails View Post
This trailer is genius! If I had the cash and didn't have a Boler already, I'd buy it in heartbeat. I'd like to see one in person.

Love the big back door, especially for loading and bed making. I'd probably not move the cubes inside/out, not wanting to bring dirt inside, instead use camping chairs and small portable table. Love the front table that switches to a lounge. Love the overhead bins for storage and the lights all around. I would consider moving the kitchen area to the front of the trailer, leaving the sides for two twin beds/lounges, and the wide open back for cargo access. Love the jacks that lower in the back.

I do worry that it can really be pulled with a small car. Cute for the video, but highly unlikely on freeways and coming down over mountain passes. Never underestimate the real-life towing ability of your car.
As you know I'm still seriously thinking about it. I want to see one, though, and have not heard back about who in Washington has one.

I think the interior without fur or carpet would be so great for the corgis! vacuum and hose it out and it would be clean- something the Campster never is. And I did finally figure out a workable layout. I would probably not cook inside so would keep it simple. One thing I'd like to see someday is a bunkbed module, though- it would be great to install one to take the grandkids on a trip and then be able to store it away again.

Towing- I suspect it would be fine with a Subaru like mine, and not carrying much. Like most trailers, adding things like fridge, water, lots of cargo ups the weight considerably.