Newbie from Mississauga with ???? who knows what? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #29

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
an update... on my thoughts

Haven't done any real work on my trailer but the flue allows me time for thinking... and this may be a good or bad thing. You tell me!
The original plan was to use / redo the wooden frame inside and finish it off with some insulation / panelling. Now, we are thinking that, it may be better to go more along the very original finish; Get rid of ALL crappy frame from the inside and use foam insulation (Ensolite or similar). For the cabinets, I would just glue some 2/2 where I need to make the cabinets and fasten the cabinets to that. The insulation would be possibly less effective than the household one behind the panels but we would gain few inches for the bed length and have a bit more classical finish and save some weight = save some gas in the future. OK, don't call me cheap , just call me frugal Also, it coulactuallyly save me some work... Aha, it's OK to call me lazy

Old 02-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #30

Ontario
Registry
Update - the frame is done

I ended up scrapping the whole section between the wheels and the triangular section. Back to more or less the original length of (IIRC) 15' from the bumper to the receiver. New bearings. Chains still to be replaced or at least painted. Frame is (at least for now) painted black.
As a reminder a pix of the frame before , during and after.
The body is now back on the frame so, next week we will start to work on that.
Attached Thumbnails
Img_2010-12-16_08-59-14_01.JPG   Img_2011-02-14_18-35-59_01.JPG  

Img_2011-02-14_18-36-20_01.JPG   Img_2011-02-14_19-52-23_01.JPG  

Img_2011-02-14_19-53-06_01.JPG   Img_2011-02-14_19-54-13_01.JPG  

Img_2011-02-16_14-52-27_01.JPG  

Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #31

Ontario
Registry
Started on removing the sticks and other stuff. I thought that I will put 3 windows in the original places but, now I think that we will stick with the one in the front + an add on on the door and a large one in the back. The one visible in the "before" pix will go on the door. The opening visible in the "after" will be a large, non opening window over the main bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Img_2011-01-12_16-28-10_01.JPG   Img_2011-02-21_17-09-33_01.JPG  

Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #32

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
WOW, the ability of people like you amazes me. This is a fun thread to follow along. You do all the work, I get to "live" the experiences... wish I could find a job like that

But, I do have a suggestion. Have a large window that opens very near the sleeping area. It can get rather stuffy.... I'm replacing the back non-opening window in my Scamp with a same size slider. During warm weather, the more ventilation the better. And I prefer to sleep without fans whirling, etc. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #33

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
>>>snip>>>
But, I do have a suggestion. Have a large window that opens very near the sleeping area. It can get rather stuffy....
>>>snip>>>
Thanks Donna. I would put an opening window in there if not the... cost. For a non opening window, all I have to purchase is the weather seal. The plex I have. For an opening window, I would have to buy the whole, custom made assembly - the opening is definitely not a standard one - its about 68" wide at the bottom (64" at the top) and 30" high. I'm afraid that such a window would cost me much more than I am willing to spend so, we will have to depend on the 2 roof vents and doors for the ventilation + I plan to add a window type AC mount opening at the front. For hotter trips, we will take an AC with us. For most short trips, it will be just another screened vent we can open. Well, that's the plan.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:24 AM   #34

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile The "Assault Egg"

It certainly looks like a Jubilee:

1979 Trillium Jubilee Trailer for Sale (Alberta)

The PO probably took out the windows for warmth during fall hunting trips.

Actually, I think it looks like an "Assault Egg". It certainly assaults our sensibilities! LOL

I would try to have all opening windows on all four sides. Nothing like breezes when it is hot. Plus that has always been a feature of Trilliums, I understand. It certainly is nice on ours. Don't forget to have one window an emergency escape.

I don't know about the Jubilee, but the closet and kitchen in our Trill is part of the structure. Maybe the PO removed it, not realizing it had a dual purpose.

"Construction - The combination of strength and low weight is accomplished through utilizing interior fiberglass furniture as structural members, bonding the furniture to the body achieves a unitized structure of great durability."

- From the 1977 brochure
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...do=file&id=128

Maybe Trillium could give you some hints...

http://trilliumrv.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 AM   #35

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
outside furnace port at back center looks like the one on our boler at drivers side
Old 02-23-2011, 05:10 AM   #36

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
For an opening window, I would have to buy the whole, custom made assembly - the opening is definitely not a standard one - its about 68" wide at the bottom (64" at the top) and 30" high. I'm afraid that such a window would cost me much more than I am willing to spend so,
Definitely a HUGE window. Maybe you can find something close on eBay and since you'll be painting, do the fiberglass work now to fit? I don't think you'd regret the decision to put in an opening window. There's one here that's 48x22, with a full length crank out... pages of windows: rv windows items - Get great deals on Home Garden, eBay Motors items on eBay.com! or try an RV salvage yard: RV Salvage/Surplus Yards (List) Updated 2/01/11 - RV Forums - myRVparks.com. Whatever you do, I'll enjoy following along
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #37

Ontario
Registry
Hmm, thanks for the kick in the right direction Shipping from states would be too expensive but, I found on Kijiji WINDOWS BLACK ALUM FRAMES 20 SIZES CALL JW@ 519-872-4030 - Ontario Parts, Accessories For Sale - Kijiji Ontario Canada. a seller with a bunch of Hehr windows at $30 a piece. On Saturday, before going to the RV show, I went to London and for $80 I picked up 3 nice sliders. One for over the bed, one for bed/dinette and a smaller one for the door. This should give me decent ventilation. Too bad that I couldn't find jalousies I would like but considering the price, I'm happy. Now, I will have to figure out how to mount them because they did not come with proper mounting hardware. I got some inside flanges but they are not really from the windows I got and I don't want to drill through the nice, black outside trim.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #38

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Wahooo, another rebuilding thread!! I love to see the nice trailers coming out of those, yay! I wish I had such talents!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #39

Ontario
Registry
March update

We are still at the stage of gutting the trailer and stripping modifications done by previous owner(s). It's a chore and not always fun but, we will perceiver!
I mentioned before huge rear and side windows that apparently were installed before and subsequently plugged up. In the pix attached, you can see the plugs removed. At one point, it had to be an aquarium!!!
Along the way, I discovered a perfect and easy way of stripping old Ensolite! You just need an Ensolite stripper. Look at the pix; I'd say that she is doing very well and not even complaining too much
Attached Thumbnails
Img_2011-03-25_19-07-39.JPG   Img_2011-03-25_19-09-43.JPG  

Img_2011-03-26_15-19-27.JPG   Img_2011-03-26_15-19-44.JPG  

GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #40

Ontario
Registry
May / June update

Mending the shell, patching, painting and side windows finished in May.

Now, insulation / wall covering and the floor are also completed.

Next step; overhead cabinets, the bed and convertible dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
Img_2011-06-04_14-31-20.JPG   Img_2011-06-09_21-23-45.JPG  

Img_2011-06-09_21-23-58.JPG   Img_2011-06-11_12-03-09.JPG  

GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #41

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Looking good.............. Keep the pic's of your project coming!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #42

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
My goodness what a difference! I had not followed this thread past the first page and just caught up. Wow! Am anxious to see what the finished product looks like.
Great job!

CindyL