Newbie from Mississauga with ???? who knows what? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Newbie from Mississauga with ???? who knows what?

I recently acquired an old FG trailer and would like to know what it originally was.
The trailer was extensively modified (read "almost wrecked") for hunting. It's fibreglass construction. The large side windows were removed and crudely plugged. Rear, large window was plugged and a small window was installed in the plug. The frame was extended by about 4 ft. at the front so a motor bike(?) could be carried on it Side doors don't look original as well. The whole thing was painted in camouflage. The inside... oh well, everything original was removed and a crude wooden frame, panelling and insulation was put in. Some bunk beds put in... Everything has to be re-done to bring it to a shape that my wife and I can enjoy camping in it. Lots of work ahead of me. Hopefully be ready for the coming season.
I'll have to downsize the pix of it but in the meantime, here are full versions of it as I got it and already off the frame.

Thanks for any help.
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Trillium Jubilee?
I'm not the expert so I'm sure someone will know.
Have fun with your project....Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Welcome!
Emily
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Trillium?

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Now that's a MANLY camper! Are you sure you want to change it? (LOL) If you can bring this back you may get the prize for being the Fiberglass Fairy GodFather!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #5

Ontario
Registry
You may be on to something! Looking at the pix. of the Trillium Jubilee, the shell looks virtually identical. The major difference being the shape of the side windows - on mine, the windows (the marks of the original cut-outs) have rounded corners where on Jubilee the windows are rectangular. Also, on mine, there was only one window on the left side - it was at the back. The front, narrow window looks original where on Jubilee, I see it as a fair size rectangle. Than again, the shell and the raised portion of the roof seem a close match. Ah, mine has two roof vents. Not sure about the Jubilee.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #6

Registry
Well, I hope you keep posting pix. I would love to watch this one get renovated.

CindyL
Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #7

Ontario
Registry
I'll try to keep the info on it relatively up to date so we can laugh (and maybe learn) from my stupid mistakes, resolve any st-backs and cheer the gains.

Right now, whatever I touch, requires more work than originally anticipated
First major step to complete (in my plan) is to shorten and fix the frame. The extension + loads on the forward portion of the frame caused the crude extension section to bend and... I'm surprised that it didn't actually break yet because it definitely started to came apart... The frame is already cut. Steel needs some bending and grinding than welding and cleaning and painting. New bearings on the axle - right now there is over 1/4" slap on the wheels than remounting the leaf springs to go under the axle (currently over so it's raised) and than body can go back onto the frame. Once that done, replace the floor plywood which is rotten in the back than I can bolt the body to the frame. Planning to bolt it in at least 6 places. As I was taking it off, it was held by 2 bolts only
Than, I can start to really work in and outside of the body.
I do not plan to bring it back to the original state. Too costly and I'm trying to keep it as a low budget project. Planning to make it a camper for two adults + 2 guests in a pinch. No bathroom / sink / great comforts inside. A closet over the right wheel well and overhead cabinets front and back to keep the roof up (now it sags like crazy), bed for us in the back. Convertible dinette (narrow sleeping for the +2) on the left side (wall). Curved bulkhead between the dinette and the bed will also add some roof support. At the front, a counter from the right wall to the dinette. A cut out for A/C right over the counter. Space for cooler / fridge under the counter. Interior finished with light panelling possibly heavily lacquered so the wood grains don't show at all. Outside, the body painted silver similar to the colour of my truck.
Well, that's the plan. No real magic but I'm not sure if I'm really up to it and how many more surprises this trailer still holds... Than again, I almost made reservation for Tobermory campground for the May long weekend but we decided to go a bit further up North and bundock over a lake, close to Gogama... May... I have I have a lot of time to finish the project but may have more work than time... Will see.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 71 Boler
I am sure that this is a tripple "e"
Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Simple is good!!! You CAN DO IT!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #10

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Definately a mancamper. My husband would love it.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
"The Stealth Trailer"

Welcome Andrew
On the Home page you can check out a Beachcomber. I think that there are a few similarities.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
I am sure that this is a tripple "e"
It dosen't look like my Surfside.
Marina
Marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:08 AM   #13

Name: buddy
Trailer: bigfoot b17/13 boler/15trillium
Ontario
Registry
Don't change the colour!!! Check out KIJI adds in Kawartha lakes here in Lindsay There is lots of used trailer parts if you need any. Good luck with the project
buddy hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I can tell you this it's not a Boler (too Square) Any radar will be quick to pick you up hmmm maybe that's why they painted it that color.
Where are all the ports for Water, Electric and exhaust for furnace?
Looks like you got some work ahead of you but just keep pluging along and you'll get it done but most important enjoy doing it.
Great to have you along.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #15

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I can tell you this it's not a Boler (too Square) Any radar will be quick to pick you up hmmm maybe that's why they painted it that color.
Where are all the ports for Water, Electric and exhaust for furnace?
Looks like you got some work ahead of you but just keep pluging along and you'll get it done but most important enjoy doing it.
Great to have you along.
Gerry
After looking at bunch of pix, I'm convinced that the shell came from the mould of Trillium Jubilee. Furnace exhaust is in the back, in the middle but that's not where it originally was. Electric is on the left side, by the wheel. All others are covered. There are some remains of wiring for electric brakes but the current axle / hubs have non brakes. It's OK. My TV is Buick Rainier and when I was towing the trailer in, I had to keep remanding myself that there is something attached to the hitch. Compared to a stick and siding trailer and a pop-up I towed more than once, this thing is light like a feather and (in my head) I'll be adding not much more weight to it than removing.
Despite the relatively square look, it also offered surprisingly little wind resistance. It should be even better once I mount the axle under the leaf springs.
Ever noticed that the stealth planes have plenty of flat surfaces? I should be perfectly safe from the radar!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #16

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy hammond View Post
Don't change the colour!!! Check out KIJI adds in Kawartha lakes here in Lindsay There is lots of used trailer parts if you need any. Good luck with the project
Oh, the colour will be changed! In July 209 we've seen, in New Brunswick (close to Hopewell Rocks) a pink Boller or maybe Trillium pulled by a pink classic, we foaled in love with the idea of having a small FG trailer in the colour of our car. Now, we have a silver Rainier so, the trailer will be silver as well. Granted, the set will not be as pretty as what we have seen but, we hope for it to be an eye candy.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #17

Registry
I win, I win!

I actually went through all the campers in the albums and could not find that little jog in the fiberglass over the tire that your trailer has (For that matter, I could not find the picture you see, Andrew, of the Trillium Jubilee.). So I checked, using my friend Google, and found this image. This trailer has that little element in the fiberglass exactly like your camo camper, Andrew.
At some point, I must have seen a Trillium like this variety.
And, I am glad you are painting it to match your car. Someday, I hope to have a VW pickup that matches my Uhaul.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium Jubilee.jpg  
Old 01-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #18

Registry
Darn it. The hubby pointed out that I was not the first one to call Trillium. I obviously missed your post, Emily R.

CindyL
Old 01-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #19

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Mmmmm! For whatever reason I am not able to see a picture ?
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Darn it. The hubby pointed out that I was not the first one to call Trillium. I obviously missed your post, Emily R.

CindyL
I'm willing to share the glory!
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote