Newbie on an immersion trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape
Hello!
Since my wife and I decided to start travel trailer camping, I've found this board...great place! Maybe answers are buried in other forums, but I thought some other newbies might benefit from this also...
We're about to become owners of an Escape trailer and we have never done any kind of trailer camping before so don't know many of the little things that make things go smoother. Just to compound the situation, our first trip will be bringing it back from Chilliwack, BC; also our first trip to the northwest! I know general advice could occupy pages, but are there things that typically get overlooked on "to pack" lists? Any travel advice coming back from the NW? Particularly good stopover places? We will be returning to Memphis, TN; Reace says we'll have the only Escape east of Arizona!
Thanks for any advice!
Kevin
Kevin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
A list of basics, to get you started and help you camp on your way home:

Linens -- cookware -- personal items
Pillows -- dishes -- bath towels
Clothing -- dish towels -- TP
Entry rug -- camp chairs -- toilet chemicals
utensils -- Water hose -- work gloves (good while hithin’ up)
silverware -- matches -- vinyl gloves (good while cleaning toilet)
Basic tools -- relaxed attitude!
campground guidebook

You can find many items at thrift stores, an inexpensive way to get started. You don't need full sets of dishes, silver, etc...just 'enuf'.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #3

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Hose to hook up directly to water source
Extension cord

lamp in case your interior lights don't work
small ceramic heater in case your heater doesn't work
cooler in case your fridge doesn't work

Dishpan for obvious reasons, dishsoap, drainer
hotpads
grill and charcoal, starter fluid
coffee pot

Flip flops for the campground shower, if needed. Clothes lines for hanging up the towels to dry?
Soap container, small bottles for shampoo and conditioner.

tool kit
flashlight

Drinking water
food, there's a list I started in the food and recipe section, :What's in your pantry?" There are some great ideas on the basics one can take along to get started

Reading materials, laptop, TV, boardgames?

Extra meds you may take...I always have double, one set in the camper, one in the car.

Well, this is a start. Make a list and think the day through...I'm sure that will give you ideas.

And, start a blog/journal to record your thoughts and experiences! I'm sure it will be fun!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Do with as little as possible until you find out from experience what you really need. Reace will help make sure you're rigged safely for towing. Beyond that, anything you lack can be obtained with a credit card. Keep it simple, and most of all - have fun!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans Ms"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Wheel chocks!</span></span>
Attached Images

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Chairs for outside.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Credit Card - to buy whatever you forgot, in spite of this list.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The same things you'd take if you were tent camping...minus the stuff that's covered by owning a trailer. Linens vs sleeping bag, etc.

Don't forget to take/make a "journal," so you can relive your trips. AND a CAMERA!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
Administrator

Registry
If your new Escape isn't so equipped, you'll need these:

Name:   5907.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  5.2 KB

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans Ms">Hoppy Stick-On Levels</span>

Or, just bring along your <span style="color:#FF6600"><span style="font-family:Comic Sans Ms">carpenter level</span></span>

Name:   level.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  2.8 KB

until you decide whether and where you want to mount the Hoppy Levels.
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 05-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
A good idea would be to camp one night near your dealer - in case something doesn't work, you can get it fixed without being too far away.

If you're planning on coming through Portland, I'd love to see it!! (I could offer you my driveway with electrical )

I'll bet if you posted your general route, we could all pipe in with suggestions of good campgrounds along the way.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
Administrator

Registry
Another handy thing, although not an absolute necessity, is a little

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans Ms">refrigerator thermometer</span>.
Attached Images

RV Life Network FAQ
Old 05-30-2006, 06:42 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Less is more!

Just comfort and care.

Bring any meds you might need, paperwork, and the rest you can buy enroute.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Kevin,
Please don't attempt to do this if you have tight time constraints, you need to be able to spend a couple of days, at least, getting used to different procedures.

Anne H's suggestion to spend the first night close to Reace (he should know a close campground), in case questions or problems should arise could prove in-valuable.

The most important thing that both you and your wife may need---is a sense of humor when things don't appear to be going right. Many folks traditionally appear to have problems when "hitching up". With Reace's help write down a set of communication directions that you both understand( not only "hand" signals, but verbal one's also). Many of us have seen some pretty amazing displays when couples are attempting to back in with each other's help. Relax, we've all encountered similar times!

An arrival/departure procedure list can save your equipment from damage, such a driving away with your levelling jacks down, or electrical hook-up yanked from it's storage place, or television antenna peeled off by a low branch, or the door not closed so it hits the park gate on the way out, etc. Before starting the tug's engine, you and your wife should do an independent last minute "pre-flight" by walking around your complete rig looking for anything forgotten, look up (TV antenna still extended, open roof vent, awning still extended, etc.) and beneath your TT and the tug (to discover oil, water, transmission or brake fluid leaks). She might spot something you missed (and vice-versa). We have found 4 's see more than 2!

A list of Wal-Mart locations along your travel route can often provide a place to park overnight (with the store manager's approval!) if you just want to save time and are not needing a park's facilities.

Congratulations on beginning a new life-style and joining the FGRV world.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:41 PM   #14

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
This is some excellent advice! We took Amtrak to pick up a Scamp 5th wheel and pickup truck in Spokane to drive back to Iowa last March.

We took: Sleeping bags, pillows, clothes, meds, towels, washcloths, a couple of small flashlights, and a porta-potty (since I wasn't going to de-winterize the trailer since the odds are it would be cold in March in the Rockies... duh...). We bought plastic dinnerware, disposable glasses, and food that could be microwaved, as well as paper towels, bottled water, hand sanitizer, and a couple of other odds-n-ends that did us well during the trip.

And, of course, we brought our credit card.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:11 PM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Specifically for a trailer, a couple other "must haves" are a few blocks of wood for under the tungue jack when down, and maybe some leveling blocks ( Lynx Levelers type)

Other than that and whats already suggested, take with you what you would normally take tent camping, sans the tent. (Yes, stove and lantern, just in case) Everything you NEED to get yourself out of a jam is stuff you already have in your camping box now. Propane for heat and light in case you have tank troubles, all needed kitchen stuff etc.. think of how you used that when you tented, it can be a back up systrm in a trailer.

Use the trailer for a bit and then decide what you NEED and then what you would like. THEN leave the car camping stuff at home.

Don't try to do it all at once. We promise that no one will laff at your curtains, or care if you sleep in a bag or in a luxurious bed.

There is plenty of time (And money) to be spent personalizing it.

Buy a memebership to Good Sam before you go. They will get you out of a towing jam if needed. AAA has similar programs. I personally choose Good Sam for thier pet care options, but look at both and decide your needs.

AND, I know no one has mentioned this yet Definately take a credit card. (Do you detect a theme here?)

Wal Mart is your friend.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:52 AM   #16
Administrator

Registry
But, seriously. The single most important thing you will need that you might not realize is that pair of wheel chocks. (Sometimes we use two pair!)

I know I already mentioned it, but these are so important, it bears repeating.

For "proof" have a look at this very old "Legacy Post," contributed by Charles Watts, when this website was in its infancy.

Dumbest Trailering Thing I've Ever Done.
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 05-31-2006, 08:39 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape
Wow, what a great group! Within one day I have enough to get me started...and keep me thinking. I don't mean to end things here; the replies have been so helpful...I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU! Please keep any more advice coming...

At the risk of starting another thread, I did have a question on leveling. Mary F suggested the "hoppy levels". I had already bought a circular level. For those not familiar, it is a disk instead of a tube and has concentric rings so that when the bubble is within the center ring the item is level in all directions. Does anyone have opinions on these?
Thanks!
Kevin
Kevin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:51 AM   #18

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Kevin,

Some folks swear by those. I swore AT mine. They do work great, but un co-ordinated me could never get it right. It is a mind - space thing.

I stink at video games too.

I just use a carpenters level.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:03 AM   #19
Administrator

Registry
Yeah, I use a carpenters level, too. We also bought one of the circle levels (they're nifty), but find the carpenters level gives a more accurate reading, since it's bigger/spans more floor space. (Now I'm not saying the floor of my Casita is bumpy or not level... just that the carpenters level seems easier to read.)

We actually bought a set of Hoppy Levels, but never went to the trouble of mounting them. The trailer has to be level to do it... and well, when the trailer's good and level, we're usually out camping with other things to do than mounting the Hoppies.
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 05-31-2006, 09:10 AM   #20

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Wow exciting. The Escape people will give you a lot of help, Most of all have fun. Travel light, you can allways pick up what you need. And keep us informed with stories and pictures. Good Luck
Taylor
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote