Newbie Question about running the AC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #1

Name: Kim
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Newbie Question about running the AC

Hi All!

I live in Central Florida and was just wondering if it's a good idea to keep the air running in the camper when not in use? I'm concerned with the humidity causing damage or smells inside. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
We run a dehumidifier in ours.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #3

Florida
I hadn't thought of that. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyb View Post
Hi All!

I live in Central Florida and was just wondering if it's a good idea to keep the air running in the camper when not in use? I'm concerned with the humidity causing damage or smells inside. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'd say the A/C a couple hours a few times a week should do it if you don't open it much.
If you use a dehumidifier be prepared to empty it regularly.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Not a 100% sure of the difference in mid-Tenn vs where you're at in Florida but our humidity is HORRIBLE! It's been in the low 90's with humidity up in the mid to high 60's. At night, the humidity soars to 100%.

While I have my 13' Scamp under a carport, I've NEVER ran the A/C unless I'm sleeping in it or just fire it up every 6-8 weeks to keep it from sitting too long.

I DO keep my "kitchen" and bathroom windows and my Fantastic Fan cracked along with EVERY cabinet door AND my fridge door cracked open as well...and especially the bathroom door cracked open 24/7 year-round!! The Scamp has ALWAYS smelled the same.

This has gone on for 8 yrs as I bought it new in 2010. No problems with mildew/mold or smells. FWIW...NEVER have used a "dehumidifier". Again, this may be a different environment than Fla. But this works for me in Tn!

Quote:
Hi All!

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #6

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
I am in Central NC, keep the frig, bathroom and vents cracked and use tubs of DampRid. No mildew so far.
Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #7

Florida
Thank you all! I think I'll start by trying a dehumidifier and / or Damp rid. I can't leave any of the windows open because we are in the middle of monsoon season!!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ahhh...that WOULD make a difference in our situations!

Quote:
Thank you all! I think I'll start by trying a dehumidifier and / or Damp rid. I can't leave any of the windows open because we are in the middle of monsoon season!!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
A dehumidifier would be my choice, probably the smallest room model available, and I'd put it on the counter and drain it into the sink/gray tank so it wouldn't need frequent attention.

Walt
Old 07-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #10
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Our humidity is horrible here too and we're in NW SC! We keep a large tub of DampRid on the kitchen counter. That seems to do just fine for us!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:24 PM   #11

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavery View Post
I am in Central NC, keep the frig, bathroom and vents cracked and use tubs of DampRid. No mildew so far.
Jean
10aC here..we keep the vents open and ues Damp-Rid. No problemo since we got the TT last April..tho we've been camping alot already. Rarely use AC, tho we DO use it.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:34 AM   #12

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
central Fla. heat & humidity

Quote:
Hi All!

Hi...we too live in central Fla. First..you don't keep bedding, fabrics in there do you? We remove evvverything as I've been told by others that it's a recipe for disaster with mold! Damp rid...a couple of them, always. We went back n forth for a while with leaving the AC set on 80 last year (our first summer). That got old...we cracked windows a bit..having a cover on it ALL the time, helped keep rain out. We placed a thermostat inside. Its consistently over 110 degree's in there. So we purchased a good (Eva Dry, on Amazon) the largest model -dehumidifier. It will work on campers RV's up to 35 ft. Overkill...but In researching them, i learned that the small ones do not work over 80-90 degree temps. Darn!! but..this one does. The hose comes out of it, into the sink drain. Set it on auto, it senses the humidity, runs probably most of the day.We are concerned about the oak cabinets..mold getting under this -mistake- of an insulation we had put in.
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #13

Florida
Thank you so much for the information. How long can you run it before you have to empty your gray water? We haven't decided if we want a bucket style with an automatic shut off or one with a tube that drains into the sink or shower.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #14

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Dehumidifier

Hi... we use the long tube to drain into the sink. The Eva dry sits on the counter near it. It empties into the gray water tank which is some 30 gallons... no worries at all and nothing to have to go empty all the time👏
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #15

Name: Trudy
Louisiana
I'm in south central Louisiana and use one like this when the casita is not being used.
.....https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...mpaign=8175035
It gets really warm in there, but keeps the humidity out along with smells. We leave all the doors open, except the closet(keep a damp-rid in there)
Eric and Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote