Newbie questions on towing/repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 72 Compact Jr
Registry
Hello,

Do you guys use sway bars on these little guys? Mine was bouncing and swaying all over the place on the way back to Portland. Was it because it was empty? Also, any recommendations on where to get the electric and gas lines checked out in the Beaverton area?

Thanks
Sharyl

ps--I'm getting the tires checked tomorrow.
Sharyl Allender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Woo Hoo!! You got it! I told you it was just sitting there, waiting for YOU! You are going to have Soooo much fun.

The trailer will ride better when it has some weight in it. Check that it rides level. I have an anti-friction bar (actual 'sway bars' don't fit the smaller hitches), which I like for the added safety factor. Some say they only give a 'sense of security'...but I feel that it does work well. Others will chime in with more info...
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When i owned a Compact J it towed better with weight in the front end.Once i did that i had no other problems.Yes and make sure trailer is level when towing.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Congratulations!

Towing performance depends on:

- a healthy suspension on both tug and toad

- properly inflated tires

- correct tongue weight

- a level hitch.

If those are all as they should be, special towing accessories shouldn't be necessary.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:31 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Congratulations!

- correct tongue weight

- a level hitch.

If those are all as they should be, special towing accessories shouldn't be necessary.

OK,..so I hitch up and check the angle? And the removeable wheel is a pain in the hindy..can I change it to a fixed wheel or will that hit the ground on bumps?

Sharyl
Old 05-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Sharyl,

Glad to have another Compact owner on board.

I own a 1973 Compact Jr. I've towed it behind a Nissan Maxima, Jeep Cherokee, and Toyota Sienna. I use no WDH or sway bar. The only sway problem I've ever had was caused by worn-out shocks on the rear of the Jeep. My tongue jack has a flat plate bolted on the bottom, works well, and never drags.
Tom Trostel

here is a link to photo of the tongue
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...0373&p=73194432
Old 05-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Sharyl,

Was it you that got that showroom squeaky clean CJ from Tacoma?

Congrats, whatever it was..

we want pics!

Oh, and yes, weight in the trailer keeps it more stable. I had to take everything out of mine once (Cushions, all gear EVERYTHING) and tow it to a welder for a mod. It was virtually empty of anything but the inner shell and appliances. I saw and felt that guy dancing and bobbing all the way!

Put the stuff back in, all gooder!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Congratulations!

- correct tongue weight

- a level hitch.

Jack covered all the bases. 15% of the total weight on the tongue, trailer and tow vehicle tires inflated to max or near max (depending on rating, etc. etc.), all of the parts properly designed, adjusted, and working... and with the rig level, you shouldn't have any issues.

After that, if you use sway control, it's for peace of mind, not to mask an otherwise correctable problem that will resurface to bite you at the worst possible moment.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:54 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'll add to what Jack and Roger said by stating that there is just no way to get the proper tongue weight without actually weighing the trailer, all loaded up and ready to travel and then using that number to calculate the TW.

Good towing starts with good weight distribution, regardless of the hitch hardware (anti-sway bar, WDH, etc) one might add as a safety factor.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:12 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Congrats Sharyl! I travel the I-5 corridor northbound from Portland quite a bit. I offer the suggestion to travel with the trucks...in other words, not the 75+mph most of the vehicles travel. 60-65mph is a good speed towing a trailer. Should help with the boinging a bit too.

Curtis trailer is in Beaverton..I think Give them a call and find out the charges for checking out the gas lines and appliances. Otherwise an independent RV dealer (I use American Dreamer in the Gresham area).

Hopefully we'll get to meet you at the NEXT Northern Oregon Gathering
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:25 AM   #11

Registry
Thanks, Tom. The Photo helps a lot. How is the spare tire secured? Mine is just inside, which will not work sine I have a rubber allergy!
Old 05-27-2006, 07:41 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Congrats Sharyl! I travel the I-5 corridor northbound from Portland quite a bit. I offer the suggestion to travel with the trucks...in other words, not the 75+mph most of the vehicles travel. 60-65mph is a good speed towing a trailer. Should help with the boinging a bit too.
Well, it was rather odd going 50-60 in the slow lane! Every once and a while it would feel like a little kid tugging on the back of my shirt, I'd glance in the mirror ..oh, #@*#! I forgot again.

Do you just take it thru one of the truck scales for the weight? I'm off to get tires and practice backing up in empty parking lots today. A friend's husband got it into the driveway for me (in a rain shower) so practicing is a must.

Sharyl
Old 05-27-2006, 08:55 AM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Do you just take it thru one of the truck scales for the weight?

[b]L [b]K in your Yellow Pages Phone Book under: [b]Scales, Public Weighers. That should point you in the right direction. Here in California, businesses like Moving Van & Storage Companies, and "California Redemption Value," CRV recycling companies have truck scales open to the public for weighing vehicles in order to process some Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) paperwork. These places usually charge a small ($5.00 - $10.00) fee.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #14

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
For checking the Gas lines a small paint brush and soapy water will work. check all the fittings and make sure appiances are off , charge the system and soap up the joints. Just like blowing bubbles when you were a kid. For Sway I am amazed at how many people tow trailers at excessive speeds. Keep it under 60-65 helps a lot. Much easier on tires and fuel consumption. I wonder how many people with blow outs were traveling at excessive speeds.
Besides all that enjoy, a perfect time of year to buy a new to you Egg.
Taylor
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #15

Registry
Oregon truck scales are open to the puplic. If you go out the 26, there is one just by the split to Tillamook and Seaside.

The rural ones are most often unmanned but left on. Just pull in and read the big red digital readout!
Old 05-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #16

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Frederick has a good idea, but it doesn't apply to Oregon: Our free, unattended, and often deserted weigh stations are a real bonus to the rolling eggs. I tend to use the one eastbound on the Sunset located just east of where the road from Tillamook joins the Cannon beach road.
It is usually so deserted that I can run through again and again checking and double-checking weights on the various axles and wheels by looping back right on the spot.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #17

Registry
Per owes me a Coke!

I'll take a Dr Pepper, thx!
Old 05-27-2006, 10:42 AM   #18

Registry
Thanks Per! Since I plan on working on the backing up tech. in empty parking lots today...I'll just pop down 26 and get an "empty" weight. Maybe I'll throw the dog into the back of the car so he can watch us being followed.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:15 PM   #19

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Gina:

If by that you mean that I am much too wordy to get my posts punched in in a timely manner I plead guilty. Next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'll drop by with a tall cool Dr. P., but that could be quite a while. However, I'll then expect a 16-ounce Mocha, two shots, with a little whipped cream on top. Thanks!

Sharyl:

If you have someone help you by giving instructions on how you are doing when backing up, remember the sage advice from one of our more experienced members: Use a pair of walkie-talkies to communicate with but be sure to take the batteries out before using them. It will go much smoother.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Sharyl,
My spare was loose when I bought the trailer. I never seen a photo of a "factory" mounted spare on a Compact Jr. I've seen photos of some mounted flat underneath the floor, but I thought the tongue was the best place. I jury rigged the spare. It rests in the angle of the v-shape tongue with a small piece of rope behind the lower edge so it can't slide toward the open area. There is a rachet- strap tighten around the diameter of the tire that is attached at each end under the edge of the tongue. A small threaded rod is bolted to one lug nut hole and at the other end bolted to the iron ring that holds the propane tank. The location was an experiment and I happy with how in works. Now I need to have a permanent welded bracket made and get a new longer propane hose that will fit around the spare. Tom Trostel