Newbie to "EGGS" & I LOVE this Forum!! :) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-22-2008, 12:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977 ('Total Eggstacy')
Hi Everyone. Just want to say what a WONDERFUL forum you have here. I am so happy to be part of it.
I had been "lurking" for a week or so and decided to chime in. My vintage egg is a 1977-13' Scamp. It needs a little TLC that I am VERY eager to do ASAP, but with all the snow way up here in Wisconsin it will probably not melt until June. I have learned SO much in the week I have been reading from all of you. THANX ALOT!!!
I almost sealed my entire egg with DAP silicone. My plans have drastically changed and I would rather do the correct thing and put a little more time and money into it---even if it means no camping in it in 2008.
Yesterday I went to a local RV/Service Dealer... VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!! The 2 people were helpful, but instantly looked like "a deer in headlights" the moment I mentioned I owned a 1977-13' Scamp, ALL fiberglass and that I need an axle installed w/brakes in the spring. And the price quote seemed steep. Granted I do not expect people to work for free, but $550 for just axle and installation seemed ALOT. This DID NOT include new wheels or anything else. Being a single girl, I don't want to be ripped off and unfortunately my dad or brother don't have a clue about this stuff. Anyway...I will continue to read/learn & post. I will write more soon about my egg and will learn how to post photos. Hope everyone has a super weekend. Take care and to those in warm weather-like Arizona (my home state ---Happy Camping !!
Sincerely, Jessie R. in Appleton, Wisconsin
Jessie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 82 Burro 13 ft
welcome to the board... i'm also in WI, & i'm eager for spring thaw so i can get to work on my '81 burro... yesterday i shoveled a path through the 15"+ so i could sit in my gutted trailer w/ a cup of coffee and daydream...
i also took measurements & stuff for the floor plan...
--- steven
steven jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Welcome! This is a very nice board with a lot of helpful and sweet people.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Hey, Jessie.

Before you plop down your money at an RV place, use the snowy time to do a little research. If your Scamp's axle is welded on, try to find a local welder that is willing to take it on. You can order the axle yourself. Your axle may be bolted on. If it is, it should cost much less to have it replaced. Find out what axle you need/want then you can order it. You could also call Scamp and tell them what trailer you have and I'm sure they tell you what you need to replace it or which ones would be suitable upgrades.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use the RV place, just thought I would let you know that there are other options.

It really won't take you long to get your Scamp where you can camp in it, then you can fine tune it as you go.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #5

Thanx Suz for the info. Every little bit helps.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Another possible source for getting an axle replace is a someplace that builds and/or repairs utility type trailers.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Horse trailers shop.

running gear is running gear.. and horse trailer guys really don't care whats in the coach or what it's made of.

I have a wonderful "Trailer guy" here that does predominantly horse trailers. I have always been happy with his prices and work.

For "Coach" specific stuff, I do most myself. It's not hards to learn or do.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 82 Burro 13 ft
i used to work at Triton Trailers, building snowmobile, boat & utility trailers... i know guys in the shop, & i plan to get a "custom" frame to replace my bent frame, & a brake axle...
www.tritontrailers.com they are located in Hartford, south of you, but northwest of Milwaukee...
FWIW, you could contact them to see if they have something that'll fit...?
--- steven
steven jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
You could check out your local Badger Utility location as well, or iv you were to make it over to the Wausau area I'd recommend These Guys.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, Jessie and welcome! You have already learned about the wealth of knowledge and info available on this forum from wonderful folks who love to share what they know. We, too, have learned sooooo much since we joined. Good luck with your axle & other rehab projects. We wish you safe travels and many, many happy memories with your Scamp!

Take care, L 'n D (currently enjoying the warmth & sunshine of your native state!)
Old 02-28-2008, 06:57 AM   #11

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and suggestions that have been offered. I will post photos as soon as I can find the disk. I am not very organized.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and suggestions that have been offered. I will post photos as soon as I can find the disk. I am not very organized.
Hi: and Organized shmorganized... Google Scamp Trailers and visit their web site, download the parts list from parts and service and you will see their price for a new axle with/without brakes!!! Also check over at Dexter Axle for a #9 axle then find a local welder that you can trust(Tall order...I know) most important is to have fun along the way.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote