Newfie Trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Newfie Trip

We've completed our 6 week trip to Newfoundland, one of our best trips anywhere. We coverd 6,372 miles, more than we had planned. Of course it's about 750 miles one way just to get to the ferry to Newfoundland. I estimate that we towed the trailer for about half the distance, a little over 3,000 miles.

Most of our highway driving to Newfoundland and across Newfoundland was at 60 +/-5 mph. The highway driving in Newfoundland was wonderful, very little traffic. Interesting our last hour of our drive home, from Portland, ME to Hampton, NH about 50 miles, we saw more cars than we saw in our entire drive around Newfoundland.

The interesting thing is our average speed for the 6,372 miles was 37.1 mph. We always drive all the side roads in Newfoundland, out to the little outports. Since we averaged 37 miles per hour for the entire trip it's obviously we drove slowly on these very often, well pot-holed roads. Of course, we also drove many dirt roads.

Over our trip we purchased 289 gallons of gas averaging $4.56 per gallon. Overall we averaged 22 mpg, it didn't seem to matter if we were towing or just driving about.

Go to Newfoundland if you can.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Sounds like you kids had fun!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
'Delighted to hear you had another amazing adventure! Do show photos and tell us more!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #4

Florida
These kids are now 70. If you'd like to see pictures drop me a pm and i'll send you copies of our newfie newsletter.

The kids are already thinking of returning to NL next spring.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Hi ... sounds like an awesome trip . I was wondering - how long ( and rocky ) is the crossing really . We are planning a trip to the east coast for fall , but do have a time restriction , so not sure about NFL . Would love to .... but expensive for a quick visit we think .
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #6

Florida
The ferry crossing is normally very smooth. The ships are huge and loaded with freight. Our round trip cost was about $600 for 2 plus our Scamp 16 and Honda CRV.

The cost encourages 6 week visits.

People who go for shorter visits always regret it. We met a couple from BC on their second trip, really a long ride and said one needs to stay at least a month. We've now spent 10 months in Newfoundland and I'm planning 2 more aiming at the Fogo and Change Islands.

You'll never regret going.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
bec

Alberta
Thanks for the feed back ...... for sure we would not have 6 weeks . We were also thinking spring/early summer might be a better choice for NFL , but we do have this fall planned for the east . If we can work in 2 weeks we'll likely go ( who knows when the next chance will be ) ... with the understanding we'll only see very little of coarse .
Old 06-30-2013, 04:27 AM   #8

Florida
Bec,
We usually go in mid-May thru early July, a good time to catch the icebergs. With a 2 week time interval I would concentrate on the west coast called the northern peninsula.

The west coast trip could include 3 World Heritage centers. Gros Morne, their world recognized national park where one can almost never see it all, l'Anse Meadows, site of the Viking landing and even a quick hop over to Red Bay in Labrador, a whaling center from the 1500s.

If you decide to go we can send you more tips.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #9

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Sounds like a great trip. Glad you had fun with no problems.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #10

Florida
Ted,
We had no issues on the trip. Everything worked just fine though as you can imagine every trip is the catalyst for change and improvement.

During one evening rainstorm we had a tiny drip leak at the rear window and a similar small leak at the front window. They only happened that once even though we had a number of strong rains, though it seemed to mostly rain at night.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
bec

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Bec,
We usually go in mid-May thru early July, a good time to catch the icebergs. With a 2 week time interval I would concentrate on the west coast called the northern peninsula.

The west coast trip could include 3 World Heritage centers. Gros Morne, their world recognized national park where one can almost never see it all, l'Anse Meadows, site of the Viking landing and even a quick hop over to Red Bay in Labrador, a whaling center from the 1500s.

If you decide to go we can send you more tips.
Hi .....thanks for the info . Have you always gone over in the late spring early summer . One of our concerns is late summer/early fall storms . This has been in our plans for a long time " our east coast trip " most of the areas we will travel through are not new to us . However the Maritimes are and with the bad storms that have hit the Nova Scotia/ New Brunswick area the last few years has us wondering whether late summer/early fall is perhaps not the best time choice .
Old 07-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Did you get any pictures of vikings?
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #13

Florida
Pictures of Vikings..... Actually we avoided the Vikings this year.

We have gone to L'anse Meadows in the past to see rhe Viking site. It is very well done with full time people portraying vikings.

Well worth a stop. Amazing that the Vikings made it to the NA, more amazing that some one took a Viking saga, followed the clues and found where they landed.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm waiting for Christopher Columbus to respond to this post.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #15
bec

Alberta
Seat belts are are good .........
Old 07-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm waiting for Christopher Columbus to respond to this post.
Hi: Glenn Baglo... He's still smarting over the fact that he wasn't the first to arrive!!! Now he has to wait to reboot his c'puter.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #17

Florida
One thing we've learned in our travels is that very often you don't see what's before you until it's pointed out.

Sitting on the coast of Oregon a man knocked on our window and said do you have any of these, holding out a handful of agates. He told us they could be found on the beach. We had never seen them but once we knew they were there they became visible.

Similarly with L'anse aux Meadows. After cruising down the coast of Labrador Helge Ingstad stopped near the Meadows and asked if there were any little hills around, (remains of Viking sod houses). The inhabitants said yes, the kids play on them. Years of 'digs' confirmed the sites with significant artifact discovery.

If you go to the Meadows drive to the end of the road to a small village and visit the Norseman, an excellent little restaurant.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #18

Name: Greg
Trailer: 1974Boler
Manitoba
Norm and Ginny,

I had to sneak in here and say how pleasant it is to hear you comment on how much you enjoyed your trip to the rock. I was born and raised there, I presently live in Winnipeg but return every year as my whole family lives there, I tell friends there are three cultures in Canada; French, Newfoundland and Canadian haha. I have to say you put a big smile on my face when I read your thread...most Canadians I know have never been there.

Glad to see you embraced the many accents I hope your future trips are fun filled as well...safe travels.

P.S. Fogo island is fantastic

Greg
Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #19

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Hi Norm And Ginny,

I hope to make a Newfie trip soon and was wondering about cell phone coverage. Did you have decent connectivity during your travels to that magical place?

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #20

Florida
Thank you Greg. Part of the problem is the ferry cost, in part making it expensive for short trips.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16