Newfoundland - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Made it To Fogo Island. Everything and more. Today from one vantage point I counted 91 icebergs., 91 is not a typo.

We plan to spend a week. The ferry round trip is priced at $20.35 for two seniors with CRV and Scamp.

Most tourists come in the summer, lucky us.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1401736392606.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #16

Florida
Iceberg Blue Fogo Island, NL

Attached Thumbnails
1401810240253.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-04-2014, 06:27 AM   #17

Florida
Travel Thought

Of course we like the dramatic, famous travel spots, views that shock your eye, like Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon. We have done them all but what we like best is meeting the people and understanding their lives, their culture.

The other day we were taking a hike out to see the icebergs and ran into a local author who recited one of his poems about the irish coming to and settling Newfoundland. Since we love to understand these little outport towns we bought his books. These places have only changed from their ultra rural nature since our young adulthood.

It's hard to imagine that until icebreakers, relatively recently, these communities would be isolated from early winter when the bays froze until early spring when supply boats could again return. This fosters a special kind of person, families and community.

You see it in their music, their language and their kindness to people like us.

Newfoundland is something not to be missed before our modern world makes it no more.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #18

Florida
Brimstone Head.
We're camped in the shadow of Brimstone Head at the Lions Club Campground (in Aug there's a very good music festival here).

The head is one of the four corners of the world. On a rather warm day in Fogo, 68 F, though very blustery we climbed the Head. Spectacular views in every direction.
The first is the Head. The second the village of Fogo. The 3rd two 71 year old hikers.

Attached Thumbnails
1401912378908.jpg   1401912498978.jpg  

1401912569452.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #19

Name: Ron
Trailer: 24 ft 5th Wheel Shadow Cruiser
Michigan
U -2-R looking fine,,but looks a little kool by your jackets???nice trip,keep the pics coming'
-----------
Ron
Old 06-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #20

Florida
Ron, it was the warmest day we've had since we left Florida. It was 68 F but the wind was really blowing. Truly blow me down gusts.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-05-2014, 05:47 AM   #21

Florida
Newfoundland Weather

I've had a couple of PMs about the weather this spring in Newfoundland. It's been interesting in that the coldest and warmest days we've experienced since leaving Florida have happened in Newfoundland.

Yesterday, though we may have looked cold hiking up to Brimstone Head, we were not cold, mainly just wind blown. The wind made the hike a more conscious event, the temperature reached a high of 68 F.

About 10 days ago we had the coldest day since leaving Florida when we were camped in Notre Dame Provincial Park, mid-island, where we woke to a big flake snow shower and freezing temperatures. That day we reached a high of 39 F.

Generally we do not see May flies or mosquitos when we travel in May and June in Newfoundland. I think the combination of temperature and wind help with that potential problem. Though interestingly last night at 4 AM Ginny and I woke simultaneously to the buzz of a mosquito who was dispatched after 3 tries.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #22

Florida
Newfoundland Ferries

Paul,

As to the long or short ferry from North Sydney, Nova Scotia, we always have taken the short ferry. Of course short is a relative word because the short ferry takes 6 hours, the long ferry takes 14 and has on occasion taken more than a day depending on the North Atlantic weather.

If you always take the short ferry it means if you drive across the island, you have to drive back to get the short ferry. There is no loop road. For us that's not a problem because there is so much to see, and do.

The long ferry as I recall is 2 to 3 times as expensive.

The island is deceptive. On our first trip here we thought we see the whole thing in 12 days. We managed to see some of the western part of the island, the northern peninsula. On our second trip we made it to St. Johns, crossing the whole island and seeing a lot going out and coming back, but missing many side roads. Now after some 7 trips we've seen most of the island though on the ferry trip over a kayaker was showing some iceberg pictures of St. Brennon's island, another place we haven't been. I quess there's next year.

It's obvious we don't race from place to place.

Yesterday we met another couple at the top of Brimstone head from Montreal. They asked us about Gros Morne Provincial Park, planning to spend a couple of days there. We didn't discourage them, because it is a marvelous park. I think over the years of our travel here we've spent more than 2 months in the park and always discover something new.

My sister in law is in Clifton, Ireland this week, near where Ginny's family is from. She wrote, "I could just remain in Clifton forever if it wasn't for family". I know how she feels, as we travel about we know about at least a 1,000 places we'd be happy living.

On our climb yesterday we met another young man who came back to Fogo from Ontario to visit his grandparents. He's now looking for a job so he can stay. As well this week the 'once a year' small cruise ship came into Fogo. The Lions club treated them to refreshments, music and a talk by an author, all happening at the campground. They invited us as well. One of the musicians told me that he came for a visit and stayed.

There's a magic to the quiet here, the naturalness of the people you meet, the simple downhome friendliness that can make you want to stay here, particularly if you come from city insanity.

Sorry it's long. I get carried away with love for places and life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #23

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
The time spent on a ferry is not time well spent - in my experience. I used to get sick as a dog and my wife always enjoyed the ride. We crossed the North Sea 40 years ago and nobody wants to hear my details. She, on the other hand, drank and ate danish pastry at the bar. I hope I have outgrown my motion sensitivity.
As to the fact that there is not circular road on the island, traveling the same road in both directions is a way to get much more out of the trip, I think.
Great pictures!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #24

Florida
Another Reason for a Small Trailer

We met an author the other day a real Newfoundlander and 'Fogoian'. He knows everything about the past of this island as one reads in his 3 books of stories and hears in his poetry.

He's come by a couple times and today brought someone around from NYC to meet us and see our trailer.

I recognized that the little trailer is not intimating to people like a big fifth wheel or glitzy motor home might. It some how puts more in the cast of a normal human, requiring little.

Is this true, I don't know but it's a reasonable thought.

The guy from NYC left thinking it was possible for him.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-06-2014, 06:04 AM   #25

Florida
Newfoundland Weather

Admittedly it's a small sample, but virtually every day the weatherman has gotten the weather wrong on Fogo. Every day has been better than projected.

Last night we were talking to the 'head Lion' at the Lion Club's campground. He told us not to leave on Monday, that we brought the good weather.

One of the neater aspects of Newfoundland is that virtually every town has specific hiking trails, there most be a dozen on the island.

Most of the island is un-inhabited by people. Surprisingly to us the island has 3 Caribou herds, each numbering about 200 Caribou. We've only seen solitary Caribou on the island and they don't seem to spooked by traffic or people. We met a man who recently had a herd on his property and was even able to pet one from his porch.

For the those who Kayak, this could be a great place with numerous harbours. For islanders the Kayak is not the vessel of choice. Their get around, person powered boat is the Punt. a 15 foot row boat. Later this month they have their annual Punt race, first place is $3000, about a 3 hour row for the winners.

We leave here on Monday heading to a neighboring Change Islands, a island as long as Fogo, but narrow. We can see it from the window of our trailer. It should be much more rural than Fogo where there are 10 small communities, Change has one.

Since Change is on the Ferry route off the island there is no charge for the stop.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #26

Florida
Another hike today. Fogo was the longest action of one of Marconi' Wireless towers. There are numerous hiking trails in the area. We hiked put to the Eastern Tickle where there used to be a community of 100.

Second picture of Brimstone Head from Marconi, s Hill.

Attached Thumbnails
1402063094222.jpg   1402063154023.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #27

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I'm glad to see you're enjoying yourselves Norm. Someday my wife and I hope to follow your tracks to Newfoundland. We really enjoy reading about the adventures of Norm and Ginny!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #28

Florida
Mark, everywhere turns out to be fun and interesting, particularly Newfoundland. Fogo is to the point of unique. Thanks Mark

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16