Newfoundland - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A Magic Moment

Today is a chilly (39F), foggy day in Newfoundland, our last on Fogo Island. No complaint because the weather has been good.

Today while stocking up for our next adventure on the Change Islands we stopped at a small harbour because Ginny wanted to take a picture. A small, bigger than our car, was in the middle of the harbour, rather suddenly it turned over. We had never seen one roll before.

Love the new...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #30

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Safe travels to you two. Were all jealous.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #31

Florida
Feeling a little down since we're leaving in the morning. We've made a couple of friends on the island, one an author about our age. He's written three books about the island and the way it was and in part the way it is.

I've read them all plus two others we bought in the same style.

We went for a 'mug up' at his home yesterday. He showed us his small garden, about 30 x 30' where he grows potatoes and other root crops, enough for the year. All plantings are in what they call 'lazy beds'. Linear mounds of humped soil. Of course they mostly fertilize with seaweed.

To top it all off he has a real root cellar.. the in the dirt mound type.

He's in some sense a survivalist, not consciously like in the states, but rather a person that can grow his own food, fish and hunt.

It was not that long ago, in our life time, when this was their lifestyle. In a sense some of the people here are like visiting another time. We find it educational and stimulating.

Tomorrow we leave for the nearby Change Islands, smaller and even more rural than Fogo.

This is a must visit place, for me a re-visit place. The miracle of this year's icebergs is startling. We were in this area last year and nary a one.

Safe Travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #32

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Quebec
Wasnin NFLND a couple of years back. Can,t wait to go back. Very very unique place. Excellent hiking, vistas, kayaking etc... Yes the traverse is expensive but nfland is much larger than you would expect. Plan to spend as much of the summer there as possible. It is a major trip not a side trip. The Maritimes are also wonderful ( biased since we used to live in N but I would recommend making the Maritimes one trip and Nflnd another.
We are envious. Enjoy a fantastically unique place. It is an adventure at leaf equal to Alaska.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #33

Name: Jared
Trailer: WTB a 19' Scamp
Ontario
doyles

hey folks, keep a close eye for moose. Dad, uncle, and I went hunting there back in 2010, had a blast, just be careful at night. I highly recommend a Newfie moose hunt. I'm from Ontario and I'm somewhat used to Irish and Scottish accents, but I had a very hard time understanding my backwoods guide's accent. His name was Pious, and he was I'd also recommend St. Martin's New Brunswick. Great food and people and fantastic hiking. Only place I've ever made it to the top of a hill and found a swamp.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #34

Florida
We've been to Alaska and it is a great visit though we like Newfoundland better.

There is certainly a lot of freshwater ponds and generally spongy soil but fantastic hiking. We have seen our share of moose but only on the main island where they were introduced about 150 years ago. On the outer islands like Fogo and Change there are no Moose though Fogo has three large Caribou herds.

We spent a lot of time with two people from Fogo. It reminds me of going to Ireland, you in a sense need to re-calibrate your listening and occasionally your listening gets stopped by a new word Ginny and I watched a lot of Irish movies for a while and it used to take us about 15 minutes to lock into the language.

As to duration, any trip to Newfoundland is worth a month. We usually spend two months.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #35

Florida
Bullyboat

We absolutely lucked out. The owner of our campground, Peter Porter, is building a bullyboat, a traditional Newfoundland sail boat about 30 feet long. He's been hunting the woods to get appropriately shaped timbers.

Makes me want to come back to see it launched next year.

Peter also has a neat little museumand plays the accordian for you when you visit.

Love our travels, something at every turn and the roads on the Change Islands have more turns.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #36

Florida
Newfoundland Icebergs.

We left Change Islands this morning and are now near Twillingate camped in Dildo Run Provincial Park on the Virgin Arm.

The Icebergs are almost beyond belief, unfortunately it's foggy and overcast tomorrow will be brighter.

The pictured icebergs are mostly football field size. The Canadian Coast Guard says there are a 1000 more behind them. We are lucky to be here.
Attached Thumbnails
1402512354305.jpg   1402512375731.jpg  

1402512395998.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #37

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Norm and Ginny
Glad you guys are having a great time and enjoying your travels! Thanks for the Newfoundland reports, they are very interesting and informative! Stay safe!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #38

Florida
Really Cold in Twillingate

It was 33 this morning at our campground but the fog has lifted and now we can see real ice.

We were here last year at this time and there was no ice, now it's everywhere. So far thru June this is the coldest year in North AMerica since 1900.

Actually AL Gore predicted that there would be no Arctic ice in the summer of 2014, another failed prediction. On the other end of the spectrum he predicted bigger hurricanes for the USA, we haven't had a major hurican in over 8 years.

Regardless, there's plenty of ice and we're in the middle of June here, not that it has anything to do with global warming but it is awe inspiring to see so much ice. Ginny and I are truly shocked
Attached Thumbnails
20140612_105510.jpg   20140612_105500.jpg  

20140612_102018.jpg   20140612_103705.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #39

Florida
Today Ginny and I drove out to a small outpost to a delightful seafood lunch. Right on the owner's Wharf.... He catches the fish, lobster and crab... Really fresh. It was Samsone Seafood.

He had 100 crab pots out. Crab pots sit in 1200 feet of water. The Icebergs have probably destroyed them all. He does not expect the ice to clear until September.

Those are crab pots in the foreground.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1402775313073.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #40

Florida
Just a little comment...

Two of the good places we went this year were Fogo and Change Islands. The tourist bureau does not list campgrounds for these locations and the Visitor's bureaus do not promote campgrounds not in 'their' book.

Fogo has one of NL's best sited, cleanness and friendliest campgrounds at Brimstone Head run by the Lions Club. Change Island has a small, just above primitive campground run by Peter Porter. It is also well sited, reasonable, but small, only 5 sites. Best Peter is great has a wonderful museum and is constructing a Bully Boat, one of the few of it's kind, maybe the only one.

I mention this because we have met two campers that did not go to these locations because they are far out and lack campgrounds. (I will say you can go almost anywhere in Newfoundland and just park it with out concern.)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #41

Florida
Howley, NL

We're sadly on our way home. On the trek home we plan to drive what are the last two significant roads in Newfoundland that we have not driven. The first is the road to the small town of Howley and the second to Jackson's Arm.

We drove out to Howley first and Ginny, the good sport that she is, never complains about my need to drive to these places, to get to the end of the road.

We got to Howley and discovered that Howley used to be on the now dismantled Newfoundland railway line. It is the location where for Moose captured in 1904 were released into Newfoundland. The resulting number has grown from four, 2 males, 2 pregnant females, to around 140,000 moose covering the entire island. The stories of the capture and release of the moose were well worth the trip. You have to love the ends of roads.

Howley was named after James Patrick Howley, geologist and explorer. He explored the Newfoundland interior in the late 1800's, in part looking for viable coal seams which he did find at the town of Hurley.

So much to know and an awful lot of 'end of roads' to go.

For those of you who get the Newfoundland Newsletter, my phone ahs never recovered but upon getting home I should be able to finish them. I will say this has been our best yet trip to Newfoundland.

We have met some wonderful everyday people, had dinner at a marvelous inn on Change Island, chatted with a very interesting author, hiked all over Fogo, and of course the massive icebergs, sculpted into all kinds of shapes.

Hope you all get there and the bergs are huge...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #42

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
It is too bad it is almost over, but nothing is forever. Start planning the next adventure/activity/whatever. Thanks for sharing the highlights of your trip.
How about ending this thread with a survey to find out if it is a male or female trait to find "the end of the road". I think we men more often say "I want to drive to the end" when the other half says "It's the end there, turn around!"
Along those lines - I always say "If I can drive in there, I should be able to back out of there." That is in theory, of course.