Newfoundland in October - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2003, 09:13 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome Maggie

And thanks for your N&L book suggestions. I know I'll be returning
one day so I shall look them up. Hope you'll post something about
your trip.

Ron

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:57 AM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
' date='Jul 21 2003, 01:22 PM' post='163263']
Does anyone know what it's like to camp in Newfoundland and Labrador in October?
We are part time Newfies, and camp on the Great Northern Peninsula up by St. Anthony. We have spent 30 summers up there and usually head out in the fall. We hardly ever camp in camping areas. Newfies are great gravel pit campers. You can stop just about anywhere along the coast and set up camp. We are in the process of buying our own land, but anyone can use it, that's the way it is up there. Most of the camping areas shut down after Sept. but a few remain open. Once freezing weather sets in, most water lines in camping areas are drained. We use a battery powered shower that you can buy in Cabelas. It works great. I simply take a bath in a brook. Its cold no matter what time of year it is. Make sure you have a furnace in your camper. Even in August, the nights can get cool along the Viking Trail. The best part of Newfy in the Fall or Winter is that there are few tourists. If you go up there, stop by the Treasure Chest in Rocky Harbor and say Hi to Joyce, the owner, and tell her that as soon as our Scamp is built, Bob and Cherie from N.H. will be back. She is a great lady and exemplifies what Newfoundlanders are all about. We sold our popup pickup camper and are eagerly awaiting our Scamp.
Bob and Cherie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:02 PM   #23

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Welcome to the family of fiberglass, Bob & Cherie. Thanks for the info about Newfoundland!

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:50 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I was back in NFLD in Spring of 2004, expecting to do some gravel pit camping and found that most had been closed by putting large rocks at the entrance -- Reportedly this was done for liability insurance reasons...
Attached Thumbnails
NFQUAR_1.JPG  
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:10 AM   #25

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
A blast from the past...I started this thread, it's fun to see it again. We took that October trip and by luck had one of the warmest autumns they'd seen. Public camps were all closed but many private were still open and quite empty. We used our furnace and indoor shower set up alot. We allso drove the brand new 300 mile gravel road up to Cartwright, Labrador (we left the trailer in Red Bay). We talked to a man up that way who told us he'd sold his very remote cabin to a man in Nova Scotia. He said smiling, "now it's his and mine". Beautiful country.
Maggie O. is offline   Reply With Quote