Newfoundland in October - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2003, 11:22 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Newfoundland in October

Does anyone know what it's like to camp in Newfoundland and Labrador in October?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 12:46 PM   #2

Maggie, I can't speak for the East Coast ....

but we can easily go camping (and sit out by the fire) until the end of Oct, or later, every year.

Old 07-21-2003, 01:02 PM   #3

I see many provincial parks close in Sept. Can you still enter the park? Stay overnight without services? Or is it all side of the road and private campgrounds?

Old 07-21-2003, 01:14 PM   #4

Most will close. 1 or 2 will remain open year round but without facilities such as washroom/shower, firewood, etc.

Not sure if you have seen this site:

http://www.gov.nf.ca/parks&reserves/map.htm

http://www.gov.nf.ca/parks&reserves/servfees.htm

Looks like I'm wrong (again), it seems that all Provincial parks on this site will close Sept/Oct.

I tried to help - we have a member or 2 here from NFLD, maybe they can clarify the situation. :)

Old 07-21-2003, 01:34 PM   #5

>>provincial parks close

Most will be closed ... and gated and padlocked shut.

And the few that will keep a picnic park area open, will chain off the campground.

We've been up to the Maritimes in May, before some of the PP open and found them chained.

Many of the private rv parks will still be open, however.

Old 07-21-2003, 01:49 PM   #6

I was just relating my experience with PP's in BC. Our weather must be better cause a few are open year round.

WTH do I know about NFLD anyway? :o

Old 07-21-2003, 02:24 PM   #7

In Ontario most parks close Thanksgiving weekend. That's in October for us Canadians. They usually require prior phone in reservations. After that most parks are chained shut but there are a very few that will remain open with no facilities available.

Yes its a bummer as many weekends after Thanksgiving would be beautiful to be camping.

I imagine Newfoundland and Labrador would shut down even earlier as I'm betting their weather turns bad sooner than Ontario.

Old 07-21-2003, 04:59 PM   #8

This doesn't sound too encouraging. I'm sure we could go. I just don't know if would be too frustrating. Here, off season is a good thing. It sounds like off season up there is really off. At least for camping.

Old 07-21-2003, 06:37 PM   #9

off season

Not sure if the east coast is the same as Ontario, but here non residents can get a permit for camping on crown(government) land, doesn't cost much, and you can pick and choose your site, it would just require a couple of maps and a bit of planning on your part.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:20 PM   #10

Free book

I just received a very informative free book about Nova Scotia that lists all of the campgrounds with detailed information. It looks like most close October 10/15 but some close as early as September 1.
Go to www.novascotia.com to request your free copy.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:32 PM   #11

Campgrounds open in October

I just happen to have the Newfoundland Travel Guide here, and I discover the following:
(1) Grand Codroy RV Camping Park, open until mid-Oct. Doyles, NL (that's "Newfoundland and Labrador"), 36 km from Port aux Basques.
(2) Lomond River Lodge Campground, open until mid-Oct., Lomond River, Route 431, on the edge of Gros Morne National Park.
(3) Gros Morne National Park, open year round.
...and other campgrounds open around the park until mid. Oct. One is open year round with unserviced sites.
(4) Country Inn Trailer Park, Gander, open until Oct.31.
(5) Indian Bay Connections, near Trinity, open until Oct. 30.
....and one in Eastport (open until Oct.16)
(6) Mountain View RV Park and Droghedea R.V.Park, Clarke's Beach (where I live), 90 km from St. John's.
(7) Cochrane Pond Family Campground, year round, 10 kms. or so from St. John's

That just about takes you across the Island. And the stories of Newfoundland weather closing in early are greatly exaggerated. We usually have lovely fall weather. Our problem is we have no spring -- so I usually escape to the mainland in May to avoid the cold, miserable weather when the ice comes down. There might be the occasional frost in October and November, but the snows rarely come before December.

If this attracts you to our fair province, do get the same guide I have. Call 1-800-563-NFLD, or go to the website: www.gov.nf.ca/tourism.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:39 PM   #12

Addendum to my last

Those two parks in Clarke's Beach are open until mid-Oct., and Cochrane is open year-round.

And a word to Charles Watts -- I have been absent from this wonderful forum because of other commitments, and likely missed you when you went to Nova Scotia. Did you come to Newfoundland yet?

Old 07-22-2003, 07:54 PM   #13

Floy Knows Best!

If you go to Newfoundland/Labrador in October you will be entering
one of the most atmospheric places that can be accessed by auto anywhere in North America. The atmosphere though will be trumped by a culture and people that will astound. Floy can't say this because modesty prevents him (See below, should read "her")
. And if you do go, and you like to read, then
"Colony of Unrequited Dreams" a novel by Dwayne Johnson, is an absolute must. Not only will it give you a history of the province being dragged kicking and screaming into Canada in 1949 but it is also a fantastic love story. It is my favourite novel. Everyone who reads it raves it. Go!
You'll have not a single regret (IMNSHO).

ps maybe ask Floy about the ferry from Sydney, Nova Scotia

ps while you're at it maybe ask Floy what's the best Newfoundlandese-English dictionary in pocket form. If you want to
find your way around you will need one! (just kidding!)

Cheers, Ron

Old 07-22-2003, 08:09 PM   #14

Well that's better! I think we'll try. We went last year in July and can't wait to go back. One thing or another and we've put it off. I was concerned about finding a hot shower and enjoying the weather. Thank you all for responding. I've got my Newfoundland and Labrador visitors package. It seems strange to me that they close the provincial parks so early. They do the same thing along the outer banks in North Carolina and I know Fall is the best time to be there. I've been looking for info on crown land camping permits. I get the impression they are not required in Newfoundland. Is that true? If not where do you get one? Thanks again everybody.

Old 07-22-2003, 08:44 PM   #15

Ferry service

The ferry should be no problem. The Marine Atlantic October schedule shows two or three sailings each way per day between Port aux Basques and North Sidney but fewer sailings to and from Argentia.
http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/

Old 07-22-2003, 11:06 PM   #16

Thank you Floy

I knew we had a member here from NFLD who would back up what I was trying to say. :)

Old 07-23-2003, 03:48 AM   #17

Newfoundland English

The most authoritative dictionary, and one full of good humour as well, is "Dictionary of Newfoundland English" (G.M.Story, W.J.Kirwin et al.), 1982. And, Ron, I am a woman -- Floy, a very uncommon name, is wherever I have found it attached to a woman. Ah, but it is too commonly thought otherwise.

Old 07-23-2003, 07:44 AM   #18

Newfoundland

Bob Hoffmann's web site has a very good day by day account of a three week stay on the island in September of 2001. http://www.bhoffcomp.com/

Old 07-23-2003, 10:49 AM   #19

I'm very sorry Floy!

I apologize for bending your gender. I'm trying to figure out how that
happened:

1. my subconscious mind made a connection between Floyd and Floy.
2. I'm a complete sexist and assume male unless otherwise.

Lesson learned. Sorry!

Ron

ps Your most elegantly phrased correction speaks volumes of
the charms to be found by visiting your land! Where else in North
America do they still use English so eloquently?

Old 07-23-2003, 05:15 PM   #20

Thanks for the book recomendation, Ron. I've read A Labrador Doctor by Wilfred Grenfell. Written about 1920 it has held up amazingly well. Also The Curse of the Red Cross Ring by Earl Pilgrim. A ripping yarn. A recently written story about a murder in the St. Anthony area about 1920. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the one you enjoyed.