Newfoundland Trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello all....

I'm considering a trip to Newfoundland starting sometime in the last two weeks of August and overflowing into the first 2 or 3 weeks of September. Before committing to such a trip though, I'd like to see some comments from others that have been there during August to early October. Any comments as to whether or not such a trip would be worthwhile would also be appreciated. I don't have a trailer anymore but I DO have a FIBERGLASS cap on my truck.....this is my camping outfit now. Thanks.....Russell
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Surfside
Will,

I can't comment too much on the weather, but I should think August will still be OK. But the scenery and people are amazing.

Jason, M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Black flies should be gone that late in Summer. Great place to visit -- Be sure to get province tourist guide as it lists the campgrounds in detail. Great people also!!!

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
We never did quite make it to Newfoundland but several trips to Nova Scotia during September. Seems like it tends to rain at that time of year there but we were on motorcycles so that tends to be more memorable. What I remember is that I always want to go at that time after school is back in. Much more enjoyable since we stop when we want and don't worry about the crowds. Sounds like a great trip to me. Sure wish I was going.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
You are doing a trip we had planned in 2002, but cancelled due to family issues. We will do it at some time. My main comment is don't forget to reserve the ferries, waiting in line is not the best. CHeck here:

http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/

What we had planned was from North Sydney to Argentia overnight, then around Newfoundland and coming back from Port Aux Basques to North Sydney. Enjoy; I'm already jealous!

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Surfside
YES!! Book those crossings for sure!
Jason, M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #7

Be sure to book the crossings -- You can easily change them once you are in the computer -- Be advised that in the off-season, only the Argentia crossing operates, so take the PAB over in case you want to stay longer.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Hi,

If you haven't left yet, some timely advice; we returned from Newfoundland yesterday!

Not knowing where we would be whenever, in both directions North Sydney - Port au Basques, we called 2 days in advance and were told "nothing is available for a week". Yikes!

By standing by on a waitlist from about 19:00, northbound we were #19, got up to #6 when the 23:30 sailed. We made it onto a completely filled "extra" at 03:30.

Southbound we dawdled at a bend in the road with sheer mountains on the left and a lovely seascape on the right to purposely miss the 19:30 sailing which would have put us into North Sydney about 02:00. When we pulled in about 20:00 the ship hadn't yet sailed. We paid our fare and made it to #5 before she filled up and left. Good for us and our plans!

It was kind of fun, lighting up the gas 'fridge and then going to bed to await the next ferry at 01:30. All on the waitlist made it onboard this time with space for about 10 more. After a leisurely breakfast we arrived about 08:00, a decent hour.

Newfoundland and her people were great. This time we "did" the Northern Peninsula, 700 km up to St. Anthony and l'Anse aux Meadows. Weather was cool at night (10 c) but sunny and ideal for hiking.
We'll do a fuller report after unpacking and catching up on the bills, etc.

Des & Diane
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #9

It looks like this trip is 95% GO. Unless something untoward occurs, I expect to leave sometime before August 22. Thanks to all that replied to my initial query, I appreciate the responses. Soon to hit the road again, thank goodness.

Russell
Old 08-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #10

Quote:
in the off-season, only the Argentia crossing operates, so take the PAB over in case you want to stay longer.
Pete What's the "PAB"????

Russell
Old 08-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Pete What's the "PAB"????

Russell
PAB is the Port Aux Basques ferry terminal
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #12

Of course.....what was I thinking????
Old 08-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #13

PAB is the longer run (about 12 hours) and is the one open only for the season.

The one thing that I don't like about the ferry is that they now won't let you sleep on the inside or outside decks, just in the chairs or the benches; at the same time they really don't provide enough sleeping compartments or bunk rooms, so one has to book early to get sleeping.

More or less the same problem exists on all ferries, like the one to Alaska -- It irks me no end to have my home and comfortable bed right down there a deck or three and not be able to use it...

I usually find a gas station - eatery near the port when I disembark, park and take a nap -- The Newfs are cool about stuf like that.

I recall one "mainlander" from Toronto with a big 5W remarking "I'd bet if I just pulled up on some Newf's front lawn and started unhitching within a few minutes he'd come out with an extension cord in hand, remarking that the wife had just put the tea kettle on". I've traveled a lot and lived in some moderately strange places and my experience is that the Newfs are the friendliest folks I've met, and they even speak English (altho most of the other Canadians may deny that!) -- I had no trouble understanding them, but that may be because I spent a few years in New England.

If one wants to get a taste of life with Newfs (Newfie, BTW, is more of a put-down term except when the Newfs themselves use it), I suggest reading "The Shipping News" and the excellent "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float" by Farley Mowat (author of "Never Cry Wolf" which was made into a movie). Mowat is not revered by the Newfs as he painted them in a less than favorable light.

http://www.salon.com/people/bc/1999/...wat/index.html

Newfs have a reputation as party animals and until recently a vacation pastime was to pack up family and friends and RVs and tents and pitch camp in a local rock quarry, enjoying life to the fullest. Sadly, the quarry owners, fearing liability suits, started blocking the entrances with boulder.

In summer, one also sees RVs and campers parked in the open gravel spaces at highway intersections. There are lots of Provincial and private parks, plus the National Parks, esp Gros Morne.
Attached Thumbnails
NF_Ferry_at_Port_Agentia.jpg__Medium_.JPG   NF_Quarry_blocked.jpg__Medium_.JPG  

NF_Elliston_sign.jpg__Medium_.JPG  
Old 08-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #14

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Hey all - just a point of clarification - Port aux Basques is on the west end of Newfoundland, and Argentia is more on the east end - the Port Aux Basques run is four hours or so from North Sydney, and Argentia is 12-15 hours distant from North Sydney, and it is the one that ends off season. Port Aux Basques runs all year round. I would hate to see someone get their wires crossed and miss a ferry or end up somewhere they didn't want to go.

As a side note we toured Gros Morne two years ago and it was beautiful...I would go again in a heartbeat.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:40 AM   #15

Marc, thanks for the head's up and correction -- I had them backwards!

http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/en/sch...crossing.shtml