Next Fourth of July... I'm going somewhere in the NW - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
They started at 8 PM, before it got dark, and went on until after midnight. Almost all illegal in this area, but no enforcement (I never thought I'd wish I was in Fresno in July) and huge displays, horrible noise. Traumatized one of my corgis so much that she bit one of the others badly. Next year I will NOT spend the 4th in this beach community. So I need suggestions as to where to go, should be within a day's drive of Seattle, not Canada, because passports will be required next year. Any ideas?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
When you find a place, let me know! My neighborhood was like a suburb of Bagdad.
One of my greyhounds was seriously freaked out - she spent 6 hours jammed between the tub and toilet in the downstairs bathroom - panting, and shivering like she was in sub-zero weather.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Camping on July 4th is a loser's game - - either get used to the noise, or stay home. If you choose to follow the crowd, don't expect sympathy over crowd noise.

We stay home on major holidays, especially the 4th of July. The yahoos are firing off all night in town, too, but at least the walls of our house are thicker.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I got the impression from Bobbie's post that she was home... unless she "full-times" all summer in her small, molded fiberglass travel trailer!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Well then we are at the root of the problem. She needs to move to St. Paul, MN and stay home next year.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...not Canada, because passports will be required next year. Any ideas?
Yes: get a passport. Sorry, it's so obvious...

I realize getting a passport may not be practical for some people in their particular circumstances, but unless the U.S. government is substantially more incompetent that ours, for normal situations it's not a big deal, even though it takes a while.

Also, the planned requirement for passports by the U.S. has been postponed, and the Canadian government has followed suit. They may well not be required even by next July 4th.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
I got the impression from Bobbie's post that she was home... unless she "full-times" all summer in her small, molded fiberglass travel trailer!
I was at my summer home, which has thin walls and lots of fireworks. Across the street is a beach with expensive homes and people with more money than they know what to do with.

One option is my sister's house in Eastern Washington where fire danger is too high for fireworks- but then you run the risk that some idiot uses them anyway and sets the forest on fire. Maybe Canada isn't such a bad idea after all.

Bobbie
Old 07-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Try on of the National Parks. There's three in Washington State.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:

I realize getting a passport may not be practical for some people in their particular circumstances, but unless the U.S. government is substantially more incompetent that ours, for normal situations it's not a big deal, even though it takes a while.

Also, the planned requirement for passports by the U.S. has been postponed, and the Canadian government has followed suit. They may well not be required even by next July 4th.
They still require that you have applied for one, and it is taking up to 8 months. I guess start now for next year!

Bobbie
Old 07-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Idiots and explosives... a wonderful combination. I stay home on the 4th... I need to protect my home and property because of the fire danger. Two houses burned down last night in Portland... cause... fireworks on the roofs.

I used to have a dog that freaked at loud noises, so the couple of weeks around the 4th of July was a real bunch of fun... then, I started turning on the radio with a lot of bass. That really muffled the "boooming" noises of fireworks and substantially helped my dog. Give it a try.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Donna, it's

DRUNKS, Idiots and explosives... exercising their God-given (albeit illegal) right to blow stuff up.

What a great combination!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Our town has a huge fireworks display at the high school stadium--one block from our house. We always have a large party on the 4th and people bring fireworks to do on the street (they're legal here) before the big display. It is a nightmare for the dog! A tranquilizer from the vet helps, as does a quiet, dark room in the back of the house where she can hide. I've never heard about turning on the radio with a lot of bass. I'll try it next year. Thanks! Okay, back to cleaning up after the party--almost 50 ate BBQ and another 20 passed through at one time or another.

Quote:
Idiots and explosives... a wonderful combination. I stay home on the 4th... I need to protect my home and property because of the fire danger. Two houses burned down last night in Portland... cause... fireworks on the roofs.

I used to have a dog that freaked at loud noises, so the couple of weeks around the 4th of July was a real bunch of fun... then, I started turning on the radio with a lot of bass. That really muffled the "boooming" noises of fireworks and substantially helped my dog. Give it a try.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
They still require that you have applied for one, and it is taking up to 8 months. I guess start now for next year!
Yes. Seriously.

The wait is much shorter here, but it's still not a next-week thing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
We hav a small summer place on Lake Erie. On a clear day we can see Erie Penn. Our neighbours come from both sides of the border and so the festivities last about four to five DAYS. Also there's a couple of rental cottages in the area and these people all want to have fireworks, so we have to contend with them each and every week ALL summer long. By the fall our Jack Russell is a wreck. Thank your lucky stars if the powers that be have banned them in your area.
Now ask about the bonfires on the beach.{ How's your aszma?}
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Take some extra time and come to Alaska Very few people (except for the usual few idiots)on the Kenai Peninsula pop off fireworks here in July - too light and too dangerous. The city of Kenai saves its little fireworks display for the day after Thanksgiving. They also have an electric light parade!
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #16

Trailer: 1991 Bigfoot 17 ft
Quote:

I totally agree with Brian ! Get a passport. We were camping on our long weekend too ( July 1st for us Canucks ) in a beautiful mountain park and EVERYONE in our general area was in bed sound asleep at about 2300 !!!! I'm NOT kinding.

I think the hot sunny days just tucker everybody out or something....

Some of our parks ( the bigger ones, that is ) are tighly patrolled. Rangers driving by randomly after 11 checking out the noise level. There's a 0 tolerance policy that they do inforce....

Just my two cents....

Happy trails Mitch
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #17

Registry
It might be a good idea to get a passport. I'll have to check on what it takes to bring the dogs in, too.

Last night was better but after being shell-shocked on the 4th every bang kept me awake and sent a rush of adrenaline. I haven't even walked out on the beach where all the fireworks trash ends up.

What bugs me most, I think, is that the fireworks here have nothing at all to do with the celebration of independence. They are just a chance to shoot off noisy toys. I like watching things like Capitol Fourth on TV and seeing something that reminds us of what the point of the holiday is. People who complain that Christmas has lost its meaning need to ask themselves, what meaning does the 4th of July have to people?

Okay, done ranting, one more night and maybe I'll have caught up on sleep and not be so grouchy!

Bobbie
Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #18

Trailer: 1991 Bigfoot 17 ft
Quote:
It might be a good idea to get a passport. I'll have to check on what it takes to bring the dogs in, too.

Last night was better but after being shell-shocked on the 4th every bang kept me awake and sent a rush of adrenaline. I haven't even walked out on the beach where all the fireworks trash ends up.

What bugs me most, I think, is that the fireworks here have nothing at all to do with the celebration of independence. They are just a chance to shoot off noisy toys. I like watching things like Capitol Fourth on TV and seeing something that reminds us of what the point of the holiday is. People who complain that Christmas has lost its meaning need to ask themselves, what meaning does the 4th of July have to people?

Okay, done ranting, one more night and maybe I'll have caught up on sleep and not be so grouchy!

Bobbie
I understand completely !!!

"I haven't even walked out on the beach where all the fireworks trash ends up.

What bugs me most, I think, is that the fireworks here have nothing at all to do with the celebration of independence."

Get yourself a trash bag and some gloves and head down to the beach , I say.

The planet will thank you for it and you'll be feeling mighty proud !!!

It might make you tired enough so that you'll just fall asleep when your done !

Have a great day ! Mitch
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #19

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Fireworks are illegal here in Jersey but not next door in Pennsylvania. Natcherly, Jersey guys just drive over the Delaware River for their bag. In the weeks leading up to the 4th I noticed at least two detailed newspaper articles on this, naming dealers and locations, but also with reminders about the Jersey fireworks laws. Got me wondering... why the free advertising?

This year, what everyone didn't know was the NJ state police was watching on both sides of the border. Those coppers knew which cars to pull over on the way back! HOOO.

Of course, that really didn't stop what has become an epidemic. Still plenty of booms and blasts, shrieks and squeels going late into the nights all around our house, right up to last night. We're only 15 miles from the border.

Our dog goes nuts enough with every volley to keep me from hearing the most pertinent sentances on the History channel. It's a drag, but what-cha-gonna-do?
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
According to a US State Dept site, it is 10-12 WEEKS for a routine application at an acceptance facility or 2-3 WEEKS by mail on an expedited basis, so there's plenty of time before the next July Fourth.

Also, Washington has something going that may allow a special driver's license to meet the ID requirements for CA-US crossings. See this..

Also, consider Cuba, where they have a fourth of July without fireworks...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote