Nice deal on a good basic GPS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2008, 01:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I'm a cheapskate who likes expensive stuff. Fortunately I'm also a patient cheapskate who waits until prices come down. The months after Christmas, when all the Christmas goodies get returned to the manufacturer and excess inventory is sold off, are great time to bargain shop for "refurbished" goodies at half price or less.

Right now Buy.com (and several other online retailers) have the $300+ Garmin StreetPilot C320 on sale for $130.00 after a $20 rebate coupon. The C320 is an everything-you-need, nothing-you-don't GPS that guides you from wherever you are to wherever you want to go, has a built-in basemap of North America that includes a database of gas stations, parks, restaurants, etc, and allows you to enter hundreds of your own destinations to the database. It's very easy to use.

When driving it verbally tells you what side of the street/freeway you need to be on for your next turn, how far that turn is from your current location, and recalculates a new route to your destination when you miss a turn. You can also program in a side-trip to an attraction or have it guide you to a gas station while en-route.

Things it does not do: It does not call out street names or allow you to plan out a trip wth multiple stops along the way. (Something fancier units do.) It does not play MPEG music files or hook up to a backup camera or do anything else that isn't GPS/Navigation specific. It can be moved from car to car, runs off a cigarette lighter adapter and has its own 6-hour battery, but it is too bulky and lacks the features needed to be used as a hiking GPS. It's not waterproof, either, so no good for a motorcycle.

In other words, it's a useful tool for a cheapskate with a poor sense of direction hauling a trailer around.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 2000 4Runner Lmtd
I am definitely not an early adopter of most anything electronic since the day in the early '80's when I spent $450 for a Wired 4 Function Remote VCR. I have learned to be patient and get more bang for the buck.
You missed the Pre-Christmas Thanksgiving sale at Wal-Mart. They had the Garmin c330 for $128.00. I own or have owned the Garmin i3, c320, c330, and c340. It does help to upgrade to the c340 with the upcoming street announcement. Much safer when driving. I also own the Garmin handheld 76S for geocaching and hiking. Now I'm waiting on a good sale or for prices to come down to get the *COLOR" 76CS.

Happy Trails!

SS
sherri s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I purchased a refurbished Pioneer unit last year from www.refurbdepot.com and tacked on a 3 year warranty for a total cost of $150 + $50 ($200).

Now this year there are all sorts of new units for $150 and less. According to the news, the next 30 days is the time to purchase these items and HD TVs, etc because the retailers have a surplus due to the poor holiday sales season.

The only thing I would be weary of is one that has an internal hard drive. I wanted a total solid state unit because of rough treatment, a hard drive unit might not survive.

NOTE: Myne works well provided I per Program it before a journy. I had it set on major highways the other day instead of side roads (Quickest) and it took me several miles out of the way. It still got me to where I wanted to go though.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I got a streetpilot c330 last thanksgiving. IMHO I have almost paid for it in gas savings.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2005
Buy.com has a "reconditioned" Garmin StreetPilot c550 GPS Navigation System with Bluetooth for $179.99 and free shipping.

Harold
Old 02-26-2008, 12:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I love my Thanksgiving deal C330. I am sad that Garmin want's $70 to update the maps though.

-Kyle
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I got my C330 Walmart deal in Tennessee after being hopelessly lost on some back roads for about an hour (pretty ride though).
( no, ladies, there WAS no one to ask)
I think it's great and my wife loves it. She uses it all the time to get between stores when they ask her to help out at another store she has never been to before.
She likes the fact that it recalculates the trip if you have to jump off the expressway because of traffic jams.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
might be good to have a paper map in the glove box. funny story here. GPS Sends Drivers to Road Block.
link here
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
My C330 today led me astray. Took me about 1 mile past the resturant I was going to. This was looked up by name rather than address...

bummer...

-Kyle
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote