No A/C ... Deal breaker? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
Name: Dave (AKA John)
Trailer: Scamp
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
When I was growing up in Illinois where the humidity and heat are awful, I spent 18 whole summers without AC. When my dad grew up he spent 10 whole summers without electricity.

Times sure have changed ! I often wonder what it would be like to have lived in the Southwest in the summer 100 or more years ago.
People were shorter back then, so they weren't as close to the sun as they are these days. Can you imagine having a fiberglass camper back in those days, wonder how much "horse"-power you would need to pull it?

Dave (AKA John) and Marilyn
Sharpsburg, GA
04 Dodge Dakota Quad cab 4.7 (primary TV)
08 Subaru Outback 2.5 (alternate TV)
Radar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #16
Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
For myself air is a must, the Okanagan is where I spend most of my time and its far to hot to not have air conditioning.

I did buy and add air conditioning, just weight the cost of adding if you feel the need.
At home in Vancouver I don't need it.

Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #17
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
There are so many threads that ask basically the same question, i.e., "should we get a/c", "what about resale value", etc.

Personally I wouldn't worry about things like resale. I'd simply ask if it's needed where and when you intend to camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #18
Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
I installed a mobile ac/heat/dehumidifier unit in my closet that I picked up off kijiji for 60$. Works like a charm.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #19
Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16

I spend little time in the camper except to sleep and to get out of the rain. There have been times however that it has come in very handy. If you are out alone or even with a group of people and you or someone else doesn't feel well you can just go in, get cool and maybe get a cold drink and get some relief from the heat. Sometimes in a hot and muggy downpour you can chill out and wait the storm out in comfort. Two weeks ago I was going through The DC beltway in 98 deg heat in bumper to bumper traffic. I pulled off in the rest area, fired up the generator (tongue mounted), Had some lunch and stayed nice and cool while the traffic cleared out. Seldom do I use it, but when I need it it's there.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #20
Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Trying to convince myself when its 90 deg that I don't need A/C doesn't work for me.
Trying to convince myself that saving money on a campsite without electricity on a 90 deg
day doesn't work for me either, If going camping means I have to be miserable, then I would rather stay home. If I wanted to camp without A/C , I would still be camping in a tent .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #21
Name: Warren
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Thanks for all the replies folks!
Yes we are in BC, but there are many places and times in BC where it can get uncomfortably hot. Our place in the Cariboo is in the high 80's this week. And it can get much hotter. But we also plan to go places that could potentially be quite warm, so I think we will want it.

popcan is offline   Reply With Quote