NO Satellite TV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My wife has been watching Netflix like crazy since we subscribed less than 2 months ago. Last night we watched "Get the Gringo" with Mel Gibson. Norm, I bet you would like this movie, it was pretty intriguing.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #22

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Norm and Raz, thanks for the data usage figures. I had no idea what to expect. We've had 2 Gigs on our plan, but never came close to using it because we're online at home with Wi-Fi. Since retiring and plans to hit the road next year, I opted for 3 Gigs thinking that would be plenty. Now it sounds like it will cover the email and occasional surfing, but it won't go far with TV usage. If we find we need more, Verizon is always there to upgrade our plan.

Myron, we both watch a fair amount of TV at home, but that's more out of boredom than anything. Our TV use sounds similar to Tim's. I put a TV/DVD combo in the Scamp for rainy day use. When we're camping, we don't miss the TV at all. We do have a box of movies (DVDs) we're saving for rainy days. My wife and I both like to listen to Old Time Radio shows. I found out our TV/DVD combo also handles those MP3 files on CDs, as well as music CDs. We also have those loaded in our smart phones. Like you, I held off on all this technology. With that said, I'm always finding new ways to use our iPhones. You can find and make camp ground reservations, get email, text messages, listen to thousands of radio stations, use it as a GPS, read ebooks, surf the internet, find cheap gas, good food, and a hundred other uses, not to mention following and posting on this forum! One word of caution. Keep your typewriter. It may come in handy when SHTF!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I am so far behind with the tech stuff. I made my Scamp cable ready but i did not go for an antenna, i should have. I need to get a TV and DVD for it yet and figure how to mount it. We rent from Redbox when ever we want a movie. I read all about this stuff and i wonder how the heck am i gonna figure all this out. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Mary and Bob,

It now covers the whole campground. They have a tower on the bath house. Works great.

We're on site 10. There are Scamp owners on site 40.

We leave for my 50th reunion in Charleston on Wed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #25

Florida
Weather's returning to normal 70s.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #26

Name: Tom
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I am so far behind with the tech stuff. I made my Scamp cable ready but i did not go for an antenna, i should have. I need to get a TV and DVD for it yet and figure how to mount it. We rent from Redbox when ever we want a movie. I read all about this stuff and i wonder how the heck am i gonna figure all this out. Carl

Carl, this is the TV/DVD combo and the mount I bought, and how I installed it. It works very well. You can extend it out to see in any area in the trailer. The TV has a 12V DC cord and a 110 AC cord. Hope this helps. Link:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...all-66555.html

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #27

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Norm, Great news on the wifi, especially when we want to use it at night or during cold & nasty weather. I just had my 50th high school reunion, I'm guessing yours is a college reunion?? A comment here on the Verizon Jetpack, we use it while on the road, I'll be driving and Mary will get out her iPad and check email, Facebook, look up campgrounds or anything else, make reservations, anything we would do on our home computer. We have never used more than half of the allowable time. For free wifi you can find it lots of places, McDonalds & Burger King, Paneras, car dealers, many restaurants. Some require a password, some not. Burger King put the password on the receipt. Sorry for getting off topic here.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #28

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Most of the places we camp do Not have cable or good WiFi.Like others here we read a lot or play games on our phones or pads. We do like to watch movies( DVD's) if the weather turns bad on us.We have quite a collection of movies that stay in the camper,we just don't watch movies( DVD's) at home. Our local library has a great collection of DVD movies you can check out,with your library card,for a week.Sometimes we do that.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #29

Florida
Mary and Bob,

I don't think that's off line (no pun). We use store and library internet, particularly in NL. We never have our hotspot on while driving, partially because our smart phones can handle most everything and 4G or at least 3G seems to be most every where, Ginny uses her phone as we drive for routes, camping, ....

Lynn,
For those of us on the road all the time, checking things out from libraries is difficult, since libraries are local. However if you're in a single place for a while you can sometimes get a card. We have in FL.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #30

Florida
Everyday

The magic of life is you can learn something everyday.

I know this might seem trivial but.... someone told us to try the series Arrow on the Netflix and we did. We learned that you can watch the entire series in one day if you chose, all without commercials. A real improvement because Arrow has a story with in a story. Watching it this way doesn't take a lifetime to unfold.

I know it's a small team but for those of us with limited time, it's a gain.

Last night we began watching MNF on Watch ESPN thru our TV. Of course we feel asleep before the first quarter was over. We are sleeping more and more comfortably. Loving the road, still.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #31

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
That's great news about the wifi at Huntington Beach. Love that place! Having little ones, we have to have some entertainment. Rainy days in a 13ft would be tough without it. We use over the back of the seat DVD players for the drive. They aren't on all the time but they can be moved into the camper and plugged in to keep the kids quiet in the mornings. (little ones are ready to barge out yelling at 7am so I use the tech to benefit our fellow campers)

I'm a remote employee for my company. As such I work from the road and home. When I'm on the road, I use my Samsung phone for internet. One of the great things I've loved about them for years is that you can use them as a wifi hotspot without having to buy a separate device. So that's what I do. I work from my laptop through my 10GB data plan on my phone. (though I'd encourage you to keep the phone plugged into a charger or it will drain your battery faster than normal) I never use that much yet. I don't watch tv online much though we have while camping watched a show on her Kindle or my laptop. I do frequently do video conferencing through it though without issue. I'm on AT&T and while sometimes don't have good signal in really rural areas, for the most part it works fine for us.

So if your phone will do the wifi access point, you may not need another device.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #32

Florida
Sean,

Our phones can be used as 4G hotspots. I ran a rest on 4G at the park and it was 20Mb, really fast. The reason we've kept our 3G hotspot is that when we bought it you could get an unlimited plan so we kept it. In the last 6 months we had a 22Gig month and that was before Netflix and watch ESPN.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16