NO Satellite TV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
What we have found with the Jet Pack is that if we both are using it, me on my MacBook Air laptop and Mary on her ipad it slows down the speed so much that one of us will usually go off until the other is done. Some places we go have cable TV hook up, and for those that don't we have a antenna for broadcast channels. We do watch too much TV but there are some shows we follow and the rest is mindless entertainment for when we are not reading. Picking up our new to us Casita in a few days so have to figure out the TV situation plus all the other systems.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ginny and I each have a Samsung smartphone. If you have a good smartphone in short order you'll be able to text, email, read the news, books, check weather, do virtually anything you can do on a laptop, oh yes and make phone calls. It's our emergency flashlight, serves as our camera, night light, night clock, Alarm, radio, notepad,... It's just amazing.

A good smartphone is a little expensive but consider all the things it can replace.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #17

Florida
Timber Wolf.

Netflix is amazing and the same for other movie services some of which are free.

Netflix cost $7.99 a month and you can watch unlimited movies one at a time all month.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #18

Florida
Mary and Bob, wishing you much happiness with your Casita, we used our son's for a year and enjoyed it.

I'm sure our service slows down with users but we often have 4 people on it at a time during the summer and have never noticed it slow down.

Our Hotspot is Verizon and I noticed the speed at Huntington is about 1/3rd of Myrtle Beach. Of course local conditions, typically the local tower or number of users can have an effect.

Here at Huntington we're using their WiFi along with many others and notice nothing, using it for TV right now.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #19

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I cancelled my Millenicom Jetpack and expanded my AT&T plan with a new mifi type device to go with my iPhone. I went with 40GB shared plan for $200. It comes with unlimited talk and text FWIW.

I stream a lot of youtube and such, so I'm hoping that's enough if I want to through in the occasional Netflix. I'm sure if a bunch of people are doing it at a campground, it will slow down to a crawl on that cell. I've been using LTE for awhile now and it's pretty impressive. Much better than the standard 4G. Believe the national rollout is now complete, so LTE is everywhere.

One trick to get the most out of your data plan - don't play your videos at the highest setting - just wasteful of your data bits to stream at 720p or higher - especially on a small screen. Often I manually select and turn off the auto modes.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Norm; we have reservations at Huntington starting the 25th of this month, 4 nights, then two nights at Hunting Island. We usually try for site 8 at Huntington but had to take 6 this time. Aren't those bathrooms just fantastic. Wifi there is good but would like it to cover the campground, not just at the store. How's the weather?
Old 11-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
My wife has been watching Netflix like crazy since we subscribed less than 2 months ago. Last night we watched "Get the Gringo" with Mel Gibson. Norm, I bet you would like this movie, it was pretty intriguing.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #22

Name: Tom
Michigan
Norm and Raz, thanks for the data usage figures. I had no idea what to expect. We've had 2 Gigs on our plan, but never came close to using it because we're online at home with Wi-Fi. Since retiring and plans to hit the road next year, I opted for 3 Gigs thinking that would be plenty. Now it sounds like it will cover the email and occasional surfing, but it won't go far with TV usage. If we find we need more, Verizon is always there to upgrade our plan.

Myron, we both watch a fair amount of TV at home, but that's more out of boredom than anything. Our TV use sounds similar to Tim's. I put a TV/DVD combo in the Scamp for rainy day use. When we're camping, we don't miss the TV at all. We do have a box of movies (DVDs) we're saving for rainy days. My wife and I both like to listen to Old Time Radio shows. I found out our TV/DVD combo also handles those MP3 files on CDs, as well as music CDs. We also have those loaded in our smart phones. Like you, I held off on all this technology. With that said, I'm always finding new ways to use our iPhones. You can find and make camp ground reservations, get email, text messages, listen to thousands of radio stations, use it as a GPS, read ebooks, surf the internet, find cheap gas, good food, and a hundred other uses, not to mention following and posting on this forum! One word of caution. Keep your typewriter. It may come in handy when SHTF!

Tom
Old 11-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I am so far behind with the tech stuff. I made my Scamp cable ready but i did not go for an antenna, i should have. I need to get a TV and DVD for it yet and figure how to mount it. We rent from Redbox when ever we want a movie. I read all about this stuff and i wonder how the heck am i gonna figure all this out. Carl
Old 11-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #24

Florida
Mary and Bob,

It now covers the whole campground. They have a tower on the bath house. Works great.

We're on site 10. There are Scamp owners on site 40.

We leave for my 50th reunion in Charleston on Wed.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #25

Florida
Weather's returning to normal 70s.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #26

Name: Tom
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I am so far behind with the tech stuff. I made my Scamp cable ready but i did not go for an antenna, i should have. I need to get a TV and DVD for it yet and figure how to mount it. We rent from Redbox when ever we want a movie. I read all about this stuff and i wonder how the heck am i gonna figure all this out. Carl

Carl, this is the TV/DVD combo and the mount I bought, and how I installed it. It works very well. You can extend it out to see in any area in the trailer. The TV has a 12V DC cord and a 110 AC cord. Hope this helps. Link:

TV / DVD Combo Install

Tom
Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #27

New York
Norm, Great news on the wifi, especially when we want to use it at night or during cold & nasty weather. I just had my 50th high school reunion, I'm guessing yours is a college reunion?? A comment here on the Verizon Jetpack, we use it while on the road, I'll be driving and Mary will get out her iPad and check email, Facebook, look up campgrounds or anything else, make reservations, anything we would do on our home computer. We have never used more than half of the allowable time. For free wifi you can find it lots of places, McDonalds & Burger King, Paneras, car dealers, many restaurants. Some require a password, some not. Burger King put the password on the receipt. Sorry for getting off topic here.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #28

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Most of the places we camp do Not have cable or good WiFi.Like others here we read a lot or play games on our phones or pads. We do like to watch movies( DVD's) if the weather turns bad on us.We have quite a collection of movies that stay in the camper,we just don't watch movies( DVD's) at home. Our local library has a great collection of DVD movies you can check out,with your library card,for a week.Sometimes we do that.