no stove? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape 19
Georgia
no stove?

New to rving and have just discovered the LIL Snoozy. I was very impressed with the design and light weight since I have a midsize truck. But the thought has just struck me, other then a microwave how do you heat up a meal?Do folks use hotplates?
PAB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Hot plates when connected to 110 volts, and perhaps a coleman portable propane stove when not. I am seriously looking at Lil Snoozy but will have propane equipment ready option added for stovetop, water heater/furnace. I also would like the Hehr double pane windows in the crank-out style in place of the single pane sliders.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Are those options available from Lil Snoozy?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
They are very flexible with building what you want.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
They come with dual plate hot plate.
They will pre-plumb for propane, or did.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We bought our EggCamper all electric and, after last winter, had a propane furnace & cooktop added locally. All electric is unusable in cold weather without any place to plug in. Going south last winter we had to do motels the first three nights until we could find open campgrounds. With propane you have the option to use it or not.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #7

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I was not worried about all electric until we stayed in sub 20F last thanksgiving. The heater was barely able to keep it livable and definitely not comfortable. And the hot plate quit so i think it is forcing our hand on installing gas appliances.

The plan is being pushed forward for stove and furnace, but water heater is being bumped down the list. We ended up using the camp ground facilities instead of squeezing into our shower and the electric heater kept up with dish washing etc.

We ended up using the microwave and our toaster oven/coffee maker combo for most of our meals. Not ideal but it worked out. We have a gas camp oven, but that's not going to work with the cold outside temps. And it is a little bulky for our situation.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My Casita is working great right now for deer season using only electric at a campground. 14 deg and snow so no water but with 2 electric heaters and a microwave I'm a happy camper. Sept-November, when its 40-60deg, I boon dock at the farm with battery, gas water heater, furnace, and stove.

I really like the Egg Campers, so much that I plan to road trip to Michigan this week to look at them. I do believe the lack of gas appliances could eventually be a deal breaker.
Mike Kempin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #9

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
We have an electric skillet, and a single burner hot plate, along with the microwave.
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
In our Scamp we use our New Wave oven it works great and can make most anything. We took a chance buying from an infomerical but the thing works great. Easier to buy from the new wave site. We bought the large one for home and the small free one travels with us unless we are planning big and take the large one. No mess or stink inside the trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Even though we have a gas range DW doesn't like gas. We use an electric tea kettle for heating water. At first we used a regular hot plate but it was slow to heat the pan and you did not have a lot of control over the heat. We bought an induction hot plate and we really like it. It heats up fast and you can really control the heat. Just like cooking on gas but without the flame. One note, you have to have a pan with a iron or steel bottom to work with the induction range. You can find stainless pans with molded in steel bottoms which we use. A lot of times the induction hot plates come with their own pans.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
and for only $79 you can get 2, just pay additional shipping and handling…..
Old 12-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You can do an awful lot of cooking with an electric fry pan. Nice in the summer to keep the heat of cooking outdoors, in bad weather it works ok inside. It's a nice "one pot" to clean and store solution.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #14

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We consider our time using the camper as 'camping'. We covered over the sink and stove top which created a nice wide shelf. We carry water from the campground tap and cook on the picnic table with a propane Coleman stove. Dishwater warms while we eat. Everyone finds what works for them. Important to us is the 3-way fridge and the furnace!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just don't fall into the trap about resale value. It's your trailer, build it or buy it or use it exactly as you need. It's more about YOU and less about US or THEM. For every single post I read about someone never wanting to buy a trailer without all the propane stuff, there's someone that says they "always" cook outside and use a cube heater.

How do you cook in your sticks 'n bricks home? On a propane or gas stove? Why should it be any different in a trailer? Ya gotta eat!!

Your choice, your decision. Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I agree, build your trailer for your style of camping, not the next guys. Figure out what works best for you, and go for it.

One of the biggest difference for us cooking while camping, as compared to home, is that we have no 120V electricity for the majority of our nights out, and this is reflected in how we cook, as the only electrical appliance we carry is a small kettle to heat water faster for our coffee. Though, it rarely seems to get used, and we are considering dropping it too.

While there are lots of good ways to cook with electric appliances, we have opted to have zero reliance on electricity. There are sooooo many things to cook, and ways of doing so with what we use, a stove, a BBQ and a campfire, that in a lifetime we would never be able to cook everything we might like too. Of course, this is true with any method of cooking.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I agree, build your trailer for your style of camping, not the next guys. Figure out what works best for you, and go for it.

One of the biggest difference for us cooking while camping, as compared to home, is that we have no 120V electricity for the majority of our nights out, and this is reflected in how we cook, as the only electrical appliance we carry is a small kettle to heat water faster for our coffee. Though, it rarely seems to get used, and we are considering dropping it too.

While there are lots of good ways to cook with electric appliances, we have opted to have zero reliance on electricity. There are sooooo many things to cook, and ways of doing so with what we use, a stove, a BBQ and a campfire, that in a lifetime we would never be able to cook everything we might like too. Of course, this is true with any method of cooking.
I've ditched all 120 volt stuff, except for printer.
Cooking can be work, fun, or just cooking. Most of our cooking while camping is inside the trailer on the propane cook surface. It fun to experiment with cast iron, dutch ovens and pie irons. Heat sources for the cast iron can be charcoal, campfire, or one of two camp stoves. In the good old summer time we often cook at the picnic table with a Coleman or MSR stove. If we have guests that we're cooking for, it's almost always outside.

However you manage, I hope you have much fun as we've had. (just a bit over 2 weeks and we're off).
Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #18

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I have my 2 burner propane stove, can fire up the generator for the microwave. I also have a rocket stove I bring sometimes for cooking anything that splatters to do outside.

I have contemplated the NuWave... I have friends who have one at home and they love it...not sure how large the smaller one is and I don't eat very much any more since my gastric surgery... hence the losing 100lbs lol.

I do like the idea of baking muffins in the morning while camping. A muffin with butter and jam goes great for breakfast and never better then fresh made....and I bet someone would be more then willing to take the other 5 off my hands lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I have my 2 burner propane stove, can fire up the generator for the microwave. I also have a rocket stove I bring sometimes for cooking anything that splatters to do outside.

I have contemplated the NuWave... I have friends who have one at home and they love it...not sure how large the smaller one is and I don't eat very much any more since my gastric surgery... hence the losing 100lbs lol.

I do like the idea of baking muffins in the morning while camping. A muffin with butter and jam goes great for breakfast and never better then fresh made....and I bet someone would be more then willing to take the other 5 off my hands lol.
Deryk,
The small New Wave would fit your Bill. It’s rack size is close to a standard sheet of paper. It makes the best bacon since it doesn’t fry submerged in its own fat. You can cook it soft to very well done without burning it. Typical for the 2 of us is cooking 6 strips of bacon on the rack. The lower pan we line with foil for easy clean-up. Then we take out the foil with the bacon grease. Next up Pillsbury biscuits from the tube plop them on the rack and cook 6 minutes and flip over and cook 6 minutes more. Butter jam or what ever and breakfast is done. Want biscuits and gravy drain most of the bacon fat out of the foil liner and put in your gravy into the foil liner mix the bacon drippings in the gravy mix and leave it in the New Wave when cooking your biscuits heats the gravy at the same time. Works with sausage too.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would add a plus one for what Donna said. Go with what works for you. In original post you said you were new to RV camping but not if you already camp and are just switching to RV instead of tent.

Some of us have a large collection of camping equipment from tent or backpacking days that we just continue to use. With routines for cooking outside on a camp stove, grill or campfire. Does mean we haul a bit more gear but it's what we like so it's what we do.

Ability to run fridge, stove and heater on propane, while using a battery for lights or small electric appliances does allow one to be more comfortable for a weekend in a rustic campground or night in a walmart parking lot while traveling. Propane is a system that requires some minor maintenance, and propane fridge is more expensive to replace than a regular electric fridge. Also a bit more fussy about the trailer being level than regular fridge.

However some folks don't want to do those things and all electric saves them weight (propane tank, battery) and allows them to do camping with the same tools and techniques they use at home.

If you haul a generator and gas forget the weight savings and the use of generator may not be allowed or welcome in some locations. NOT bashing generators or those that use them, just pointing out there are constraints to where they are viable. If you want to camp in those locations take that into account.

Propane stove, fridge and heater are by far the more common configuration, thus the one most people expect to find. All electric might not be quite as easy to re-sell but you are best off buying what YOU want to use. You sell it once, you hopefully use the camper many times.

I'm in the camp stove and campfire cooking group, my sister considers it bad if the campground only has 30 amp electric and she only has a campfire when camping with us. Wife does not generally want to go camping if we even need to have a heater. I have been known to tent camp in Winter. Different strokes for different folks.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote