no trouble with mountains! (well east coast mts) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
no trouble with mountains! (well east coast mts)

etta and i went up to the mt house to empty it. on the way up it was like i wasnt pulling anything. on the way back it was windy and i had a pretty heavy load. i knew i was pulling on the bigger grades...no real problems tho. i really like the anti sway. i think its gonna work out fine for me. thanks again to all of you for helping me along.
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
The best "test" for mountains is the south entrance to Ricketts Glen State Park in PA. The hill between Red Rock & the park is 2 miles of 18% grade. Sure slowed down the RAV4 far more than anything I found out west!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
The hill between Red Rock & the park is 2 miles of 18% grade. Sure slowed down the RAV4 far more than anything I found out west!
Yes, that's steeper than anything that I have encountered out here... although short.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #4

Registry
The worst pull I've done in the west was going over the approach to the Eisenhower Tunnel going west in CO. No where near as steep, but it went on forever. I also found the Teton Pass highway going out of Jackson, Wy interesting...

Back to KAYAK's pull, glad things are working out for you!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: Airstream 23D International Serenity
Texas
[QUOTE=Jon Vermilye;392294]<<< snip >>>. I also found the Teton Pass highway going out of Jackson, Wy interesting...

<<< snip >>>QUOTE]

Yep, that one is - as you say - "interesting"... and not in a particularly good way!

R
Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Is that Chief Joseph highway in wyoming?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #7

Registry
No, but both Chief Joseph & the Beartooth are beautiful drives. Don't remember what the "pull" is like on Chief Joseph - the last time I drove it was in a van without a trailer.

Teton Pass Drive is highway 22 heading west starting south of Jackson.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool A long pull

One of my favorites is going west on I-90 from Vantage, WA on the Columbia River, (about 500' elevation according to our GPS) to Ryegrass Ridge, 2536' in about 10 miles. That works out to an average 4% grade.

I remember when we first moved here, I had a 1977 6 cyl, 3 spd, Jeep Cherokee pulling a 2800# sailboat. I had to stay in 2nd gear the whole time going a maximum of 35 mph. It was the worst grade all the way from Wisconsin.

The Subaru pulls Homelet fine in 3rd or 4th.

The worst I have encountered was going east of the Highway 6 intersection up Crow's Nest Highway 3 on the road to Creston. (I can't discover the name of the pass). Pulling Homelet, we could only maintain about 32 mph.
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC1853.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #9

Registry
Another neat Washington state climb is the Mount Baker Highway, state highway 542. Starting at mile 47 it gains 3000' in 7 miles.

I didn't tow the trailer, but did drive to the top on July 27th, 2012. Still snow near the top, and so much fog that I didn't get to see my objective - the view from Artist's Point. There are a couple of nice Forest Service campgrounds before you get to the "hill" at the end.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Another neat Washington state climb is the Mount Baker Highway, state highway 542. Starting at mile 47 it gains 3000' in 7 miles.

I didn't tow the trailer, but did drive to the top on July 27th, 2012. Still snow near the top, and so much fog that I didn't get to see my objective - the view from Artist's Point. There are a couple of nice Forest Service campgrounds before you get to the "hill" at the end.
Wow, John. That is a 12% grade!

One of the worst I have ever seen is in West Seattle, on Charleston between 46th and 47th. As you approach from the east, you think you are driving off a cliff. Of course this is a city street. They do have a sign warning trucks "10 mph" with a rumble strip.

Another that used to exist was, I think, 19th st east of Clybourn in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. That was one steep block, but I think the freeway has eliminated it.

Either one of these it would be very easy to go airborne if you come on them too fast.

The SAE J2807 specifies the "Davis Dam road"

That Dam Towing Test: New SAE Trailering Standards Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

Anyone familiar with this grade?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I remember driving in San Francisco and thinking brake and transmission repairs would be the best business in the area!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I loved the mountain roads with the suicide off ramps for out of control vehicles.
Of course, that was over 40 years ago in not so fancy 18-wheelers.

Along with those truck driving 8-track tapes...........LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We have a number of those "suicide ramps" in some of the mountains of Oregon... but they're really "run away ramps." You DON'T want to go there, the gravel is feet deep and you'll not only get stopped, but you'll get stuck past the axles and have to be towed out (and probably get an OSP fine). But thank goodness they are available to those that NEED them.. hot brakes, no brakes!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote