Non-Cabover Fiberglass Pickup Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2007, 01:00 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Someone was asking about something like this the other day and I just stumbled across it on another forum:

http://www.cargobody.com/camperfloorpln.htm
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:02 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Someone was asking about something like this the other day and I just stumbled across it on another forum:

Very cool looking camper but by the looks you would have to be the Hunch Back of Notre Dame to be able to do anything in there but sleep and even that may be a problem for more then one person.
I use to have a cool truck way back when I was a teenager that had sort of a bed in the back and all we did was sleep (hmmm and other things, I can almost remember , that teenages do too ) in it and keep everything dry and cooked mostley outside on camp stove.
Not too much like what we do now with Lady-bug our 13ft Boler.
But still it is a cool looking thing.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You'd have to sleep in the fetal position too. The overhang would have to be about a foot on each side to sleep halfway comfortably side-to-side.

But we know trailers aren't for everyone and this may be just the ticket for those folks
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:30 AM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
UHaul apparently produced this for some period of time. I thought it was pretty interesting, although never got the opportunity to talk with the folks who had it mounted. Because it has no windows, I presume it to be merely a topper though, rather than a camper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Uhaul_topper.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	6261

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:52 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Looks good for ONE person while tripping. Better than sleeping on a laidback seat.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:

That might have been me asking (under miscellanenous rvs and items for sale) I`ve seen others like the one you have posted the link for but that is the first I`ve seen them as RVs. Thanks.

http://www.spacekap.com/index.php?lang=en&...section=accueil
phil wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:49 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
You'd have to sleep in the fetal position too. The overhang would have to be about a foot on each side to sleep halfway comfortably side-to-side.
The unit is only 6" narrower than what I think of as the "classic egg" (Boler 1300, Trillium 1300, Scamp, Casita...) width of 80" (or 6' 8")... and in the eggs the round corners usually significantly affect the beds. It might not be that bad, although I'm a bit tall for it, especially since I like to stretch straight out sometimes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm looking at the pictures and I'm looking at the diagrams and I just don't get it. It doesn't look 78" wide...and I know without a doubt, there's no way I could sleep side-to-side in the back of my truck. What am I missing?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Quote:
UHaul apparently produced this for some period of time. I thought it was pretty interesting, although never got the opportunity to talk with the folks who had it mounted. Because it has no windows, I presume it to be merely a topper though, rather than a camper.

Attachment 6261

Roger

That looks oddly like an outhouse!

Sorry... I couldn't resist!
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 PM   #10

Why no front on pictures?
Where are the windows?
What kind of ventalation system does it have?
How does a shorter person than I am get into one?
How do I get into one?
Where can I see one at a show near me?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:27 PM   #11

How wide is a standard size short bed truck
Would the small version fit my 6ft 6 Dodge Dakota?
Will it fit between the rails or do I have to go to a full size pick up?
My truck bed ia almost 3 ft off the ground. Do I need a step ladder?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:48 AM   #12

Trailer:
Quote:
It doesn't look 78" wide...and I know without a doubt, there's no way I could sleep side-to-side in the back of my truck. What am I missing?
The (sleeping) beds are above the sidewalls of the truck and so extend out beyond the bed of the truck. (Sleeping) Bed photo.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
When my wife and I got married, I had a full-sized 6' bed pickup with a Winnebago topper - it clamped onto the top of the bed rails like a cap but it had a back panel that went all the way to the floor with a short door to get in and out. There was a tiny furnace mounted through the wall to the right of the door on the back. A normal Full matress would just fit in the space between the wheelwells, and that's what we used on our honeymoon trip from NH to western PA and back. On the nights it was really rainy, we got a motel room but other than that we stayed in campgrounds and generally had a great time.

These look like they'd be pretty good for the stated purpose - as a back-country capable camper for the outdoorsman.

Neat!

-edited 'cause I can't spell!
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
This seems to be designed only for the Full-Sized pickup truck market, as an adjunct to their main line of truck work bodies. Amenities like windows and ventilation (beyond the roof hatch, which looks bigger than that of a standard RV 14x14) seem to be non-existent.

My Ranger's narrowest point by the tailgate is only about 52", so there's no way any 74" wide anything will fit in there!

In my travels in eastern CA a couple of years ago, I noticed that there were numerous MFG work bodies on small pickup trucks belonging to power, telco, cable, etc. companies, so I imagine there may be one or more manfs out there (Google is your friend!).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #15

Quote:
I'm looking at the pictures and I'm looking at the diagrams and I just don't get it. It doesn't look 78" wide...
The diagrams say 74"... not 78". Did I miss something?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #16

Quote:
...Where are the windows?...
Since they mostly build caps for cargo, there usually are no windows, but some of the photos have side windows.

Quote:
How wide is a standard size short bed truck
Would the small version fit my 6ft 6 Dodge Dakota?
Will it fit between the rails or do I have to go to a full size pick up?
My truck bed ia almost 3 ft off the ground. Do I need a step ladder?
"Full size" trucks are significantly wider than a Dakota, regardless of box length; I agree with Pete... this is not for compact or mid-size trucks.

There are fascinating folding stairs for slide-in campers, which have exactly the same problem. Personally, I think the low floor is major reason for liking our trailers.

The difficulty in getting decent camper to fit in a pickup truck box is an example of why I think the worst thing about a pickup is the minimally functional cargo box... many would be better off with a simple open deck, maybe with folding sides, as is used in the much of the rest of the world.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #17

Still Think that they look usable for boonie camping. Tie on a canoe and put it in 4 wheel and look for a dirt road. Would appreciate more windows to chase away the fobias. Some of this type of cap will slide in a narrower PU like a Dakota but hang further over the sides. They just don't mention the slide in width.