Non Interstate Travel - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Non Interstate Travel

We travel as many non-interstate roads as possible, partially because they are more interesting and partially because the driving is less intense.

There are parts of the east where there is little choice and in the west some interstates have low density traffic however on the whole we seek the less traveled.

In the east when traveling south after the Jersey Turnpike we cut through Delaware across the Chesapeake Bridge and take route 17 South skirting cities like Charleston on the bypass.

Going west we frequently cut out Ohio, Indiana and Illinois by cutting across Canada on TC 17, crossing at Sault Ste. Marie and connecting up with route 2 taking it all the way to Seattle area.

In the west we take coastal route 101 from Washington to San Francisco. There are roads all over like this.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:35 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Isn't that Jersey Turnpike just FUN !! We've been on it several times, then down to the Chesapeake Bay bridge / tunnel. Been on 17 several times. Only thing I don't like about the two lane roads is when traffic backs up behind me when there's no passing areas. Nobody seems to drive the posted speed limit. Some of 17 is really good, 2 lanes each direction, little traffic. Another route we took last year heading south was 29, did a couple nights in Cheraw state park which was a nice little park, then on to Huntington Beach. Doing that route again this year.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:50 AM   #3

Florida
Bob and Mary,
Thanks for the input on Route 29, I was not even aware of it's existence. We also like Hunting beach and have stayed there a few times. There's an interesting small company near Huntington that refurbs old Airstreams.

A good part of 17 is 4 lanes, with healthy additions south of Charleston, SC. For us when traffic builds behind us we just pull over and let them pass, maybe a few times a day. I figure it makes the 'passers' feel good.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #4

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
We try to avoid the interstates but in some states it seems that the only roads that get any maintenance are the interstates . The state and county roads are in such poor shape that you have to limit your speed to a maximum of 45 mph ,while constantly dodging potholes.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I, on the other hand, prefer the interstates. I'm a single traveler. Since I can't view the scenery and drive safely at the same time... I just want to get to my destination. I'm still working. That probably has a lot to do with it. Time off is precious.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #6

Florida
Donna,

Working and having limited time often means the fastest route is the best.

Looking back at our pre-RV lives, there is much we would change. First a higher focus on accumulating less stuff, accumulation of more travel resources and hitting the road earlier.

Of course we're not complaining about 14 years on the road, looking at our travels in wonder and thankfulness every day.

One aspect of non-interstate roads is that the reduced traffic intensity provides more opportunity to view the world.

Wishing you years of happiness with your new rig.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16