Non Self-Contained rigs on BLM Long Term Visitor Area - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #15

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
This seems to summarize those locations that have a self containment requirement.

Bureau of Land Management – Long Term Visitor Areas – Supplementary Rules
Self-Contained Vehicles

a. In Pilot Knob, Midland, Tamarisk, and Hot Springs LTVAs, you may camp only in self-contained camping units. The
La Posa, Imperial Dam, and Mule Mountain LTVAs are restricted to self-contained camping units, except within 500 feet
of a vault or rest room.
b. Self-contained camping units must have a permanent, affixed waste water holding tank of 10-gallon minimum capacity.
BLM does not consider port-a-potty systems, systems that utilize portable holding tanks, or permanent holding tanks of
less than 10-gallon capacity, to be self-contained

(See link posted by Larry G in post #8)
What do tenters do?

Old 12-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
No, it was specifically designated grey dump. Thanks for the "vote of confidence".

Old 12-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
The La Posa LTVA in Quartzsite is divided into 4 sections, and the south area is the only one that has vault toilets, which would limit you to that area. While the tents & non self contained trailers do tend to cluster around the vaults, the 500' seems to be quite liberally enforced, although I don't see any stand alone tents in the other 3 sections. I have seen a few trailers that are small enough that I can't believe they have anything other than a portapotty...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
No, it was specifically designated grey dump. Thanks for the "vote of confidence".
Sorry I couldn't resist...lol
Old 12-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hmmmm... I've been to a lot of sites in the western states and I have never seen a "Dump Ring" in a site. I have seen gravel backfilled graywater dumping locations, usually near or at a water faucet, but never in a site.

At Orange County Regional Parks in CA, they specifically tell campers to not use gray water to extinguish fires as run off attracts critters.

In Joshua Tree National Park they tell you to never dump water on desert plants as many are to fragile to withstand (even biodegradable) soaps
Old 12-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
What do tenters do?
They don't.

Nor will I because my trailer lacks the requisite equipment. But it's okay. My wife will not camp anywhere there is not a clean flush toilet within a short walk, and it's no fun without her.

We do host a church camp once a year at a nearby campground that lacks facilities (port-jons and a water buffalo). It's part of our job, so she has to come. But I am convinced she always forgets to pack several things so she has an excuse to run home a couple of times during the week.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #21

Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
My experience in cal is if they require "self contained" the want a real plumbing system, I have been turned away with a van that didn't have a on board holding tank
Old 12-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #22

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
My experience in cal is if they require "self contained" the want a real plumbing system, I have been turned away with a van that didn't have a on board holding tank
At what Park(s) Campground(s)? State, Federal, Local, Regional, Private?

At Silver Strand State Beach they required "Self Contained", but will accept a Porta Potty and a external, closed circuit, gray water holding tank.
While most RV's were behemoth class "A's", there were several smaller trailers, including several pop-up tent trailers, that all had porta-potties and external gray water tanks.

BTW: After set-up they come by and inspect for compliance.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #23

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
We've already been informed by a member of a local travel club we used to belong to that our 1973 amerigo will NOT be allowed anywhere NICE trailers are allowed because it's too old and will bring down the tone of the whole place and will "cost them stars."

Frankly, I think that was rather nasty, and don't want to camp at any campground that wants to be so high-falutin'

I always find the egg rigs to be a huge attraction for me...not a deterrent! Obviously.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #24

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I have direct experience with this. I lived in La Posa south near Quartzsite for a season in my 15 foot Kit Companion sticky.

The requirements posted here are exactly as what was on my permit. The Kit had no holding tanks, black or gray. I used a blue boy. Now, I never told them it didn't, and they never asked. I was parked in "the general area" of a porta potti station, but would say I was a good 1/4 mile + from it...stretching the bounds of the 500 foot rule. I could see the porta pottis from my rig, but didn't consider myself near them.

They do have people that come round and make sure you are not dumping, or in general making a mess of things by storing garbage, junk etc on your site. Since just about everyone in a long term situation uses some sort of portable tank, I don't think they were the wiser and I was left alone. The Sticky rig looked like it *should* have a tank, and I just don't think they bothered to look close enough, or they saw how clean etc I was and they blew it off. I was there 7 months and not a peep was heard from the "authorities".

I saw many tents camped near the porta potties. Long term. (Brutal in the winds out there, but hey..they were doing what they could) I never saw tents anywhere else.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #25

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Hmmmm... I've been to a lot of sites in the western states and I have never seen a "Dump Ring" in a site. I have seen gravel backfilled graywater dumping locations, usually near or at a water faucet, but never in a site.
I was afraid I might get in trouble for my ambiguous wording there. You're right, the dump ring part of my comment referred to the Ohio site only.
Sorry.

Walt
Old 12-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #26

Name: Linda
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 ft, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Minnesota
I need to know what they think of my composting toilet?
Old 12-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #27

California
Trailer Snobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
We've already been informed by a member of a local travel club we used to belong to that our 1973 amerigo will NOT be allowed anywhere NICE trailers are allowed because it's too old and will bring down the tone of the whole place and will "cost them stars."

Frankly, I think that was rather nasty, and don't want to camp at any campground that wants to be so high-falutin'

I always find the egg rigs to be a huge attraction for me...not a deterrent! Obviously.
There's an easy fix for Ageism should you run into it, either on purpose, or by accident.

Simply precede the name of your trailer with "It's a 2012 Retro Look XXX", so now you have a 2012, Retro Look, Amerigo..... Retro is very in....

But as Groucho Marx once stated (paraphrased I'm sure)... "I wouldn't want to be a member of any organization that would allow someone like me to be a member".
Old 12-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #28

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thumbs up i like that retro

Quote:
There's an easy fix for Ageism should you run into it, either on purpose, or by accident.

Simply precede the name of your trailer with "It's a 2012 Retro Look XXX", so now you have a 2012, Retro Look, Amerigo..... Retro is very in....

But as Groucho Marx once stated (paraphrased I'm sure)... "I wouldn't want to be a member of any organization that would allow someone like me to be a member".
retro I'm a 1953 retro get new parts lol