Noob Asks: What's the Downside to This? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #15

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
We have a 16' Scamp which we started towing with a Ford Ranger which did very well.

For a small, very lightweight trailer, if you could find a Little Joe or a Ponderosa, these would be ideal for towing with a Camry, I would think.

Little Joe Lightweight Trailer - Compact Camper Trailer for 2 by Weiscraft Trailers

Even a Roughneck seems like it might be fun.

I have not gotten to see in real life, however. They look cool. You can get a shower in the Ponderosa even. I believe they are reality new.

I believe they are very similar to an older, short lived model, the LiteHouse:
2-LiteHouse

Old 07-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #16

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I would sell the Camry, use 3K of your intended purchase $ to upgrade to a slightly beefier tug (it dosen't have to be some monster truck). The remaining 5K will still get you a decent 16' Scamp or Casita IF you're fast, patient, lucky and willing to drive for it.
Think about how big of a bed you need. Most 13'ers have pretty narrow beds; works for many, but ya better be small and cozy. Do you want bathroom facilitys? Again a 13'er will feel pretty cramped with a bathroom (Do they even make such a thing?). Welcome and good luck!

Old 07-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #17

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Tow vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
Total noob here. I just discovered this category of "eggs" as you refer to them. WOW - seems like a dream come true. A lightweight RV I Can tow with a Camry V6? Enough room for two and a tiny dog? (Hopefully) easy to set up? Ok, what's the downside to this? What am I missing? Is fiberglass less safe, or more maintenance, or gets blown over in the wind, or too cold in the spring, or too hot in the summer or what?

Why would anyone by those "other kind" of trailers when these exist?
You will get a lot of opinions on tow vehicles. I have a 13' Trillium and tow it with a 4 cylinder, 5 speed Jetta. I have towed it from New Brunswick, Canada to Florida and back as well as to northern Ontario and back with absolutely no issues. I can easily maintain highway speeds although I usually stay closer to 55 mph to save gas. I am careful to ensure my tongue weight is correct. I usually travel by myself but have taken another adult on occasion. I did add trailer brakes and would strongly recommend adding those immediately.
Good luck in your search.
Barrie
Old 07-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #18

Name: m
Trailer: in the market
California
I did some quickie research and I discovered that the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odessey both have a #3500 tow cap. That's a considerable lot more than the #2000 in my Camry, and I would think that kind of van vehicle would be somewhat comfortable like a Camry - although I have never even sat in one let alone drove one. I may at least go look at one to see what they are like.

I really don't think I can make do in a 13 foot. 20 years ago, yes. But at 63, I don't want to be so cramped, and lugging coolers around and all the rest. My fantasy (unrealistic as it may be) is to find like a spaceship on wheels. Light, spartan, modern, easy to clean, but with certain comforts like refer and stove.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #19

New Brunswick
Quote:

I really don't think I can make do in a 13 foot. 20 years ago, yes. But at 63, I don't want to be so cramped, and lugging coolers around and all the rest. My fantasy (unrealistic as it may be) is to find like a spaceship on wheels. Light, spartan, modern, easy to clean, but with certain comforts like refer and stove.
I'm almost 60 myself and you might be surprised by how much you can do with a 13 footer. Mine has a 3 way fridge, a 2 burner stove, propane furnace and a porta potti. The front couch is great for taking naps and the rear dinette folds down to a comfortable bed. There is a closet for clothes and lots of overhead cabinets. It even has a range hood with a fan and light. The 3 interior lights are LED and run forever from the on board battery. While it doesn't have all the amenities of a full blown motorhome I haven't had to make many compromises. Of course, what works great for me might be spartan for someone else.
Good luck in your search. If you visit a gathering of fiberglass eggs I'm sure you'll receive plenty of offers to look over the selections there.
Barrie
Old 07-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #20

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
The down side? The beds in most models are too small to sleep two comfortably in our opinion. There are those who's opinion is that the beds are just right.

Oh and they are like potato chips...you can't have just one.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #21

New Brunswick
Lizbeth is right. The bed in my 13' is small for 2 adults. I made an extension that attaches to the END of the dinette table so 2 can sleep lengthwise rather than crossways as the dinette bed is designed. It's is king sized at the head and slightly smaller at the feet. Not perfect but very comfortable.
Barrie
Old 07-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #22

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I did some quickie research and I discovered that the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odessey both have a #3500 tow cap. That's a considerable lot more than the #2000 in my Camry, and I would think that kind of van vehicle would be somewhat comfortable like a Camry - although I have never even sat in one let alone drove one. I may at least go look at one to see what they are like.

Hi: redwoodguy...Sounds like if you changed your tug...you might be in line for a used 16 or 17' Casita. That'd be my choice... if I didn't have the Nissan/Escape 5.0 combo.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
made in the shade.jpg  
Old 07-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #23

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Quit yer braggin' Alf!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #24

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
My 6cyl 2011 Ford Escape is getting 27mpg (thrilling to me since I drive 30 miles one way to work). It will also easily tow my UHaul 13. If I had chosen to, I could have also gotten a tow package that would have given me a 3500lb tow capacity and not really affected the mpg by much. There are tugs out there that get decent mileage and will also pull a larger trailer.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #25

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
The only downside has been the narrowness of the rear bed. Side bed is very narrow as well. Ha! We have adapted and have enjoyed the Scamp greatly. I am 6', my wife 5'3". In 2009, we tried sleeping head to toe of each other, this has given more room for our shoulders and so far has not caused any other problems.

Some Eggs come with fridges, a few with ice boxes, most have a two or three burner stoves. They will vary in most things.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the 13' Scamp has the same sized rear bed as the 16' Scamps, unless they are the Wooden Custom Scamp (Wooden Interior Finish), which can be gotten with a slightly wider bed in the rear.

2005 16' Scamp Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer
Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Retired the 2003 Ford Ranger in 2009

We had a C-Class MH, but after the kids has moved on in life, we found we were not using the MH much. We wanted to be able to easily go, travel & camp and not have such a large unit and to save some gas mpg as well.

Wanting to downsize & having a Ford Ranger, we wanted something it could tow. I remembered ordering Scamp info years earlier, found the phone # and ordered information. They had a DVD as well.

Decided the Scamp looked like what we would like to have and ordered a 16' Scamp with side dinette and a front bath/shower. Sight unseen, never been close to one, never in one. But we did get to visit the factory in Backus....later in the summer. We liked what we saw there. Liked the trailers.

My son & his wife were living in Minot at the time. They picked it up for us and drove it midway down to Loveland, CO where we met them. Over a Labor Day weekend. We ordered it in March and it was completed in August. The wait is always the hard part.

After ordering it in March and after discovering Casita TTs, I order info from them. Rice is closer to us, my sister lives within 60 miles of the place, but to tow with the Ranger, the better size of the 16' Scamp over the 16' Casita plus being able to get a larger fridge at the time in the Scamp and it being lighter and less expensive than the 17', we stayed with the Scamp. The Rest is History.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #26

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
I did some quickie research and I discovered that the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey both have a #3500 tow cap. That's a considerable lot more than the #2000 in my Camry, and I would think that kind of van vehicle would be somewhat comfortable like a Camry -
A LOT of people tow with minivans. Both the Sienna and Odyssey are good choices.
I tow my Fiber Stream with an Odyssey and I can vouch for it's comfort.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific Ocean.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	37579
Old 07-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #27

Name: Ron
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Iowa
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
It would seem with your $8k, you should be able to find a nice 13' Scamp within your price and weight limit. Buying any 16' and loading it up for travel would, in my opinion, push the 2,000 lb limit. I promise you, joining the fiberglass camping community will be a great joy in your life!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #28

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Oh, another downside for some is the height of some of the trailers. If you are tall and want to stand up in your trailer, be aware that some are not tall enough to do so. I cannot tell you which ones for sure other than older Scamps, but if this is an issue for you, keep this in mind. We have a UHaul that is tall enough for my hubby who is 6'1". He has issues where the air conditioner is and with our curved roofline is (So do I. It usually takes me one head bump per trip to remember to duck ). I wondered when I whacked my head last week if something with a flatter roofline would be better.

Anyway, something to keep in mind.

CindyL