North to Alaska via the ALCAN? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Made the trip about 2 1/2 years ago now, but didn't pull the egg. We lived in our conversion van, but it was one great trip. And I would love to do it all over again, and yes be sure to pick-up a copy of the Milepost. Have a fun time, wish I were going again.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
The drive is fun but wears on you. I drove up then took the Alaska Marine Highway ferry back to Washington. THat part I enjoyed, very relaxing, and a poor mans cruise.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
The drive is fun but wears on you. I drove up then took the Alaska Marine Highway ferry back to Washington. THat part I enjoyed, very relaxing, and a poor mans cruise.
Yeah.. I think it would take six or eight weeks to see it all and even then you will be robbed. That's why I broke it up in little trips. More expense for sure but less stressful.

A note to fish(ing) lovers: Throughout Alaska and BC Salmon is king. Salmon means everything. But I am not that fond of it. What I noticed thereby was an invisible fishiery... TROUT and GREYLING. You can pull up to any stream anywhere and catch fish twice the size you have ever hooked in your neck of the woods. Trout are everywhere and very hungry and all the natives leave them alone 'cause they want salmon!

Seafood is just hard to believe. Have you ever had fish and chips fresh fried with malt vinegar... and the fish was (not joking) HALIBUT? There is so much good seafood it is incredible... king crab from the bearing sea... ling cod off the shelf... halibut everywhere! and all priced normally.. not like salmon which is priced too high. If you get the chance try halibut cheeks! OMG!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #18

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Salmon = crowds of people
Trout and greyling = peace and quiet
Halibut = delicious!

ps. The warning for Mt Redoubt has been downgraded from orange to yellow...
Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
We did Alaska in '06 the easy way... a seven day cruise up the Inland Passage, bus from Valdez to Denali, train back to Anchorage... and flew home.

Alaska photos

What a magnificent place!

Roger
Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
I'm following this thread with interest. We're hoping to go to Alaska again this year, this time with our own trailer. (Last trip, we flew to Anchorage and rented a little Class C.)
That two week trip was amazing, and well worth the long flights. Boondocking in Old Valdez, the cruise from Seaward through Kenai, and we were so lucky to visit Denali in beautiful, clear weather. Hope we can get all our ducks in a row for this year while the gas prices are still down.
I read on another forum that the Milepost can now be downloaded in digital format. Anyone done this?

Sherry
Old 03-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #21

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
No first hand experience by my neighbor's father in law saw my Burro in the driveway and said he had a freind that they caravaned up that road with who had a 13 Burro.
He said there were no problems on the trip and the Burro did just fine.

I wanted to make the trip when I retired but I think gas prices put the kabosh on that.
I predict it will go back to $4.00 the day I decide to take a trip ( April 25th)
Old 03-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Ron and others going to Petersburg. We really liked "The Trees RV" spot. It is the best in Petersburg. Relatives who were local recommended it and they were right. Call and get reservations. I don't think it was open when Joy made her trip, seemed quite new when we were there 07.

Also I don't think I have ever had such good pizza as one can get in Petersburg. Seems like the one that we thought was fantastic was up near the grocery store up on top of the hill by the airport. There is also a more basic store down in town and another pizza place in town, that was good too, great ice cream sold there.

http://www.metadesignworks.com/treesrv/

Nancy
Old 03-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
If what you say is true, STAY HOME. LOL

I will be going to Backus,mn from Toledo Ohio for my Scamp on May 4th.

Bill K

Quote:
I predict it will go back to $4.00 the day I decide to take a trip ( April 25th)
Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Quote:
Yeah.. I think it would take six or eight weeks to see it all and even then you will be robbed. That's why I broke it up in little trips. More expense for sure but less stressful.

A note to fish(ing) lovers: Throughout Alaska and BC Salmon is king. Salmon means everything. But I am not that fond of it. What I noticed thereby was an invisible fishiery... TROUT and GREYLING. You can pull up to any stream anywhere and catch fish twice the size you have ever hooked in your neck of the woods. Trout are everywhere and very hungry and all the natives leave them alone 'cause they want salmon!

Seafood is just hard to believe. Have you ever had fish and chips fresh fried with malt vinegar... and the fish was (not joking) HALIBUT? There is so much good seafood it is incredible... king crab from the bearing sea... ling cod off the shelf... halibut everywhere! and all priced normally.. not like salmon which is priced too high. If you get the chance try halibut cheeks! OMG!
Like my fellow Floridian in a post above I am also following this thread with a great deal of interest. Now, this info of yours on fishing has really piqued my interest. personally I'd prefer to catch any fish but trout and grayling are really tasty...

I wonder, which months would you who have been consider it best to go,, up the Alcan Highway, probably, north to Alaska? Why those months?

I just might be changing my camping direction this summer, especially now that gas is so much cheaper. I don't know how long that will last.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #25

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Like my fellow Floridian in a post above I am also following this thread with a great deal of interest. Now, this info of yours on fishing has really piqued my interest. personally I'd prefer to catch any fish but trout and grayling are really tasty...

I wonder, which months would you who have been consider it best to go,, up the Alcan Highway, probably, north to Alaska? Why those months?

I just might be changing my camping direction this summer, especially now that gas is so much cheaper. I don't know how long that will last.

Thanks
I will be posting like I did last time... a BLOG for the Alaska trip. The first two times I did all videos and could not post very well (no.. not even youtube). This time I will post stills and an occasional video.

Our uncompromisable departure date is July 3rd from Prince Rupert to Ketchican. After that is it pretty open and I'll post a log if you are interested.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Too early means Black Flies!!! Summer is skeeter time. Fall is nice as long as there isn't an early Winter. Check fishing season dates also.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:38 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Just 2 weeks ago, Dave reconnected with a childhood friend who's life path took her and husband to Alaska in1965. They love it there & have never considered living anywhere else. We've been invited to visit whenever we might get to the far north. So ... we, too, are following this thread with interest and I'm especially grateful for Roger's link to and description of their ship/bus/train adventure. We really admire RVers of any ilk who make this trip. JoyA's trip diary was a joy to read, and planted a seed about using the ferry system to minimize driving. However, since our Scamp13 is virtually "Alpha & Omega" (first & last RV for us) we have no desire to subject it (or tug) to the rigors of the Alcan, so an itinerary such as Roger's looks like a practical alternative.

Thanx again to all who have posted about their experiences. Safe travels, wherever your wheels take ya! L 'n D

p.s. Pete - thanx for the bug report ... eeeyyyuuuwww!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #28

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
June, July, and August are great months to go because of the long summer nights. You can read in bed until 11:00 without a light on. If you don't have a screen door, I would suggest you make some type of door screen with velcro and noseeum netting (available at fabric stores). We also travelled with a screen tent. We really enjoyed staying at the North Pole campsite. Make sure to have reservations in Anchorage. We arrived without them and spent the first night at a seedy campsite downtown as the best campsite was full (don't remember its name).