Northeast Georgia Campground needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2006, 08:42 AM   #1

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
Greetings.
We are traveling to Clayton, Georgia in mid-August, and need suggestions on campgrounds in the area. Electricity would be nice, but not essential.
Thanks,
Diane & Dave
DianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Right up the road hwy 23. Black Rock Mountain state park. We stopped to check it out, never stayed there but it was very nice. Panned to meet the daughter there but it never happened. It is still on our list of places we want to go.
Much cooler there as it is up very high.
There are 2 or three other campgrounds in that area too.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe (a true 'Dream House'!)
Pete is right. Black Rock is probably the closest (3 or 4 miles) and is a great park.
Another good choice is Tallulah Gorge. It is about 12 miles from Clayton. I find more to do and see at Tallulah and I find the campground a little easier to navigate. Both parks are excellent.
Here's a link to NE GA state parks. There are others in the area.
NE GA State Parks
Feel free to e mail me if I can answer any specific questions. I hope you enjoy your visit.
Lorene W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Let me try this again.

I haven't been to Black Rock State Park, but I don't see how you could go wrong at Tallulah Gorge. There is plenty to do -- hiking trails especially. Beautiful sites and even a Wal-Mart about six miles away. They have water and electricity, but no sewer connections.

Don't miss the Bluegrass concert in the "town" of Tallulah. You'll meet the Mayor (really) and hear some of the best down home bluegrass music you'll every hear. Bring your lawn chairs -- arrive about 6:15 stay until the music stops. The serve hot dogs and soft drinks for a donation. $5.00 is about right.

Here is a web-site from Pete Seabolt.

http://homepage.mac.com/pseabolt/tallulah/tallulah.html

When you check in at the campground tell Melvin that Bob sent you. You won't be disappointed.
Bob and Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #5

Thank you Pete, Lorene, Bob and Judy.
We did not realize that there was so many beautiful places there. We will be doing an activity at SEE whitewater rafting on the Chatooga River. I now have places to research and choose from. Thanks so much for your help.
Diane & David
Old 08-03-2006, 08:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Blackrock Mountain State Park.

I posted a review of the campground here. It may have been before the big hack, so it would be gone if that was when I posted it.

It's a great state park! You have water and power hookups. The campsites are very nice, with picnic table, fire ring, and lantern post. Some of the sites even have rock fireplaces. The campground itself is up on the ridgeline, so you're very high. Over 3,000 feet, where it's a lot cooler than in the valley.

Many hiking opportunities. I did a lot of that when we were there. Also, there are lots of things to see nearby, including Talulah Gorge State Park. I didn't care as much for the campground at the Gorge. It's nice, but not as pretty as the one at Blackrock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CasitaCampirng.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	4475
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:26 PM   #7

Greetings and thanks for all your help.
We decided to take a site at Black Rock Gampground. It is the "maiden" voyage of our redone Scamp. I'm sure we will both learn a lot about what to bring and what to leave. We are going to try a French Press coffee system, and memory foam for the bed. Wish us safe travel, and wave if you spot us heading south through IL, IN, KT, TN, and GA.
Happy Scamping,
Diane & Dave
Old 08-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Great choice! You should have a lot of fun!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote