Northwest Territories - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've had Yellowknife, NWT marked on my DeLorme maps, on the computer, for long time now and I'm strongly considering taking a trip in that direction sometime in the next two weeks. I've been tied up with my son-in-law's semi pro football team all summer long so haven't gone ANYPLACE.....I've really itchy feet now and NEED to hit the road for a while...any comments. recommendations or real life experiences with regard to the NWT would be greatly appreciated. I do NOT have a FGRV anymore....BUT.....the capper on the back of the truck IS fiberglass, that's what I camp with now, so I consider that fiberglass camping.....

Rrussell
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Russell, we all know someone who lives in Yellowknife! Jamie Hubbs! He owns a Boler and comes to the Oregon Gathering (didn't make it this year due to a broken frame ) I'd suggest contacting him.... he'll give you all kinds of tips, not only where to stay, but best roads etc.

Jamie Hubbs Profile
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I haven't been in a while, not a lot of roads to chose from. Pavement used to end at Hay River. After Yellowknife, go west to Fort Simpson (cool ferry ride across the Liard) then loop south to Fort Nelson, on the Alaska highway. Gravel is usually in decent shape. Watch for bison.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 5500
I used to live in Hay River, NWT. there is some nice scenery esp as you move east towards Nahani. If you travel north from Edmonton, you will go thru Hay River, where the pavement will end as Cam said. Gravel highway takes you up to the cross over the Mackenzie River via a small ferry at Rae Edzo. the ferry is out of commission for a few days around fall freeze up (ususally november), and in April when the ice breaks up.

it is quite a pretty drive, and even though it's summer there will be stretches where you are the only one on the road, so take a small emerg. kit. Also watch out for Caribou on the road!
Janice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for the quick replies, and yes Donna, I'll contact Jammie Hubbs...

Russell
Old 08-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler
Excellent choice for a road trip! Not quite the end of the road, but you can see it from there. Actually, the road DOES end about 70 km out of town, appropriately, at a stop sign. A legacy of the Canadian government's "Road to Resources" policy back in the late fifties, it was meant to go to Churchill, Manitoba, but didn't quite make it.

Quite a few camping options available. Long Lake campground is just outside town, near the airport, and there are a few camgrounds on the aforementioned Ingraham Trail, the more popular ones are at Prelude Lake and Reid Lake (near the end of the road). Hotel accomodation can be pricey.

Make sure you go to the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre and to the nearby Legislature Building. If the Legislature is in session you can sit in and hear the proceedings. They do simultaneous translations in four or five languages. Make sure you grab a meal at the Wildcat Cafe, if it is still open for the season and head up to Pilot's Monument for a good vista of Old Town. Speaking of Old Town, make sure you take a stroll down "Ragged Ass Lane". The sign disappears frequently.

I'd also recommend a local floatplane trip. You really appreciate the vastness of the area, and the myriad lakes from the air. A fly-in to one of the local fishing lodges would be a bonus.

If you golf, you can try out the sand course.

Watch out for bison on the road when you get off the ferry at Ft. Providence - they wander across the road on occasion and have a fair bit of heft!

I moved to Yellowknife with the intention of staying for a year and ended up staying for twelve - be careful!

Have fun!

Don
Don & Viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Yes, indeed, beware of the animals, esp the big ones....
Attached Thumbnails
BC_NWT_1.JPG   CARIBO_1.JPG  

YIELDT_1.JPG  
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
One year pre-Boler, we towed a rented tent trailer from the Edmonton area, up the Mackenzie highway into the NWT, to Hay River then east to Forth Smith and Wood Buffalo Park. The Park would be a out-and-back detour on a trip to Yellowknife, as there is only that one road in and out.

We stayed in territorial park campgrounds. The surrounding were nice, with trees between campsites and good facilities, well maintained. We were at the campgrounds at the welcome centre (60th parallel border), Hay River, and Fort Smith. Only Hay River had any services at the individual campsites (and there our site had only 15 A power, no water or sewer), but they had central washroom and shower facilities. Wood Buffalo is a federal park, and has a campground on a lake, but it was essentially abandoned when we were there - forest fires in surrounding areas had discouraged the rest of the tourists, but didn't cause any problems for us.

The gravel road we drove was well maintained - some of the nicest gravel I've ever driven. It is gravel, though, which was hard on the front of the trailer, and one unfortunate rock bounce took out our van's rear (!) window - I suggest good flaps and protecting the front of the trailer.

While we were stopped at the roadside (between Hay River and Fort Smith) gathering up the broken glass and duct-taping on a sheet of plastic, something like ten to twelve vehicles drove by (we were there quite a while). All but one stopped to see if we needed assistance, even when someone else was already stopped, and when that single car went by we had another vehicle with us. Even a passing helicopter circled back to have a look before continuing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #9

Once again, thank you to everyone that answered my query re" Northwest territories. I've saved all the replies to my desktop so I can refer to them as I calculate my route. Of course the choices seem to be rather limited since there appears to be only one road leading into Yellowknife.

Russell
Old 09-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (B17STD)
Quote:
Once again, thank you to everyone that answered my query re" Northwest territories. I've saved all the replies to my desktop so I can refer to them as I calculate my route. Of course the choices seem to be rather limited since there appears to be only one road leading into Yellowknife.

Russell

Hi William! (and everyone else here).

As a 10 yr resident of Hay River, I thought I'd drop a note and a website: http://www.hayriver.com

Yes there is only one road up to Yellowknife, but since last year it is all paved. You still have to watch for Bison though and moose and bear and foxes and sometimes wolves and coyotes and... well you get the picture. Especially north of the Fort Providence ferry crossing. From Hay River to Yellowknife is a 6 hour drive. Be sure to fuel up in Hay River and again at Fort Providence. (Gas station is on the highway so you can't miss it.)

Other than that, the campground in Yellowknife (Fred Henne) and Prelude lake (about a 20 minute drive from YK) are closed around this time of year. Why you ask?? well historically we can get snow around Sept. 25..... But check out http://www.campingnwt.ca to know for sure. Plus you can reserve a site.

Also if you plan on heading west from Hay River to Fort Simpson and then down to BC, please note that the gas station at the Fort Simpson turn off, called Checkpoint, is now closed for good. So you have to travel 60 km's into Fort Simpson to refuel and then backtrack again.
I would recommend a spare jerry can or two if you can hold them.

Other than that, hope you have a good trip!!

Regards,
Harry
hscheper is offline   Reply With Quote