Not for Sale! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #15

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Roy, after over 22 years of towing our Boler around we are askiing ourselves, how much longer?? Then we answer ourselves, .....at least another year. At least another trip. At least a few more memories. At least another bolerama. At least another........ It's been painted, maintained, updated and well taken care of. I wouldn't even know what value to put on the happiness it's given us or the friends we've made because of having it. Someday we will pass it on to another family to enjoy the love it gives.

BUT NOT YET!
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Old 05-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #16

Name: Jaye
Trailer: Scamp
Maine
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to jaye580
I had two Scamps, a 78 and an 84 and I had towed them from the back of the house to the front driveway so I could give them a good sprucing up. I had to paint a huge NOT FOR SALE sign and but it between them to keep people from bothering me.

Later when I decided to sell the 84 people would stop or answer an ad I had on Craigslist and get all offended at how much I was asking for it. They just didn't KNOW what these rare little eggs are worth.

I did finally sell it but still have the 78. It is not exactly road worthy anymore (could be with some TLC) but for now it is my grand daughters playhouse after her daddy and I put many thousands of miles on it while he was a kid. That was is in the family to stay.

Jaye

http://www.facebook.com/jayeded
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #17

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
It's interesting the number of people that try to buy your Scamp. I bought new at end of 2005 so it's over 10 years old. The first one came before the first trip. Since then I've been gawked at and followed. One guy followed me for about 50 miles before I stopped for lunch. I stepped out of the truck and there he was.
I stopped at rest area in Northern CA, went back to trailer got something out of it with trailer door open, when I started to leave the trailer there was a line of close to a dozen people wanting see inside. As the last one was leaving a lady came running across the parking lot yelling "I was to see too".
The most recent was yesterday a couple of guys stopped in front of driveway and offered me $5,000 for. I laughed at them, told it's not for sale and if it you would need more than double that.
Every outing has resulted in at least one tour. So it goes and goes.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
There is ALWAYS a price you will take for YOUR trailer in whatever condition it is in so why not price it when someone asks if it's for sale and you really do not want to sell? Price it at STUPID MONEY.

STUPID MONEY is a price where YOU will tear their arm off to get paid without giving it a second thought! EVERYTHING (Stuff) you own has a "Stupid Price" at which you will sell and that includes your trailer!

One certainty in life is that your trailer will sell for "Mo Money" when do not want to sell it than when you do want to sell it so take advantage of this situation rather than being a victim of it. It always works that way.

Whenever you are asked if your trailer is For Sale and you DO NOT have a "For Sale" shingle hanging on it say "Yes It Is" & price your trailer STUPID EXPENSIVE.

One of 3 things will happen:

1. The potential buyer will say "Thanks" and walk off without saying much else. That rarely happens.

2. The potential buyer will tell you how "Stupid" your asking price is at which time you tell em "You asked me to sell I didn't ask you to buy. Don't like it don't buy it"! This is what happens in most situations.

3. The potential buyer will PAY YOU and it's time to shop for another trailer AND stick some extra money in your pocket! This happens more times than you can imagine!

In all 3 of the above situations you are a WINNER! Either you still keep your trailer OR you get paid "Stupid Money" for your trailer and waltz off happy shopping for your next useless toy or a new to you trailer. A Win Win situation if I do say so myself!

So YES your trailer is ALWAYS FOR SALE! Especially so when you DO NOT want sell it!!!!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
Similar to what Byron Kinnaman stated we had a number of people wanting to look at our previous Bigfoot 17.5CB while traveling, not so much with our larger Bigfoot 21RB. Although we have hardly used the later. I wonder, is it the size of the trailer or how it's made (molded fiberglass) that attracts so much attention? Do owners of stick built or larger trailers or 5th wheels get similar attention?
Old 05-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #20

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
After all Paul has put into our 1973 Amerigo, I'm thinking $10,000.

It's going to be OneStepUp from tenting, that is, NO water, NO propane, NO fridge, NO installed stove, all-electric only. Room for a porta-potty, water bottles, an outside butane cooker that matches the décor...a 9" thick twin permanent innerspring mattress and a 7" thick convertible settee/twin bed.

Is that stupid enough? Anyone? Or should I get stupider?

We don't want to sell it at this point...everything in it is going to be brand new except the few vintage things we were able to salvage, clean up, refurbish, and reuse, like the original lights...

Good advice. Get a stupid price and be ready just in case. Problem solved no matter how you slice it.

Maybe, though, once people see how we've decorated, they won't even ask. Still, solution #1, we keep our trailer.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeser View Post
Do owners of stick built or larger trailers or 5th wheels get similar attention?

NO!
Old 05-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #22

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Good advice. Get a stupid price and be ready just in case. Problem solved no matter how you slice it.
I agree.

After thinking about it for a while, I came up with my stupid price. That is the price I was thinking it would be worth when I finished my restoration. As a bonus I would throw in all the parts I have acquired but yet to install.

My loss would be the potential labour of love. I've got the other trailer as a backup.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Not for Sale!

The difficulty of even finding one for sale, let alone one as clean and sound as the one I have means my stupid price would have to be the cost of a brand new one delivered to Arizona plus tax and registration and enough extra to compensate for loss of use while we waited for Scamp to build it.

And if anyone actually bit on such an absurd price, then I would be immediately suspicious that some kind of fraud was intended.

Can't say I've really had any serious offers. Many curious lookers, and occasionally someone feeling me out to see if I'm a soft target for a lowball offer. With the former I'm always happy to share my love of egg trailers, and if they ask I am frank with them about the market and true values. But with the latter mentioning any price, stupid or otherwise, is merely an invitation to time-wasting counter-offers.

All to say I'll stick with a polite but firm "not for sale."
Old 05-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #24

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeser View Post
Similar to what Byron Kinnaman stated we had a number of people wanting to look at our previous Bigfoot 17.5CB while traveling, not so much with our larger Bigfoot 21RB. Although we have hardly used the later. I wonder, is it the size of the trailer or how it's made (molded fiberglass) that attracts so much attention? Do owners of stick built or larger trailers or 5th wheels get similar attention?
I suspect it's a combination of cuteness and novelty that intrigues people.

We just got our Casita 17, and haven't had it out yet, so haven't experienced the 'Not for Sale' visitors. But this thread has got me thinking about a 'stupid price'. Let's see: considering how hard it was to find a used Casita before someone else snapped it up, a minimum would be the cost of a new one delivered from the factory. Or maybe a 19' Escape? Or. . . how about enough to buy me a new crew-cab pickup and a Bigfoot 5th wheel camper?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote