Not for Sale! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Not for Sale!

I decided to park my Bigfoot trailer for the winter at a local RV business. The parking spot at my house creates issues with my snow plowing, so wanted it out of the way.

The lady at the RV store waved her hand in a general direction and told me to park it "out there" someplace. I stopped by yesterday to check on it and couldn't find it. After cruising around the 40+ acre lot, I found my Bigfoot way, way in the back. The store employees informed me that I had mistakenly parked my trailer in a row of used trailers that were for sale. They said every time a customer went to look at used trailers, they were immediately drawn to the Bigfoot. So many people were asking about it they decided it had to be moved out of sight.

In the meantime, the other used trailers on the lot didn't seem to be selling very fast.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #2

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
bigfoot b17m5cb 2007 model year

I have a similar experience. I posted on our blog here that we were 'thinking' of selling our bigfoot bit wanted to test the timing. Should we sell it now or in the spring? So we received 5 replies with one fellow wanting to pay us full asking price sight unseen. We're in no hurry to sell it but it shows you how highly esteemed is a well kept Bigfoot trailer.
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #3

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
That bigfoot should read B17.5CB model year 2007
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #4

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
had a 1986 Bigfoot once

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninklink View Post
That bigfoot should read B17.5CB model year 2007
: towed it behind V8 w/700r4 not a good combination, trailer is 8' wide and in the wind not fun slows one down to a drag.
but climbing hills was the problem as it is a heavy trailer so make sure you have the right transmission and power to pull it.
Other problem as it was first time towing this type of trailer on should have all the bells and whistles to stop the sway problem. Next we purchased all that, the new buyer did not want to pay me for it but I said if you want it you pay.
I had to pay for it after the fact.
He broke down and paid as it was cheaper than new. They are quite common up here and are a hard sell in British Columbia, but now they are out of business from the 2008 Crash. But are not building campers again and possibly some other stuff. They cannot keep the Campers on the lot.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #5

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
We had our 13' Scamp down at our local mechanics (and used car dealer) to have the brakes and bearings checked and it was there for a few days. He had so many people coming in asking for a price that he has been trying to figure out a way to get a few for resale in the new dealership he is building up the road. He figures that if nothing else, it will get customers onto the lot.
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
The hour we bought our 1973 amerigo, we had an offer of what we'd paid for it when we stopped at a rest area...they hadn't even looked inside.

Now, with it gutted and under repairs, frame at the shop, sitting belly on boards on the driveway, today we just got another offer, once it's redone. Kind of made our moment, and reinforces our initial reaction that it is, indeed, of interest and cute. These eggs are intriguing! People are very interested. Yesterday Paul had two people come over and talk about it...one thought it was some kind of gondola for taking out on Lake Washington. And that was in the pouring rain!
And, no, not for sale at this point. We can only win by going forward.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
When we had a yard sale I had to put a sign in BIG letters on the trailer to stop people from trying to buy it

NO
IT'S
NOT

It left me shaking my head because they still asked.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:38 PM   #8

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We keep a tally

So far 19 folks have knocked on our door asking if "that little trailer is for sale" .

We are thinking of putting a permanent " not for sale" sign on it!

Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #9

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Every time we have ours in front of the house preparing for a trip or working on it, we have people stop and offer to buy it. One guy even came back twice in one day!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Well it has started again. With one trailer in storage for the winter and the other in the garage - there have been no trailers out front until this weekend. I picked up the boler and brought it home so I can get some more work done on it.

The same guy on a scooter has come buy twice since. The first time he said he really wanted to buy my trailer. I told him - sorry it is not for sale. This morning he came by again, seriously thinking an offer would help change my mind.

Forum rules won't allow me to post my full response to his incredible offer of $200. But I did indicate that amount would not even pay for the tires on it.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Well it has started again. With one trailer in storage for the winter and the other in the garage - there have been no trailers out front until this weekend. I picked up the boler and brought it home so I can get some more work done on it.

The same guy on a scooter has come buy twice since. The first time he said he really wanted to buy my trailer. I told him - sorry it is not for sale. This morning he came by again, seriously thinking an offer would help change my mind.

Forum rules won't allow me to post my full response to his incredible offer of $200. But I did indicate that amount would not even pay for the tires on it.
That's a great story, Roy. People are funny.

Years ago, I had a beat-up pickup for sale and I priced it accordingly. I advertised it as a beat-up pickup for $600 or something... the very first guy who came called and asked a lot of questions first. I patiently explained that it was a rust bucket, and could use a LOT of work, but that it ran and was a great truck for hauling branches to the dump... which was all I used it for. He came a couple of hours later, and then actually swore at me because he thought it was going to be in better shape. The next guy who came looked at it for two minutes and handed me cash.

You just never know about people.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL When I first got my Scamp I had number of people stop in or leave a post-it note on it asking if it was for sale... over the years that died off. When I recently had the house for sale a couple of people coming to look at the house left notes on it asking if it came with the house.

BUT since the Scamp disappeared last week and people see that I am home & not out camping I have had several stop in and ask where the Scamp is. All upset I did not tell them I was going to sell it. Apparently they had been watching it for years just waiting for me to put a for sale sign on it - which I never did.

I once stopped in with the Scamp at a Subaru dealer in downtown Seattle to pick up a roof rack. While I was parked out front and had been in the parts department for about half an hour (they where having troubles finding it) one the salesmen came in and said if I was going be much longer I should move the trailer and car to the back of the building as customers were more interested in the trailer than the cars they were trying to sell. But then the sales manager came in and suggest I take my time as he wanted it to stay out there as he felt it was helping to sell a new Subaru or two. Asked if I could leave it for a week or two. LOL
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #13

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Strange post Stude...

sorry Stude but what you reference is quite contrary to my experience....so I have to reply....

towed it behind V8 w/700r4 not a good combination, trailer is 8' wide and in the wind not fun slows one down to a drag. It's no secret that BFs are big and square....that's why they are big inside, comparatively speaking...but a V8 wasn't enough ? Really? What's in your class C, I wonder ?

Other problem as it was first time towing this type of trailer on should have all the bells and whistles to stop the sway problem.
I have a 97 and never experienced any hint of sway. Pre 90 models were built a little differntly (ownership changed in 1990)....but, regardless, sway is a product of not enough tounge weight...caused by where weight is located in the trailer and/or towing with the hitch too high off the ground (not level). The bells and whistles can stay on the shelf.

They are quite common up here and are a hard sell in British Columbia, but now they are out of business from the 2008 Crash. But are not building campers again and possibly some other stuff. They cannot keep the Campers on the lot. A hard sell ? Really ?...on Kijiji right now, in ALL of BC, there are two 17s offered for sale....an eighties model with no awning or shower (hot water) for 7500 and a 2001 model for 16000 dollars !!!! IME fair priced ones go real fast.....meanwhile on the same site are dozens of BF truck campers....so I don`t get it

in 2005...a new model began production, the 17.5....it is a 4 season trailer, heavier and quite expensive...it is still in production...along with a whole line-up of products. I was under the impression that 2005 is when BF went into receivership (following a not so successful production facility start up in the states in the late nineties)....but I could be wrong on that last one...details are hard to confirm.

cheers, F
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
They are quite common up here and are a hard sell in British Columbia, but now they are out of business from the 2008 Crash. But are not building campers again and possibly some other stuff. They cannot keep the Campers on the lot.
Stude

Here in Vancouver they tend to sell fast....

Also you may want to check out Bigfootrv.com. They only stopped production for a few years and have been back at it under new ownership again for a number of years now.

They are building what was their base biz for years truck campers and trailers in the 17.5', 21' and 25' in various layouts. The only thing they are not building that they were building for a few years prior to closing up is the BIG Motorhomes ... which was what basically what took them down when the US economy crashed in about 05 but back in biz since early 2010.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1984
Roy, after over 22 years of towing our Boler around we are askiing ourselves, how much longer?? Then we answer ourselves, .....at least another year. At least another trip. At least a few more memories. At least another bolerama. At least another........ It's been painted, maintained, updated and well taken care of. I wouldn't even know what value to put on the happiness it's given us or the friends we've made because of having it. Someday we will pass it on to another family to enjoy the love it gives.

BUT NOT YET!
Jim

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #16

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
I had two Scamps, a 78 and an 84 and I had towed them from the back of the house to the front driveway so I could give them a good sprucing up. I had to paint a huge NOT FOR SALE sign and but it between them to keep people from bothering me.

Later when I decided to sell the 84 people would stop or answer an ad I had on Craigslist and get all offended at how much I was asking for it. They just didn't KNOW what these rare little eggs are worth.

I did finally sell it but still have the 78. It is not exactly road worthy anymore (could be with some TLC) but for now it is my grand daughters playhouse after her daddy and I put many thousands of miles on it while he was a kid. That was is in the family to stay.

Jaye
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
It's interesting the number of people that try to buy your Scamp. I bought new at end of 2005 so it's over 10 years old. The first one came before the first trip. Since then I've been gawked at and followed. One guy followed me for about 50 miles before I stopped for lunch. I stepped out of the truck and there he was.
I stopped at rest area in Northern CA, went back to trailer got something out of it with trailer door open, when I started to leave the trailer there was a line of close to a dozen people wanting see inside. As the last one was leaving a lady came running across the parking lot yelling "I was to see too".
The most recent was yesterday a couple of guys stopped in front of driveway and offered me $5,000 for. I laughed at them, told it's not for sale and if it you would need more than double that.
Every outing has resulted in at least one tour. So it goes and goes.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #18

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
There is ALWAYS a price you will take for YOUR trailer in whatever condition it is in so why not price it when someone asks if it's for sale and you really do not want to sell? Price it at STUPID MONEY.

STUPID MONEY is a price where YOU will tear their arm off to get paid without giving it a second thought! EVERYTHING (Stuff) you own has a "Stupid Price" at which you will sell and that includes your trailer!

One certainty in life is that your trailer will sell for "Mo Money" when do not want to sell it than when you do want to sell it so take advantage of this situation rather than being a victim of it. It always works that way.

Whenever you are asked if your trailer is For Sale and you DO NOT have a "For Sale" shingle hanging on it say "Yes It Is" & price your trailer STUPID EXPENSIVE.

One of 3 things will happen:

1. The potential buyer will say "Thanks" and walk off without saying much else. That rarely happens.

2. The potential buyer will tell you how "Stupid" your asking price is at which time you tell em "You asked me to sell I didn't ask you to buy. Don't like it don't buy it"! This is what happens in most situations.

3. The potential buyer will PAY YOU and it's time to shop for another trailer AND stick some extra money in your pocket! This happens more times than you can imagine!

In all 3 of the above situations you are a WINNER! Either you still keep your trailer OR you get paid "Stupid Money" for your trailer and waltz off happy shopping for your next useless toy or a new to you trailer. A Win Win situation if I do say so myself!

So YES your trailer is ALWAYS FOR SALE! Especially so when you DO NOT want sell it!!!!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
Similar to what Byron Kinnaman stated we had a number of people wanting to look at our previous Bigfoot 17.5CB while traveling, not so much with our larger Bigfoot 21RB. Although we have hardly used the later. I wonder, is it the size of the trailer or how it's made (molded fiberglass) that attracts so much attention? Do owners of stick built or larger trailers or 5th wheels get similar attention?
Beeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #20

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
After all Paul has put into our 1973 Amerigo, I'm thinking $10,000.

It's going to be OneStepUp from tenting, that is, NO water, NO propane, NO fridge, NO installed stove, all-electric only. Room for a porta-potty, water bottles, an outside butane cooker that matches the décor...a 9" thick twin permanent innerspring mattress and a 7" thick convertible settee/twin bed.

Is that stupid enough? Anyone? Or should I get stupider?

We don't want to sell it at this point...everything in it is going to be brand new except the few vintage things we were able to salvage, clean up, refurbish, and reuse, like the original lights...

Good advice. Get a stupid price and be ready just in case. Problem solved no matter how you slice it.

Maybe, though, once people see how we've decorated, they won't even ask. Still, solution #1, we keep our trailer.