Sorry Ellpea it's spell check

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:01 AM   #17

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
I think it might be mentally unhealthy to describe oneself as being "really old".
Old 10-20-2016, 04:20 AM   #18

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Talking you don't need a reason...

Good morning friends!
ohhh what wonderful stories & great tips you both have,& this one -was really great and so very encouraging! Thank you for sharing your lives and adventures here with us! I'm sure many, (we sure do) draw tremendous enthusiasm from following your travels. We're in the early stages-pre retirement,& bought our Lil Snoozy & enjoying making it our own. We're oh so ready for the trip to the first ever rally in South Carolina (upcoming in just over two weeks). Your doc sounds like a dream & of course, he's excited to have such proactive patients! You're great role models for all of us newbies & I just wanted to send warmest hugs & deep thanks to you!! Hope to meet you both one day!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:45 AM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I think it might be mentally unhealthy to describe oneself as being "really old".
We're quite happy to be 'really old'. It started with our two boys, they never recognize that we are old. Of course they love our life and ache for our freedom.

I think it's important that people, particularly your children, recognize your reality. Parents need to prepare and children need to recognize that there's a point they need to step in and help out, physically and with decisions.

Our age doesn't stop or discourage us but rather it does remind us of our limitations.

Our doctor asked about our vision, wanting us to get an eye test every year. Ginny said our night vision was not as sharp and we generally avoid night driving. When we drive at night we both pay super attention and drive slower. (Though honestly Ginny always stays awake, night or day, and pays equal attention to traffic.)

The aging is interesting, some parts of us have degraded faster than we might have imagined, hearing and vision, others have gotten better, strength, knees and weight. The latter are something we've been able to do something about, that actually everyone can improve. It's nice to know everything is not out of one's ability. (Life is a series of choices, make good ones.)

Yesterday I spent an hour talking with a special human who knows a lot more than me about the state of the nation. His thoughts and comments left me spinning, actually all night spinning. Giving me all kinds of topics to investigate. One of the best parts of our lives is the opportunity to learn. Our road time has been marvelous thinking time. If I could reverse my life I would start off living in a small trailer. Better late than never.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:20 AM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Norm, I said it before and will say it again, you both are an inspiration. We are on a one way street, with everything that the term implies, and we owe ourselves and others to make the best of it.
Our doctor told me once, watch out for any fast change. Gradual aging is normal and we all do it at different rates. Eye checks, yes, every year! And ruminating on interesting ideas during our 12 hour long days keeps me awake and calm.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Norm, I'm glad for both of you. I knew about the prostrate, most men die with it not from it, it seems Alzheimers now has taken the lead. But with camping and traveling you will constantly exercise your mind as well as body, which increases your longevity.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:14 AM   #22

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
I always thought "really old" was about 10 years older than you are yourself...

8)

BEST
Kai
Old 10-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
This is really old
Attached Thumbnails
14364722_1277926862250005_5424619754014029925_n.jpg  
Old 10-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #24

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This is really old
That's really funny Jim. Many of the people we went to high school with do seem really older than us. None of them choose the RV lifestyle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Our doctor asked about our vision, wanting us to get an eye test every year. Ginny said our night vision was not as sharp and we generally avoid night driving. When we drive at night we both pay super attention and drive slower. (Though honestly Ginny always stays awake, night or day, and pays equal attention to traffic.)

The aging is interesting, some parts of us have degraded faster than we might have imagined, hearing and vision, others have gotten better, strength, knees and weight. The latter are something we've been able to do something about, that actually everyone can improve. It's nice to know everything is not out of one's ability. (Life is a series of choices, make good ones.)
Along with prostate cancer, if you are lucky enough to grow older you will also get cataracts. They also sneak up on you. In my case they affected my night vision first, and while driving to State College, PA in 2007 I noticed that the green signs on the interstate highway just blended into the green background of the forests. My optometrist had already told me that I would probably need cataracts in 5 years, so he must have seen something. After that trip my family doctor told me to see an ophthalmologist. That Dr. diagnosed very light cataracts on the back of the lens but directly in the center and they scattered the light enough to blur similar colors and added a yellow tint. I got a Crystal Lens implant in my left eye and it was truly an OMG experience. Then for the next three years my right eye didn't qualify enough for insurance to pay for the surgery but I could see the difference in colors between each eye. I finally got the right eye done after three years and can see distance very well but I can also read very tiny print and can even see my fingerprints. Now I never use reading glasses. I have the Crystal Lens rev. B in my left eye and rev.C in my right. Rev C is slightly better but both work very well.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:28 AM   #26

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Norm. Tell your doc that you want a PSA. My doc routinely does one for me each year. This year it was elevated so he told me to see my urologist. I did and he did a biopsy and cancer was there. My son and I spent an hour with him going over all the possibilities. I opted for close monitoring. That's psa and office visit every three or four months. He said my options would be the monitoring, radiation, or hormone treatment which he said I would NOT like. He said that most men my age (80) die with prostate cancer and not because of it. He says it's very difficult to remove the prostate without causing some degree of incontinence. At my age I travel all over the country with my Escape 19, sometimes with my lady friend, and I just bought a new almost 35 foot stickie which I will take to AZ and leave there as my winter home. I'll continue to travel, go camping, winter in AZ as long as my body allows it. At this point I'm in very good health.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-24-2016, 05:58 AM   #27

Florida
The Downward Facing DOg

We're home in FL and back to our normal routine with one addition, the Downward Facing Dog (DFD) Yoga position. Here we are at 74 trying to do something we haven't been able to do in probably 50 years... or more.

Both Ginny and I added it to our exercise routines yesterday.,, wow really hard. It will take us weeks to do this one the correct way. We are simply not flexible enough to get this right without a lot of work but Ginny wants to improve her strength and I can see it will help.

Yesterday we watched the Patriots football game.. really our first television in seven months. We watched the punter kick, that guy could easily do the DFD. He can literally kiss his knee, his kicking leg is literally parallel to his chest, just amazing flexibility.

I guess if we can happily live in our little Scamp for 310 days in a row, we can do this as well. Another little life challenge.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-24-2016, 06:59 AM   #28

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We're quite happy to be 'really old'. It started with our two boys, they never recognize that we are old. Of course they love our life and ache for our freedom.

I think it's important that people, particularly your children, recognize your reality. Parents need to prepare and children need to recognize that there's a point they need to step in and help out, physically and with decisions.

Our age doesn't stop or discourage us but rather it does remind us of our limitations.

Yesterday I spent an hour talking with a special human who knows a lot more than me about the state of the nation. His thoughts and comments left me spinning, actually all night spinning. Giving me all kinds of topics to investigate. One of the best parts of our lives is the opportunity to learn. Our road time has been marvelous thinking time. If I could reverse my life I would start off living in a small trailer. Better late than never.
Talking about vision, I am going to be 72 in a month or so and i just had cataract surgery in both eyes. It took most of the summer with the scheduling and waiting. Anyhow i feel as though i was reborn again, everything is so clear, the sky is so blue, what a beautiful world i forgot we lived in. Night time driving is very good, lights and glare are gone. I do not have to worry about getting home before dark anymore. So if you have to have it done move on it with out fear, life will be a whole lot bigger world. Carl