NW Winter Camping - tell me I'm crazy! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #21

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
You can find cheap with electric in the winter. I am currently at Sutton Campground just a couple miles north of Florence Oregon with an electric site. It was 10 bucks with my Golden Gimp card. Its a Forest Service park.

Siuslaw National Forest - Sutton Campground

I am not as fond of this stretch of the coast as I am the southern regions, so I am only here for the nite, but I am the ONLY one here. If I wanted to explore the area more, I would certainly remain here for a few days.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:53 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Ray I can honestly say I have never thought I would see Florida and the term winter camping used in the same discussion! ROFL What do you need to do to prep for such a trip. Turn the AC off? :-)
Not yet, Pensacola had a high of 86 yesterday.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:57 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Ray---now that sounds like my kind of "winter" camping! Lucky!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #24

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Oregon State Parks on the coast are wonderful in the winter. Cheaper, less crowded and full hook-ups. Carl G. Washburne is our favorite.
Bill&Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Ray - I was expecting that response! LOL You need to come up and visit and I will take you for a week-end trip to Whistler where you can have fun skiing and test out your real winter camping skills!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:36 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Ray - I was expecting that response! LOL You need to come up and visit and I will take you for a week-end trip to Whistler where you can have fun skiing and test out your real winter camping skills!
No thanks. My wife and I grew up in cold country and have no inclination of going back except for an occasional brief trip to visit or see the turning leaves, (the one thing we truly miss about the North). We still have our cross country skis that we bought back in the 70s while living in Utah, (I finally used the poles for tomato stakes). My right shoulder still bothers me from the time in the 70s I had to shovel out a huge driveway in Illinois in order to leave on a trip. If we want to experience the cold again we'll sit in front of the open refrigerator for a while - thanks for the offer anyway.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #27

Name: Gianine
Trailer: Burro 17 foot
Texas
OK - so I am planning to live full time in a camper for a year and part of that time will be winter in North Carolina spent at a private campground with elec and water hook up. The camp host said other folks stay there during the winter. It's near major medical centers and many are there for several months of cancer treatment (I'm sure in larger quarters.) I have only camped in a small airstream with friends in the past - and not in winter weather. Now I'm starting to worry if this is a good idea...I was thinking a fiberglass camper would be pretty warm inside with the heat going and 2 dogs. I didn't think about the pipes freezing. What do full timers do? Do all full timers follow the warm weather?
gianine c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You might want to start by reading this topic: Winter Camping
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #29

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
When we were in Montana a week ago there was a camp full of pipline guys. Eastern Montana's RV parks are gravel lots with electric. The majority of the campers were big 5th wheels with artic bottoms except one, and I wish I would have taken a picture but it was snowing and blowing, but hey, that's Montana. There was a large dome (rip stop nylon) tent equiped with a satelite dish and gas grill. My husband didn't believe me until I had him drive by one night and there were lights on so someone was in there. Talk about not wanting to get up in the middle of the night or morning.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote