NY Times review may interest folks here - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2007, 11:53 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How about a replacement for the GM Yukon that acutally has more cargo space, goes 0 to 60 in 8.1 seconds, and gets 18 mpg in the country and 26 mpg on the highway.

The vehicle surrenders some towing power compared to the Yukon. dropping from 7500/8200 pounds to 4,500 pounds. However, that's a nice figure for some of these 16 and 17-foot fiberglass trailers I see here because it gives a bit of an edge over vehicles that tow 3,500 pounds.

Like the Yukon, it ain't cheap but the NY Times report says this vehicle, which comes in a Saturn edition also, looks comparable with the best from Japan.

For the review see:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/25/automobi...ws/25AUTOS.html
Frank G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
"For free access to this article and more, you must be a registered member of NYTimes.com"
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
I registered with the NY Times many years ago and its spam-free, but for those wanting privacy there's always: http://www.bugmenot.com/ or the Firefox Add-on for BugMeNot which I now use http://roachfiend.com/archives/2005/02/07/bugmenot/
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Lee: So what's the problem? It's just like signing up for a forum. If you sign up it's free and you don't even have to type a password in each time if you check the right box. I've never received a single e-mail from the Ties either. I read it free all the time. Same goes for Washington Post and Philly Inquirer.

The Times does have a premium archive service for which you do have to pay. This is a new Times story so you shouldn't be having trouble if you use the link I provided. I did just now and had no problem.

When I came across this article yesterday, i did attempt to access an article on the Mazda3 speed that the Tiimes ran a week ago in the "cars" section. That article DID require membership.

By the way the vehicles getting the rave reviews were the new Saturn Outlook and the GMC Arcadia. The engine is a 6 cylinder.

[
Frank G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If this is the Outlook, I don't think it's really intended as a Yukon (station wagon on truck chassis, called an "SUV") replacement.

GM has decided that minivans are not desirable anymore, so they are building them with swinging (instead of sliding) side doors and bigger tires, and calling them "crossover utility vehicles". Whatever label you use, it's a reasonable size and type (station wagon) of vehicle, and the new GM "Lambda" looks like a decent design (I had a good look at a recent car show).

The article mentions the extra foot of wheelbase these wagons have over the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander. That's because (in front-wheel drive form, anyway) they should be comparing them to the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna (which have the dreaded embarrassment-inducing sliding doors). More wheelbase is good for towing, which is why so many of us are pleased with our minivans for towing our eggs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote