OBD Code Reader - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
OBD Code Reader

I'm going to buy a code reader for my truck, any suggestions? How about a reader that displays my mileage and performance?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
If you have a smartphone, I think someone posted on here not too long ago about a Bluetooth OBD transmitter that has an app that has a lot of features. Sorry I can't provide a link.
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
I have the Scan Gauge II which gives me mileage, , fuel used, coolant temperature, rpm, max speed, avg speed, distance to empty, voltage, intake temp, engine load, and a whole lot more - with 4 of the items on the screen at one time. I tend to use the instant and avg mpg and fuel used to help me drive so as to maximize mpg. And the Scan Gauge II also displays the OBD trouble codes too, although without the on screen detail that my dedicated unit provides. Some units work with diesels too.

Awhile back there was another discussion on the merits of various brands of gauge on this board - can't remember when.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
2X on the Scan Gauge II.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
You could spend lots on this:
The DashDAQ OBD - Cabin Mounted Diagnostic & CarPC System, OBD2 Scan Tool Kits for PC & Palm ~ All OBD ~ and Nothing But OBD

or less on this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ashboard&hl=en
with this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...MNYSGPTV1AJ1FA
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Scan Gage II here also. It is great for my hybrid as it displays battery temperature, battery state of charge, cylinder head temperature, electronics components temperature. Not that this helps you, but modern cars have sensors all over the place and it is neat to be able to read them directly.

Oh, and it works in any car, so I can diagnose codes for other people and reset codes.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I use the Ultra Gauge, anout $60. Used it for two years...works great. The following site provides details on iys functionality.

UltraGauge Support

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Having never used one before, but being quite interested, I did some looking around lately.

Quite a few get good reviews, but I really was drawn to OBDLink MX Scan Tool. It is a bluetooth model.

It gets good reviews, and many say the interface on an Android phone is much better. Has anyone here tried one?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Having never used one before, but being quite interested, I did some looking around lately.

Quite a few get good reviews, but I really was drawn to OBDLink MX Scan Tool. It is a bluetooth model.

It gets good reviews, and many say the interface on an Android phone is much better. Has anyone here tried one?
Looks really good, but costs 2-3 times as much as some of the others and requires a display device. I'm happy with my Scan Gauge II and having 4 items displayed is enough for me, but I might look at this if I was purchasing again. Not so much of a need, but looks like it might be fun.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
I use UltraGauge same as Norm.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
It all depends what you are looking for. the OBD II connection can provide some real time calculated data like fuel economy, performance (to a limited extent), fuel or range remaining, etc.

You can also get a code reader which will read trouble codes set by the ECU, this can help with some diagnostics and these devces also allow you to erase set code.

The final type is an OBD diagnosic or scan tool which will give you everything the code reader does plus real time outputs from all sensors and the ECU, (i.e. temp reading, throttle position sensor, fuel injector pulse width, ...) many of these also alllow for data logging which is a very useful tool when having performance or drivability problems.

Prices on the various units range from less than $100 to well over $1000. You really get what you pay for but if you do not understand the information from the higher price units they would not be worth the cost to you.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
...... if I was purchasing again. Not so much of a need, but looks like it might be fun.
I must admit too a bit of this too. I do like the idea of Somme of the diagnostics too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #13

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
My truck has flashed a few codes lately that I had to run to Checker Auto to have read. Today I got a flyer from Harbor Freight that lists several OBD readers from $59 to $159. I just figured if I'm buying something in that ball park I might as well get something decent that will do more than simply read codes.

What is the difference between the Scan Gauge II and the Scan Gauge e?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The Ultra Gauge displays 6 items per page on three pages. Gauges on a specific page are programmable.

Most interesting to me, the Ultra Gauge sees errors before the car's system reports them. For example we had a couple of spark plug misfires that the Ultra Gauge picked up. It was days later that the car's system reported a spark plug fault. I assume the Ultra gauge reports single faults and the car's have a number it must see before reporting. Plugs had 150,000 miles on them.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
Ultra-Guage

I have recently purchased the Ultraguage and when installed in my 2006 Chevy 1500 pickup, I had problems. When the Ultra is polugged in the anti-theif take over and shuts down the engine. Also the light in the gear shift won't come on, the radio dies and the gas gauge shows empty and the empty light is on. I do hope the Ultusguage people can help me workout my problems, but to say the least right now I'm not all that happy with the device.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I use the Scan Gauge II. I use Blend Mounts to attach the Scan Gauge and the radar detector to the rear view mirror stalk. What with the limited real estate available, the compact design of the Scan Gauge works best for me.
Attached Thumbnails
mirrora.jpg  
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote