Ocracoke NC campground question Please - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #1

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Ocracoke NC campground question Please

I have a question for anyone that has stayed at Ocracoke Campground. Ok I know they don't allow ground fires in the campground. However my friend that's going to be joining us has an above ground fire pit (that has legs and keeps the fire contained off the ground)that he wants to bring. Do you know if theses are allowed in the campground. Thanks

Old 03-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I do not know exactly the reasons but logic would prevail for the following reasons. Most campfires are prohibited for fire reasons, stray spark could spread the fire. In addition bringing in firewood that maybe infested with parasites can cause the spread of those parasites. Neither of these issues exist with a campfire in a can, so to speak. If you are allowed to cook outside with propane then you will probably be okay lighting a propane torch.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #3

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
With the wind out there, I would be reluctant to try. I tried grilling in the standard issue grill out there and even with charcoal saw some embers fly. I think wood would be worse. You can always go to the beach , but there are rules there too as to where you can build them but they were allowed the last time We were there when Sandy ran us off.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #4

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Ted, wood fires definitely aren't allowed except on the beach but, after seeing your post, I called the Park Service HQ at Hatteras to ask about propane campfires. Spoke to three people and have a 'don't know', a 'probably' and a 'pretty sure they're OK if you can cook on them'. The last was from LEO and he said he'd check further and call me back with an official ruling.

I just bought a camp-fire-in-a-can which does have a grill rack feature so will plan to take that if I get an OK. We're coming up your way (Pisgah NF) Easter Sunday for a few days and purchased the CFIAC to use there because of the firewood restrictions.

I'll post back with the ranger's official response.

Al
Old 03-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #5

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Just heard back from the Park Service (specifically a LEO named Mike) and propane fueled campfires such as camp-fire-in-a-can are permitted in the Cape Hatteras NPS campgrounds.

To follow up on legality of off the ground wood fires, one of the Frisco hosts told me last year that a camper was ticketed for having a wood fire in the on site grill.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:59 PM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Thanks I will let my friend know. Ted