October Trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
I've seen subjects like this before and thought I'd call on you good people for help.

We're planning a month's trip back to Charlotte SC from the Oregon Coast this October.

I don't want to "miss anything" worth seeing. We've been to the Black Hills, YellowStone, Grand Canyon, the "central" part of the USA, so would like to see either the northern area, or southern going and coming back.
Any idea/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Will we drive each other nuts in such a confined space for a month?
Thanks
Christine
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
My wife and I get along famously in our 17' Casita. We never feel cramped or crowded.

I've heard that even salesfolk for a fiberglass RV manufacturer who will here remain nameless refer to their 13' models as "divorce machines". Oy!

Good grief on camping suggestions! I could recommend some great Southern places for you to hit, but I don't know what you like, specifically. Beaches? Mountains? Boondocking? Out-of-the-way? Developed?

Definitely see the Great Smoky Mountains National Park if you can hit it when it's not a holiday. Also, do your best to avoid the traffic jam known as Gatlinburg if you don't like sitting in gridlock.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
As Charlotte is in NC, I can't find one in SC., you might want to try driving the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's one of those, gee I wish I lived here drives.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #4

Hmmmm, I better take a closer look at the map. Oh yes, NC......duh, that's the one! Good start!
My husband and I used to be competitve dance skaters...........if that didn't create a divorce situation.......nothing will! I'm sure we'll be just fine
Stuff we like........wilderness, boondocking (2 days at a time..... I do like my shower) National Parks, beaches, mountains. NO crowds
Old 07-26-2006, 06:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Well, if you like boondocking, there are MANY National Forest campgrounds that would be perfect for you. Many of them are equipped with hot showers, so you wouldn't have to leave to get cleaned up.

On the other hand, the campgrounds inside the Great Smoky Mountains National Forest do not have showers. Flush toilets, yes, but no showers.

Many of the state parks in NC/SC/TN/VA/GA/AL have full bath facilities with showers, and most have electric and water hookups. If you have questions about specific state parks in my stomping grounds, I can likely answer them.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Hi Christine,

As Bob pointed out, we've got some great areas for boondocking in the National Forests and Smokies of western NC. The Horse Cove campgound (Nantahala NF) is one of our favorites and there are some awesome dispersed sites along Forest Service Rd 81 which follows Santeelah Creek. October is usually prime time for visiting our mountains.

If you're gonna drive all the way to Charlotte, you might as well add another four hundred miles and visit the NC Outer Banks. Big difference between the coast of Oregon and what we have here. The Park Service campgrounds on Cape Hatteras National Seashore close around the ninth of October but there are several private ones still open. I'd suggest Ocean Waves or Frisco Woods.

Have a safe trip and be sure to keep us posted as you head east.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:30 AM   #7

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Quote:
My wife and I get along famously in our 17' Casita. We never feel cramped or crowded.

I've heard that even salesfolk for a fiberglass RV manufacturer who will here remain nameless refer to their 13' models as "divorce machines". Oy!

Good grief on camping suggestions! I could recommend some great Southern places for you to hit, but I don't know what you like, specifically. Beaches? Mountains? Boondocking? Out-of-the-way? Developed?

Definitely see the Great Smoky Mountains National Park if you can hit it when it's not a holiday. Also, do your best to avoid the traffic jam known as Gatlinburg if you don't like sitting in gridlock.
What would the difference be in space between the 13 and 16 foot, 18 square feet? If that slight difference accounts for a divorce machine, I'd say the marriage wasn't in great shape to start! Besides, what salesperson doesn't prefer a larger commission.

Christine, I wouldn't hesitate to take my husband on month or more trip. In fact, we're thinking about going on a 4 month trip through the South with the goal to make it to a different university for a football game each weekend! We had such a great time at Alabama when they played Tennessee, we feel we have to do this!
Have a great time, it sounds like you're off to a good start!
Cheers!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I highly recommend seeing Glacier Park in Montana. Here is a great private campground that is about 1 mile outside the west entrance.

Meadow Mountain Campground
9125 Hwy. 2 East
Hungry Horse, MT

Private campground, beautiful; wooded setting; quiet; very clean; nice owners; full hook-ups available.
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #9

This is wonderful. Thank you...........keep it coming folks.............I'm getting soooooo excited!
Christine
Old 07-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #10

Trailer: 87 U-Haul CT13
Quote:
In fact, we're thinking about going on a 4 month trip through the South with the goal to make it to a different university for a football game each weekend! We had such a great time at Alabama when they played Tennessee, we feel we have to do this!
College football, now you're speakin' my language! SEC football in the fall is unrivaled, especially (IMHO) at Neyland Stadium. Sitting in the middle of 100,000 fans singing "Rocky Top" in unison makes the hairs on your neck stand up, even if you aren't a UT fan (at least that's what the non-UT fans tell me!).

Also, IMHO, Tennessee State Parks are second to none. Nearly every one with a campground has bathhouses with hot showers and water & electric hookups, and the rates are in the $15-$19 range. But, my one recommendation is to stay in Cades Cove in the GSMNP. By October, most of the crowds have died down (at least in the campground). As Bob said, there are no hookups, but the bathhouses do have flush toilets and hot water (but no showers). Coming from the west, you can avoid the tourist trap we call Gatlinburg by coming through Townsend into the park.
jasoncarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
I went up to Glacier N.P. this past June and stayed at Mountain Meadow Campground. I agree with Nancy, great place and very nice owners. I would highly recommend Mountain Meadow and a trip to Glacier N.P.

I have some pictures on my Webshots page, just click the link in my signature.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:29 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Christine! Here's a YES vote for long-term travel in a 13 footer ... we spent our first "snow bird" winter (7 months) wandering around in SoCal, SoAriz (mostly near Quartzsite) and SoNM. We loved it so much, we have sold our home (escrow opened yesterday) and will be full-timing (a la Pete D) by Labor Day! You think YOU are getting excited ... each morning DH smiles and asks "can we hook up & go today?" After all, you are so busy each day, you only sleep in the Egg anyway, right?

That said, we too, have only explored the 'midsection' of the US. We can second the remarks on Glacier Park as a must-see - we camped in the FS CG inside the park, near the most beautiful pristine (and chilly) lake - awesome! And you might try stopping at one of the CG's around Flathead Lake ... also lovely country.

Wishing you safe journeys and many wonderful experiences - hope we'll see ya down the road one of these days. L 'n D

« Porta-bote | Towing »