Odd Looking Camper Trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You can correct the hayrack wander problem by simply increasing the tow-in. They have an easily accessible tierod.
Hey Floyd! I think you mean TOE-IN
Anyway, the picture shows a wagon style steering. The whole dolly turns with the tonque. There is no tie rod. tie rods are used with automobile style steering. Could this be a converted horse trailer that used to be a gooseneck style? In any case I doubt that it would be safe at highway speeds.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that there is a nomenclature issue here.
I Believe that Tie-rod is the correct term for the tube, with adjustable ends, that connects the left and right wheels together to set tow-in and keep them tracking together. That set up is really no different that than that semi with doubles on the freeway. I'm sure it was factory built that way. High trailer weight, very low tongue weight.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Hey Floyd! I think you mean TOE-IN
Anyway, the picture shows a wagon style steering. The whole dolly turns with the tonque. There is no tie rod. tie rods are used with automobile style steering. Could this be a converted horse trailer that used to be a gooseneck style? In any case I doubt that it would be safe at highway speeds.
I do mean toe-ln you are correct.
However I don't recall seeing a hayrack built as you describe(like a child's coaster wagon) since maybe they were horse drawn.

While I am sure some are made in that manner, every one I have used or bought for fleet use, had a stationary axle(frame member) with TIE-rods and a steering mechanism like this one...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #24
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have a wagon I built on running gear similar to Floyds picture. Backing up is an adventure. Backing my trailer is childs play by comparison. And mine has tie rods. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #25

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I have a wagon I built on running gear similar to Floyds picture. Backing up is an adventure. Backing my trailer is childs play by comparison. And mine has tie rods. Raz
That's when you want a hitch ball on the front bumper of your tow vehicle!
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Paul, that's cheating . l can do it with my tractor but it takes some work. I've seen a farmer back up two in tandem. Real skill there. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #27

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
The exterior shape (high in the rear) was common in the 1980s for bunk house models with the bunk beds being in the rear of the trailer. It created a great rear bedroom isolated from the forward section of the living area....great when children went to bed before adults on a camping trip. Rear sleeping room most always had a door separating the two areas. They did have a standard hitch and not that "hay-wagon" look that this odd unit has.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #28

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Elevated bunk areas are still common in what are called "Toy Boxes". The entire back becomes a ramp for, basically, a garage for Quads etc. The beds all fold up against the walls and ceiling.The one I occasionally work on across the street from me is soooo big that we could roll my 13' Hunter inside it and haul it off.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:57 AM   #29

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Paul, that's cheating . l can do it with my tractor but it takes some work. I've seen a farmer back up two in tandem. Real skill there. Raz
Yes, if you pay attention to what you're doing, it's not TOO bad with a tractor. But, it's pretty nearly hopeless with a regular car or truck. I've never tried doing tandems. I'll have to add that to my Tim-The-Tool-Man list of things to try sometime...
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #30

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
If you ever worked on a farm and tried to back up a four wheel wagon, you would just shudder to see this.

Steve
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #31

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Where are you from Steve? I'm Wendy from Sanborn, Niagara County.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote