Off Topic - Air travel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm flying to Hawaii on Monday, leaving Vancouver BC and have packed a couple bottle of wine. Having never brought wine into the States (only out) is this going to be a problem and will they (customs) take it away from me?? I wouldn't like to loose this wine as it is hard to get and only so many bottles are produced each year.

Neil
McBride, Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #2

Quote:
I'm flying to Hawaii on Monday, leaving Vancouver BC and have packed a couple bottle of wine. Having never brought wine into the States (only out) is this going to be a problem and will they (customs) take it away from me?? I wouldn't like to loose this wine as it is hard to get and only so many bottles are produced each year.

Neil
I may be wrong but i don't think they let you take liquids on board a plane any more.Personally i would leave them at home.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Chester is right, in that liquids in containers larger than 90 ml are no longer allowed through security in Canadian airports. Packed in luggage is another thing entirely, and I would check with the airline.

Customs is yet another issue. We once drove into the U.S. from British Columbia with a couple dozen bottles of BC estate wines, on our way back to Alberta via Washington, Idaho, and Montana. U.S. Customs was going to charge us one of the usually applicable fees (and skip the other because we promised not to leave any in the U.S.); however, someone caused a security alarm so the Customs agent lost interest in us and just waved us through. I believe that the wine would be allowed, with some taxes and duties paid, but again I would call to ask. I called U.S. Customs once about another item and found that they were quite helpful; they don't want problems at the border any more than travelers do.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Chester is right, in that liquids in containers larger than 90 ml are no longer allowed through [b]security in Canadian airports. Packed in luggage is another thing entirely, and I would check with the airline.

[b]Customs is yet another issue. We once drove into the U.S. from British Columbia with a couple dozen bottles of BC estate wines, on our way back to Alberta via Washington, Idaho, and Montana. U.S. Customs was going to charge us one of the usually applicable fees (and skip the other because we promised not to leave any in the U.S.); however, someone caused a security alarm so the Customs agent lost interest in us and just waved us through. I believe that the wine would be allowed, with some taxes and duties paid, but again I would call to ask. I called U.S. Customs once about another item and found that they were quite helpful; they don't want problems at the border any more than travelers do.

Thanks for your advice, I was going to pack the wine on my check in luggage, I will call the Airline.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
You are allowed one bottle of alchohol per person before you pay duty. Yes, it must be checked to take on the plane.

If you are bringing two bottles, pack one in your travel partners luggage.

Signed, seasoned tequilla smuggler.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:51 PM   #6

Quote:
You are allowed one bottle of alchohol per person before you pay duty. Yes, it must be checked to take on the plane.

If you are bringing two bottles, pack one in your travel partners luggage.

Signed, seasoned tequilla smuggler.

Thanks you were correct, this is what I got from US Customs only minutes ago.

Alcoholic Beverages
Nonresidents who are at least 21 years old may bring in, free of duty and Internal Revenue Tax, up to one liter of alcoholic beverage--beer, wine, liquor--for personal use. Quantities above the one-liter limitation are subject to duty and internal revenue tax.

In addition to federal laws, you must also meet state alcoholic beverage laws, which may be more restrictive than federal laws. This means that if the state in which you arrive permits less liquor, wine, or beer than you have legally brought into the United States, that state's laws apply to your importation of alcoholic beverages for personal use
Old 01-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Be sure to pack them in good plastic zip-lock style bags. Don't want to get to Hawaii and find all your clothes are now permanently stained red if the cork comes out or the bottle breaks.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote