Oh no, more crowded campgrounds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Oh no, more crowded campgrounds

In the ultra-modern age of virtual reality, online shopping and hot yoga, the old-school pastime of RV touring just happens to be booming.
Sales of recreational vehicles are at genuinely never-before-seen record levels. And buyers are getting younger. The RV category includes both motorhomes and trailers of all sizes.
Last year, 430,000 recreational vehicles of all kinds were sold, according to the RV Industry Association, an increase of 15% over the year before. And sales have been rising year after year following a one-year decline in 2009, during the financial crisis.
Some of that has to do with low gas prices and easy credit...

Click here for More at CNN; I wonder if its fake news.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
https://news.google.com/news/search/...n?hl=en&ned=us

Considering that a quick search of Google news turned up other reputable sources with similar stories I have no reason to doubt the information in the CNN story, it does appear to be somewhat based on an industry group press release. However it cites other sources such as Airstream and Ford who makes drive trains used in many motor homes.

Credit is cheap right now which does tend to boost big ticket durable goods purchases for consumers or business.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Too crowded?

A few weeks ago I towed my Compact Jr to Michigan`s upper peninsula.

Stayed at a US forest service rustic campground.

There were 11 sites, all on the edge of a small lake.

$9 a night with a golden pass.

I was the ONLY one There!

Visited another one nearby with 30 sites, only three were occupied.

Then spent 2 nights at a modern state park with full hookups available.

It was about half filled midweek, probably does fill up on summer weekends.

Nice to be retired and not forced to camp on weekends.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #4

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
I just camped on USFS land in the Malheur National Forest in Oregon. Never saw another person during my stay. I say let them sell a gazillion of those 40' diesel pushers and 32' trailers, they'll never be able to stay in the gorgeous and remote campsites that I can zip right into with my Burro. Hooray for small trailers!
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by john madill View Post

John, which state park? Just curious. Probably not McLain...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Hartwick Pines........

Near Grayling in the lower peninsula, midway from home to the central upper peninsula.

I like it because it has three very small lakes for fishing, no power boats to deal with.

All the sites have a paved spot for the camper.

The sites vary from complete sun in a grassy area to lightly wooded to heavily wooded.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mglyons View Post
I just camped on USFS land in the Malheur National Forest in Oregon. Never saw another person during my stay. I say let them sell a gazillion of those 40' diesel pushers and 32' trailers, they'll never be able to stay in the gorgeous and remote campsites that I can zip right into with my Burro. Hooray for small trailers!
Amen!

Besides, concrete pads spaced 12 to 15 feet apart with a motorhome on either side for a view? No thanks, that's not camping.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #8

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
camping US forest in the UP of Michigan

We love the UP. Especially in mid to late August when the bugs along Lake Superior are gone! The camps along the highway going south from Munising are gorgeous along the Indian River.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john madill View Post

garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
We too travel to the UP every Autumn. We like the; Great hiking, Twelve mile beach at Pictured Rocks on Lake Superior, Lake in the Clouds in the Porcupine Mountains, Fall color, crystal clear water, no bugs, many loons, few people, cool nights, sunny days, the Dune Saloon, Presque Isle, Marquette, Empty National Forest campgrounds.

And don't miss Mickey-Lu Bar-B-Q or the Eagle River Baking Company on the way. Really, don't miss these.

Most importantly please don't tell anyone how wonderful the UP is.

john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I was in the UP last week, every campsite I tried was booked, or 1-2 sites only, even with the worst mosquitos I have ever seen. loved the area though
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
Right of Passage

Here in the NC foothills it seems to be a right of passage for the younger generation. I see a lot of trailers bought used twice and set in the yard till it rots. I know of four neighbors right now that have trailers sitting in the yard for years. Our campgrounds get booked up but generally there is room if you book out a week or two and some times there are openings. Holidays you need a month or more notice.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #12

Name: Gary
Trailer: seriously considering
Florida
I don't own a trailer but have been looking. Two concerns: 1) are the campgrounds getting so crowded that it's not worth spending the $ on a trailer and 2) the HUGE increase in production in response to demand: is that likely to affect quality which is often already "spotty"?
dgriffin661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #13

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgriffin661 View Post
I don't own a trailer but have been looking. Two concerns: 1) are the campgrounds getting so crowded that it's not worth spending the $ on a trailer and 2) the HUGE increase in production in response to demand: is that likely to affect quality which is often already "spotty"?
You can't rush build a fiberglass trailer. They are hand molded one at a time. Production wait times are already in the 6 month area for new orders. You can get sloppy with the other components, but the shell has it's own timeframe.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
Quality Sucks

IMHO quality is in the toilet, just depends how picky you are. Don't expect new car quality in a TT, fit and finish is terrible. If I new how quality was on my 2017 Casita, I would have never bought a new one. Oliver is having some of the same issues from what I hear from other owners, same with Airstream. Stick built trailers are built really cheap so only expect a limited life out of them.
I will never buy another new TT, not worth dealing with customer service and having to take my trailer in for repair to some place 40 miles away. I have had over 20 warranty issues that I just repaired or replaced myself.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
IMHO quality is in the toilet, just depends how picky you are. Don't expect new car quality in a TT, fit and finish is terrible. If I new how quality was on my 2017 Casita, I would have never bought a new one. Oliver is having some of the same issues from what I hear from other owners, same with Airstream. Stick built trailers are built really cheap so only expect a limited life out of them.
I will never buy another new TT, not worth dealing with customer service and having to take my trailer in for repair to some place 40 miles away. I have had over 20 warranty issues that I just repaired or replaced myself.
I have to agree , the quality control on ALL travel trailers is far below where it can and should be. One would expect that when you spend up to $60 K on a trailer especially a small FG trailer that you should not need to spend half your summer fixing factory defects or flaws.
Even if the problem is covered under warranty , it is still a PITA and a waste of our time to have to drag the trailer in to repair something that should have been right to begin with.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Oh no, more crowded campgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgriffin661 View Post
Agree with what has already been said re quality. It is a general problem with RVs, not just molded fiberglass. It is common to have a number of assembly defects to deal with. And yes, sometimes it's just less hassle to fix them yourself. Most will not leave you dead in the water in the middle of a trip.

Used can be a good alternative to new. A late-model used molded trailer won't be much cheaper than new, but the new bugs are generally worked out, and many have some nice upgrades. If it works for your camping style, a simple, basic trailer will likely have fewer issues than a full-featured trailer. Ours was four years old with a few minor dings on the exterior and a like-new interior.

I still think molded fiberglass is the best option. You won't have leaking seams or rotting walls to deal with, and their strong resale value means you won't lose your shirt if you decide in the end that RVing just isn't for you. I would certainly consider buying a new molded fiberglass trailer if I couldn't find the right used one.

I haven't seen a big change in campground availability over the last 3-4 years in spite of the hype about RV sales. Popular parks in peak season generally require reservations, but if you plan ahead, you can get a site. And if you seek out less well-known places and/or camp mid-week or in the off-peak season, it is still possible to travel on short notice or even without reservations.

We have a favorite beach campground in San Diego County. As a homeschooling family we have more flexibility, and we've never had a problem getting a reservation in May or September during the week. What we have saved in hotels has already paid for our trailer and then some. None of the hotels we can afford are right on the beach like our campground is, and our children cannot roam and play as freely in a hotel as in a campground.

So all in all, I think RV ownership is great!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #17

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes, campgrounds are getting more crowded, BUT.... the crowds seem to go to the same places. National Parks, getting a campsite can be near to impossible, better plan ahead, like six months or more. Meanwhile, some lesser known parks are lightly used. We went to Zion this May, forget getting a campsite there. So we camped at a state park close by, where sites were readily available....

Yesterday, we made reservations 60 days in advance at our favorite city campground. The campground is small, and reservations open up exactly 60 days in advance. I got up at 5AM to make my reservations. Of the sites we like, only three were left.....

Camping anymore takes more planning ahead. Should you get a camper? Sure! But trips need to be planned.

FWIW, I find hotels are more full than they used to be too. The last minute trips we used to take are a thing of the past. Sure, in the off season, anything is possible. But in prime time, stuff is full.

While we can lament the quality of RVs, good molded trailers far out last their tow vehicles, or even several tow vehicles.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
We spent the end of April through the end of May camping in TX, MS, TN, GA, NC, KY, IL and MO. It was a mix of commercial, state parks and COE campgrounds. The only full campground was Unicoi State Park outside of Helen, GA. Many were almost empty, Trace State Park outside of Tupelo, MS and Big South Fork NRRA (COE) were two nice campgrounds that were almost empty. It depends on when you camp and where you camp.

As far as quality issues with Oliver, there were a few issues when they ramped up production but those have been addressed. Quality is there, fit and finish are good. Fiberglass is the way to go. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote