Oh what a night! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Hmmmmm, I am rethinking of wanting to go south for the winter!
Yikes! Snakes, IGUANAs , allagators.
Snow is not looking so bad tonight. LOL
I am sooooo with you Karalyn! LOL... Yep I can't think of much that stirs around in the snow other than deer and elk.

Ed, I would have had a heart attack! And your probably right about jumping out of the trailer after something like that happens with out investigating first.

I guess, Florida's got them selfs a new State Pet (formally roaches! IMHO)

Old 11-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #16

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Quote:
Attachment 24959

I guess the real problem in Florida is the pythons that people are setting loose, as well as the monkeys from movie shoots.
Actually that is why the iguana's are also running rampant, Xpets, they sure are ugggly

Old 11-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #17

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
Angry

holy hannah!! i sure don't want to run into one of these critters when i head down to florida in march!!! are they dangerous??? i also do not want to have any close encounters of a snake, either. we did see alligators on our last trip---at st. george island state park, but i do believe if i heard an iguana scratching around on top of my trailer, i surely would stay inside!!
yikes!!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #18

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
holy hannah!! i sure don't want to run into one of these critters when i head down to florida in march!!! are they dangerous??? i also do not want to have any close encounters of a snake, either. we did see alligators on our last trip---at st. george island state park, but i do believe if i heard an iguana scratching around on top of my trailer, i surely would stay inside!!
yikes!!
Scratching around was only after it slammed into the roof from above!
Once I got back inside it didn't take me long to wonder what the hell I had just done?
The logic of running outside in the middle of the night armed as I was escapes me now but it seemed like the thing to do at the time?

From what I have read since,they are not known to attack unless cornered or during mating season if they are males and think you are another male iguana....which during mating season they often do seem to think.
Alligators on the other hand seem to look for an opportunity to attack.

According to the Guatemalan workers on the job site I was working on they make good eating too.
Another guy told me that they are not a protected species down in Florida and they periodically run stories in the paper about how to take them "out".
They suggest a Baseball Bat of all things?
I don't even know if the Bear Mace I had would have had any effect at all.

Oh and they also have a third eye on the back of the head and can see you coming from all directions......CREEPY!

They look pre-historic and though some make pets of them,I can not understand why?
They are also fairly intelligent and mostly vegetarian but have huge choppers,sharp claws and run faster than Alligators which evidently run faster than we think.

No Thanks
Old 11-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #19

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
Real interesting. We have stayed at John Prince 4 times , I believe. My son lives 10 min. away. Looks like we might've camped on exact same site. Never had that happen although I've seen crock's in the water there just off shore. The beach across the water always concerned me.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #20

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Real interesting. We have stayed at John Prince 4 times , I believe. My son lives 10 min. away. Looks like we might've camped on exact same site. Never had that happen although I've seen crock's in the water there just off shore. The beach across the water always concerned me.
Chris
I was in Site #17 in the front of the park without sewer connections.
That part of the park is under construction and I sort of gathered it has been for a while.
The Lakefront sites were not disturbed by this though just the walk to the bath house.

I really like the park and plan to be back there after Turkey Day too.
Despite my Surprise Visitor I am amazed this park is in the middle of Palm Beach County where it is and it was really safe a quiet I thought.

I wondered also about the beach front across the lake and I drove around until I found the road over there-Lake Osborne Drive.
It runs between Lake Worth and Lantana Roads if I remember correctly with Lantana road being the Airport road at the back of the park.

I am told that in the back of the Golf Course off of Forest Hill the Iguanas are so thick they hang from the trees all the time and that is as close as I ever intend to get to the Golf Course for sure.
Evidently they just gravitate to certain spots on their own?

Ed
Old 11-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
Ed
#17 sounds familiar but if we get back, I think I'll get one without trees. I too have seen lots of iguanas there but just not in the campground. I saw them in the small stream that is just to the side of the road just before you get into the campground. Really did like this place except when we were there in the summer. By the time I got dried off from the shower house, I was starting to sweat. Guess I need to use the camper shower and the A/C.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #22

Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
We stayed in John Prince in a pop-up years ago, it was a quiet park. Sounds like it turned into a jungle. The only places we have seen iguanas are the Virgin Islands and Mexico.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #23

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Can you imagine if one of those monsters fell onto the bunkend of a popup?!?! We live in florida (and own a popup) and I can guarantee you I will be looking up and asking questions before parking under a tree from now on, LOL!

Melissa
Old 11-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #24

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Gad, put a saddle on that sucker. I understand some people have these creatures as pets? Thanks, I'll stick with a dog.
I don't think they like that, Donna (the saddle).