Oh what a night! - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #1

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
I just returned to STL from South Florida where I have been working and also discovered my Casita had been vandalized as I mentioned last week.

I cleaned her up and was camped at the John Prince Park in Lake Worth last week right on Lake Osborn in a postcard like setting which I will report on later.

Well Saturday night I am sleeping like a baby when around 3am there is a loud crash on the roof of the trailer and as I am awakened startled the trailer is shaking and there is scratching on the roof!!!!!

I go outside ( which in hindsight I do not recommend) armed with a flashlight and BearMace and see a 5 foot long IGUANA on the roof of the Casita!?!?!

He looks at me sort of suggesting I get the light out of his face and jumps off the side of the roof opposite me.
I run over only to see him racing off toward the water and he is gone.
Now I had already seen a few that big and bigger since I had been there but not from so close-up.
Evidently they hang out in trees and he either jumped or just fell out of the tree next to the trailer?
I will never know. Maybe he was trying to have a moment with the Egg?

All is well that ends well and no real harm done,I can wash my shorts.

Anyway the next day it strikes me as a possible trailer name...........Egguana!

Any thoughts?

Ed

I added pics of the location and featuring the new truck and the iguanas little cousin too
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0789.jpg   IMG_0792.jpg  

IMG_0822.jpg  

Old 11-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Eggless at the moment
I like it. You could put a little lizzard decal on the Casita.

Quote:
I just returned to STL from South Florida where I have been working and also discovered my Casita had been vandalized as I mentioned last week.

I cleaned her up and was camped at the John Prince Park in Lake Worth last week right on Lake Osborn in a postcard like setting which I will report on later.

Well Saturday night I am sleeping like a baby when around 3am there is a loud crash on the roof of the trailer and as I am awakened startled the trailer is shaking and there is scratching on the roof!!!!!

I go outside ( which in hindsight I do not recommend) armed with a flashlight and BearMace and see a 5 foot long IGUANA on the roof of the Casita!?!?!

He looks at me sort of suggesting I get the light out of his face and jumps off the side of the roof opposite me.
Now I had already seen a few that big and bigger since I had been there but not from so close-up.
Evidently they hang out in trees and he either jumped or just fell out of the tree next to the trailer?

Any thoughts?

Ed

Old 11-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #3

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
LOL! Poor you, poor iguana!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
OMG, have to wonder who was scared the most?

Egguana! Love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Iguana.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #5

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Quote:

Any thoughts?

Ed

I added pics of the location and featuring the new truck and the iguanas little cousin too

Egguana sounds good to me, I've lived in Florida for going on 8 years and have never seen one of those boogers, I know one thing, if my wife ever saw it we would be moving back north again (like right now). They say the iguana's are getting to be a problem in Fl. east coast area and Ft Meyers areas, they are not a native, but they say that about most of the people here as well, yankee's you know. Back in Dec of 2004 I went to Grenada for a home build after Hurricane Ivan and that place is crawling with them, big ones. Also had a bunch of mongoose there, brought them in to take care of the snakes, now there is no snakes and the mongoose has taken over the place, have no idea what there food source is now.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #6

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
That's a great name! And a great story.

The first time I ever saw an iguana was on a side street in Mexico. I was just walking along, thinking about something, and suddenly it was just there, right in front of me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iguanasm.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	24957

I'm pretty sure I shrieked out loud
Old 11-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I shrieked out loud
Gad, put a saddle on that sucker. I understand some people have these creatures as pets? Thanks, I'll stick with a dog.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
You really just know when the name is right! Egguana is a really nice and funny name. Good idea of putting on a Iguana decal as well, hihi! What a night for you...
Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
Here's a shot of some of those critters on Allen's cay in the Bahamas.

Name:	iguanas_allan_1_.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	24958
Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #10

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Unhappy

And of course you will have to be insured by Geico!

Here is our first iguana in Puerto Vallarta:

Name:	DCP_0160__Medium_.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	24959

I guess the real problem in Florida is the pythons that people are setting loose, as well as the monkeys from movie shoots.

They imported mongeese? mongooses? into Hawai'i, too I guess, to control the rats. The only thing is rats are nocturnal and mongeese are diurnal, so never the twain shall meet. And now they have both ravaging the environment.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #11

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Right after we moved to Cape Girardeau, Missouri in 1996, we spotted an iguana walking down the sidewalk across the street from our house. Now, these critters are not native to southern MO, so it was probably some college student's pet that escaped or was let free. My daughter and I went across the street to investigate, hauling along a big box. The plan was to put the big guy (about 3-4 feet long) in the box and take him to the local animal rescue office. Nice plan... didn't work. My daughter picked him up and went along nicely UNTIL we bent his tail to fit in the box. Faster than we could react, he took off, up the nearest magnolia tree. He sat up there hissing at us and then jumped down in the elderly neighbors' garden, never to be seen again. Interesting experience!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #12

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
Hmmmmm, I am rethinking of wanting to go south for the winter!
Yikes! Snakes, IGUANAs , allagators.
Snow is not looking so bad tonight. LOL

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #13

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
When I was in college in Miami, Fl (won't say when) there was a character hung out in Key West known as the Iguana Man. He used to hang around with the big ol lizard on his shoulder and entertain the tourists. Think he actually made his living by having folks take pictures with him and the lizard.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #14

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
When I checked in at the gatehouse I asked about the "permanent residents" and was told there are Alligators and Snakes and Raccoons and yes....Iguana.
They even warned me there were some ginormous ones but I thought they were just messing with me.

Well I go through the gate and don't get 50 yards into the park when I see one in the road at least 6 feet long! Looks like a Dragon to me!!! He is walking slowly and looks up at the truck/trailer and just stops there.
I debated honking or getting out but before I can he walks slowly off the road and into the lake. After that I see many smaller ones and the clues that big ones were there(avacado sized clues) but no big ones until that Saturday night.

They say the Gators used to eat them but they are too fast so the Gators have mostly moved to better hunting grounds too.

I did see the biggest,fattest Raccoon I have ever laid eyes on. I was backing in to my spot and in my mirror I see him creeping up to a picnic table and stealing food....with the people standing right there!
He snuck into a tree right behind my trailer and vanished.

The whole thing could have scared me if I dwelled on it.

The amazing thing about the reptiles is the ability to blend in and be completely still until it is time to move. I noticed Iguana several times only after staring at a spot for a long time before realizing there was one right there.

I was told that they rarely attack people and are more scared of us than we are of them?
I can promise you that was not true at 3:30 Saturday morning!

Also that clearly does not hold true for Raccoons.

Great Park,can't wait to go back.

Ed