OK, I am getting old? And I don't know it? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-03-2006, 08:27 AM   #21

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Har! Good article.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:57 AM   #22

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
I found this web chair at http://www.beachchairs.com its a steel frame though.

This is the Mid Back model and sells for $49.95 they also have a high back for $59.95

I asked if they carried an aluminum one but alas they don't.
Attached Thumbnails
masterRIB128.jpg  
1969 25' Airstream Trade Wind (Modified)
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape
I went looking for lightweight last summer because my husband always reminds me that we have to be careful about how much weight we are pulling and found a director's type chair from Coleman -- not cheap but super light. I carried it around downtown from the store, uphill a couple of miles to where I was meeting friends for lunch, then back downhill a mile again to the Seabus, then onto public transit and home. It was sooooo easy to carry. Another good thing is that it is not as low as t he old web chairs -- so if you are really getting older not having to sink down so far is a good thing as well (at least as far as I am concerned). There are lots of other makers of this type of chair but don't know if they are as light. Saw some at dog shows last summer with kennel /dog names embroidered on them. Perhaps I should get some more and put "Great Escape" on them. Anyway, I really love this chair -- looks good, is comfy -- only downside is cost.

Oops, just checked their Canadian website and don't see it anymore. They have a deluxe looking one for about the same price though. Have a look at www.colemancanada.ca.

Rosemary
Rosemary Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #24

Registry
I went to Wally World today for toilet unplugger (My life is so glamorous)

I looked and they had EXACTLY what I want.. if it were not for the steel frame!

I don't get it.. they are exactly the same as the old ones, webbing, height, look.. everything, yet they have "improved" them by making them weigh about 10 lbs each!

They were 24 bones. I didn't get them, it was too frustrating!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:01 AM   #25

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
I don't get it.. they are exactly the same as the old ones, webbing, height, look.. everything, yet they have "improved" them by making them weigh about 10 lbs each!

Gina,

The stats are that the average American is a lot more hefty and broad of beam than they were when the aluminum chair you are looking for was popular. The aluminum jobbies are not weight rated to stand up to the tonnage that most of your contemporaries have to put into them. They bend and collapse under weight. For you, this is a non-issue. You might find your chair either in a second hand thrift type place or in the children's furniture novelty area.

Thus said she has who bent a few aluminum jobbies in her day.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:21 AM   #26

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Check this link from time to time: Ebay Aluminum Chairs
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #27

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Gina,

You can drive down and pick these up.

Vintage
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:54 AM   #28

Registry
Yeah, I checked eBay first thing when it was looking bad for store buy. Thats where I got the idea from the prices that these are "Collectors Items".

The Riverside ones would be perfect.. cept they don't fold!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #29

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
In this picture I'm sitting in a wee camp chair made by Byer of Orono Maine. it's wood and canvas, and unfortunatuely according to their website they don't make it anymore. I also have their Maine Lounger model and its great too. These chairs are comfortable and very light. they fold flat and the model pictured fits neatly inside the Boler closet against the wall. Cheers, Alec

Byer of Orono Maine
Attached Thumbnails
nicktrip3.jpg  
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #30

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
Gina-

I am like you I like those old chairs too. I am short and like to have my feet touch the ground when I am sitting down. Maggie O said it, hit rummage sales and fleemarkets. We go almost every weekend and Maggie is right, people will almost give them away. About 2 weeks ago I passed up a really cool webbed rocking chair with foot stool for $2.00. I would have bought it but my husband gave me one of those looks when I said "Look at this honey, will it fit in the garage until camping season?" His look said it all, so I kept walking. Kind of kicked myself for that as it was in great shape and very comfortable to me.

If you do find one and the webbing is not in great shape you can by replacement webbing and re-string it yourself. Last I looked, my local Ace Hardware carried the replacement webbing.

I would be glad to keep my eyes peeled for a couple of webbed chairs, cheap and in good shape for you if you would like. Let me know how many you are looking for. Can't promise you a certain color but would be happy to look for you. Let me know. Now that I have said that will probably not see another one for 6 months.
BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:19 PM   #31

Registry
Hi Ellen, thanks! Yes, if you see one.. let me know. I am happy to allow you to make a profit from it..

If I have one by then.. eBay is the way!
Old 05-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #32
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
One of my Wal-Marts even have the red/white replacement webbing. No chairs, but they did have the webbing.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #33

Gina-

I will keep my eyes open. There are a few sales advertized in our paper for tomorrow and one lists camping stuff so I will see what I can do for you. I would never think to make a profit. I will charge you what I paid for it plus shipping. If you get one before you hear from me please let me know. Also going to check with my dad later this evening to see if he has any extras. He has everything. We call him Bob-Mart. It is standard for us to ask him if he has what we are looking for before we go out and buy it.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #34

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
UUhh? I have about 8 or 10 outside by the garage. I use them at pow wows to save my viewing area for the family. No ones going to steal them - or so I thought. might have to rethink that. I buy them as I see them, reweb if needed, and keep them for spares. I might break one you know.

NOW, if you tell me how I can get one or two to you, I'd be glad to.
(I like the ones with aluminum armrest best, but they are getting harder and harder to find. )
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #35

Registry
Hi Jana! I would LOVE to have one! (I already have one, that makes a good pair for my "I am not alone" facade")

I will send you a PM!

What a great group!
Old 05-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #36

Gina-

Found you a chair if you are still interested. I have sent you a PM. Will wait to hear back from you.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #37

Registry
Thanks Ellen. Jana is working on getting rid of some of her herd of them! I will adopt them, I think.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:42 AM   #38

Trailer: Minit 13 ft
Great chair! Mine has a little table that folds out on the side for whatnots.

Quote:
Not a webbed chair, but lightweight, comfortable, and folds nice and flat:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:A_GIgN...17&client=opera

My friend and I were catching baby sturgeon (and releasing them) from the fish deck of his boat last week without getting out of these chairs. We'd have probably had to stand up for a keeper.
Sitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #39

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
Don't know where you stand with the chairs but a local store here has a new set of folding webed chairs. They are green and tan but they do have green plactic armes. I could bring them to Cambria in two weeks if you still want them. They are $12.50 each. Let me know if you want me to pick them up and bring them.
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:38 AM   #40

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
Forgot to mention that they are the light weight aluminum and not the steell frame.
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote