ok, so kind of quiet here.....How about a dumb question? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #1

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
ok, so kind of quiet here.....How about a dumb question?

I'm towing with a Dodge Nitro, seven pin elec. connector and trailer package (right down to a selectable "tow/haul" mode for transmission)....

When I'm driving the alternator in the truck is supposed to charge the coach batteries. So far so good. So my question is, if I "dry camp" and run the coach batteries right down to nuttin'...will I have a dead battery in the truck in the morning??? Or should I unplug the trailer from the truck when I park for the night?
I come from boats, so the issue's never come up before..... Thanks a bunch, F
Attached Thumbnails
elecp.jpg   pelf2.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
I'm towing with a Dodge Nitro, seven pin elec. connector and trailer package (right down to a selectable "tow/haul" mode for transmission)....

When I'm driving the alternator in the truck is supposed to charge the coach batteries. So far so good. So my question is, if I "dry camp" and run the coach batteries right down to nuttin'...will I have a dead battery in the truck in the morning??? Or should I unplug the trailer from the truck when I park for the night?
I come from boats, so the issue's never come up before..... Thanks a bunch, F
Francois, the best choice for safety would be to install a relay that will disconnect the truck power from the trailer when the ignition is off. An alternative would be to always unplug the 7-pin connector. In most cases, the trailer uses very little power when you dry camp as long as you don't run any high current devices like an air conditioner or electric refrigerator. You can also extend your battery life by changing the lights you use often to LED's. My Casita will boondock for a week usually without completely draining the battery.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Typically you want your TV electric system connection to the trailer to be one way (Diod bridge isolator) Or off of an accessory circut so if the TV is off there is no connection from TV battery to trailer plug power wire. Or with a switch and relay (like a golf cart relay) again to make it a choice if you want to have your trailer getting power. Ideally the relay might only have power from an accessory circut in the TV.

Imagine pretty quick specific installations and hardware suggestions will start flowing

Otherwise yeah you can kill your TV battery running things in the trailer.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #4

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
It depends on the tow vehicle, some have factory installed relays that shut off power to the trailer unless the vehicle is running, mine does.

It's an easy check with a meter.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I always unplug the umbilical cord, even if stopped for a few hours. Simple enough to do compared to finding someone to give me a jump! YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #6

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Don't think like that ......there is no such think as a dumb question

well it might be one if you don't ask it,but once you ask it ,well then it becomes a GOOD question.

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Standard practice in RV's is to install a battery isolator relay in the charging line going to your coach. This usually goes under the TV's hood and is only energized when the ignition switch is ON, meaning you are disconnected from your vehicles battery when the key is OFF.

You can buy one at any RV store for less than $20. Be wary if they offer a solid state isolator. They offer no advantage to trailer towing and cost a lot more to buy and install.

Although they look like a common starter relay, they are different. DO NOT attempt to substitute a starter relay, they are not designed for continuous service.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Another thread that discussed this in great detail. FWIW, I unplug the harness from my tow vehicle when I park the Bigfoot.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-60678.html
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #9

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
thanks all....

that's pretty well what I expected....I never ran out of battery in my boats...but I also had a battery switch between the house and start batteries....for the first few times I'll just unplug the truck at night and check voltage in the morning (get an idea of how much power I'm using).....and dig into this deeper next spring....I'm only looking at going out two or three times before "the winter hits" around here anyway. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
20feet1.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #10

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Just stick a meter on the hot and ground of your vehicle connector and see if you have power with the key off. If you don't, no need to unplug and get a ticket or in an accident with no brakes, because you forgot to hook it back up.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #11

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
If you have a multimeter, set it on 20 volts DC. A diagram of a seven pin connector on the tow vehicle will give you a key to location of ground and 12VDC charging conductor. The pins you want are at 10 and 4 o'clock if you don't find a diagram. With ignition off, put the meter probes on these pins (doesn't matter which probe to which pin). If the meter reads 12 volts, the charging circuit is hot with ignition off. If no voltage, the charging circuit is controlled by the ignition switch and you can unplug or not as you choose. Do the same with ignition switch hot (idiot and status lights will all be on). Should read 12VDC on meter.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot